teens

skater said:
Being a parent is such a hard job (don't get me wrong, it's very rewarding too). The problem is that they are all different & what works wonders with one, just antagonates the other(s).

Is this more a girl problem? Or have I got the wrong impression from some of the posts?

Can’t say I’ve ever really had to face the same issues…..but maybe having only boys has helped. :D

Ruby, it could very well be just a girl problem. A lot of the problems from one in particular of mine get worse at a certain time of the month.

Skater,

I'm glad you said that!
At times I've had to put up with 4 daughters around the teen years!

But reading these posts has made me realize I'm not as abnormal as my daughters tell me I am.

Whatever.:D

Hi Lizzie,

I'm 27 now and I cringe now at how mean I was to my mom in my teens. And I was considered to be a really good kid - straight A's, never got in trouble, involved in activities, etc. But at that time, anything could end up in an argument. It's definitly not like that now - they will grow out of it.

One of main reasons I think I acted like that, and why teens say things like "you have no idea how hard it is to be me, live in my world", etc, etc - is because they are entering that part of their life with peer pressure, getting harshly judged, expected to start becoming and adult, make huge decisions, etc - without any life experiences behind them to know how to do it! I can remember so many times adults telling me - don't worry about this or that, when you go to college, enter the workforce, etc., none of that will matter - all the "popular crowd" will be nothing then, rah, rah - but those were all people who had the life experience to know that (and I know that now) but at the time you don't have that knowledge, and so YES, it is hard to remember what it's like to be in those situations WITHOUT the experience to know that it all changes once you hit the real world.

I don't have kids yet, but I hope that when I do, one of the valuable lessons I will remember when raising them is that dealing with life without having the experiences and foresite is totally different than dealing with it once you do.

I think that can relate to investing in IP's as well :D How many times on this forum do people say - just buy SOMETHING - good or bad - the experience you gain from actually doing it will be so well worth it!!

With teens, once they gain that experience, they will change - and you will all look back and laugh about all those grunts and slamming of doors!

Cheers,
Jen

great common sense jen. being a decade further removed (in time and attitude) i couldn't really analyse as well as you have.

they're lovely kids now (usually) and will be even nicer when they have some experience and realise that we weren't such ignorant bleeps after all.

Ruby said:
Is this more a girl problem? Or have I got the wrong impression from some of the posts?
Girl problem.

I had a long post which is now short.

But yes, boyfriend/hormones/anger management/whatever- it's there.

make it known to your kids that as soon as they finish high school, their life begins. A couple weeks after my daughter graduated I told her to pack her bags cause she is getting an apartment.
Huge growing lesson.
She sees a big difference in her attitude and that of her friends who were allowed to live at home.She also seems to have progressed quicker to wanting financial independence. Which of course is a house.

When I'm with her and her friends are there, it is like watching a teenager again. She acts totally different.(Not better)

Certainly, when I was 15 my father knew nothing.
It was amazing how much he had learnt by the time I was 25!

from Mark Twain I think.:D

lizzie said:
asides from pinning them down each week and asking 20 questions, or invading their private space/time ... how exactly is one supposed to "plug in"?

any suggestions?
Plan A: Burn a music CD of their favourite artist, underwritten with a subliminal message that repeatedly chants "you will be open, honest and communicate nicely with your parents"!! :D

Plan B: Find out which "chat" rooms they frequent, join in, pretending to be of similar age, in family type (ie. nagging/prying parents) interests etc, and share your ideas, experiences, all the while being one-step-ahead by finding out about any "schemes" they have planned against you!! :eek:

Plan C: Don't sweat it!! They ain't worth the copious amounts of Panadol not to mention any other medication it may involve to retain your sanity!! :(

But most of all, SIT BACK, RELAX, and SMILE.....you'll get the last laugh (I promise) ;) :D

Back