Telstra is going to market....will you buy their shares?

Will you buy shares in Telstra (T3)?

• Like a shot!

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I'm considering it

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Not until Phil Burgess's mother buys shares

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Never!

Votes: 42 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A fairly simple question to investors.

Assuming that the government proceeds based on Howard's announcement yesterday at 5.15pm in Hobart to sell roughly 18% of Telstra at a predicted $3.30-$3.50 price into the open market, with payments likely to be made in two installments over 18 months and a 3-5% discount on the price for small investors.

And given the regulatory and market trends in the telco sector....

Will you buy shares?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/telstra-sale-is-on/2006/08/25/1156012745181.html

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Given that the government has been given advice that it is best for them to sell now, why would it be good for me to buy? I'm thinking the government is selling now because it has good reasons to think that the price is heading lower.

On top it, telstra new CEO does not inspire me with any confidence at all, not a leader and far too focused on external factors he can't control.

Cheers,

I think Telstra ia a classic case of "management by committee".

Too many chiefs with different agendas. It should never have been sold or should have been sold in regular chunks until gone eg 20% per year for 5 years.

Alternatively, corporatise the wholesale side and float off the retail side.

Instead it has been hamstrung by politics while its competitors have been busily concentrating on growing their business.

Without politics, I do believe it will turn around but whether the three amiogos can do it is the next question.

If you wanted TLS shares...why wouldnt you buy them on market.

I guess there is going to have be some huge incentive to buy this way rather than on mkt.

WashingtonBrown said:

I guess there is going to have be some huge incentive to buy this way rather than on mkt.

Yep, I could see $3 coming up. At $3 I would seriously consider buying. The way copper prices are going, whats the value of Telstra's copper lines? [just joking that last bit].

topcropper said:
Yep, I could see $3 coming up. At $3 I would seriously consider buying. The way copper prices are going, whats the value of Telstra's copper lines? [just joking that last bit].
During the "dark days" of metal prices and when coaxial cable and glass fibre were revolutionising telephony, New York was said to be world's biggest copper mine. The scrap phone wire certainly depressed copper prices for years.

Hi all,

There is a bit of tongue in cheek with those choices Acey!

If there was a choice of 'not at this time' I could have voted for it.

This is just another blunder by the govt. Sell a bit more, put a whole lot of shares in the futures fund. The FF cannot sell for 2 years, but after this time can. This creates another huge overhang for the market and will limit any upside potential (not that I think there is a huge amount).

bye

WashingtonBrown said:

5% discount and payment by installment is a rare incentive.

The yield is quite high but the capital growth prospects are uncertain in my mind. Similar to people buying cashflow places in regional Australia .....

Having another think about it, If Telstra got to $3 I still wouldn't buy any. I know enough about charts to know that at $3 or less there would just be more bad news on the way. Telstra is not going to go bust, or even make a loss. Telstra's problem is it has no growth, and no likelyhood of growth, so if I want a nice dividend, I would be better off with a risk free term deposit than a Telstra dividend.

I just got out some old investing magazines. Telstra in Janurary 2000 was worth nearly $9, and was earning about 27c per share. That is a price to earnings of over 30. Telstra was valued as an exciting growth company. In reality it should have been valued as a boring old yield play. It was never worth $9. Not even a third of that!

Last year Telstra made 35c per share, and should make around 31c per share this year according to some of my sources. So Telstra is still making more profit today than when it was worth over $9. Profit is forecast to drop further though in the next few years.

I would not touch Telstra at any price.

The only time I could see Telstra being buyable would be in an economic disaster. Say a depression or bird flu epidemic. People would be staying at home and using the phone all day rather than travel. Telstras reliable earnings could be handy in such an event.

This is not advice. I could be wrong and Telstra may be about to boom. I just don't know. This is all speculation from a farmer who wouldn't know jack.

See ya's.

in a fast moving, dynamic, technological industry telstra is horribly hamstrung by having to maintain and expensive and aging network - that the other companies only rent from them for a pittance (government law). until true rental prices for line to other carriers, or they get rid of the having to maintain the network, pay phones, teletexting (hearing phones), disability products etc then they will never make good.

i bought many years ago for $2.50 and sold many years ago for $9.20 ... so i think i've done my dash with telstra.

lizzie said:
i bought many years ago for $2.50 and sold many years ago for $9.20 ... so i think i've done my dash with telstra.

You may have forgotten the second Telstra 1 instalment there. T1 went for, I think $3.30 when the second instalment was paid. TLS was never $2.50.

Cheers.

Just wanted to ask does anyone know how much property does Telstra
hold, a few years ago i purchased three 1000 lots of Telstra for my
then young daughters and now when i add everything up they
were very happy when the price was close to $9.00 several
years ago,now they can't understand why the price is so low..
But is has taught them a serious lesson in life, investments
work both way.
Lissie you would be the only person i know that sold TLS at $9.00
well done i wish i did.
good luck willair..
p/s if TLS go below $3.00 then i will buy more........

Aceyducey said:
Topcropper,

This post explains it :)
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17746&page=2
Employees got in at $2.50
Aceyducey

Ahh, yes. That does explain it. Sorry Lizzie. Cheers.

My own Telstra experience was, bought both T1 and T2. With T1 I was able to buy a reasonable amount as shares were unfashionable at the time. By the time T2 came around it was the build up to the stupid tech boom, and every man and his dog wanted them, so I got given a way smaller amount. So I bought T1 for $3.30, and a smaller amount of T2 for $7.50, I think.

Saw the light a few years ago and sold the lot for about $5.50 for a small capital gain, or counting divs, a much better gain. I think not many people have made money from this dog, but I made a bit.

See ya's.

I think Telstra has a great asset base that is being grossly undervalued.
Yes this will likely have a negative effect on the shares, but it's still a strong company.

ps I have never bought Telstra shares (yet)

lowb said:
bit risky, telstra is a sinking ship
if buying, it definitely wouldnt be a long term

-my 2c

No thanks

Buffet made his fortune on the back of a few very huge deals, one of which was buying 10% of the Washington Post when a negative environment for equities had their shares at a ridiculous (to Buffet!) discount to the value of the business.

Telstra on the other hand has destroyed huge amounts of share holder value in a ripper of a bull market. It's just possible that there are some seismic threats to these business's that aren't fully appreciated yet, I say this based on the struggles with telco's in the region, NZ and Singapore, confounding many smart investors who wonder what is going on. I remember Peter Spann at the investor update mentioning how Telstra was confusing him.

No doubt there is decent/excellent? turn around potential in such a stock but for me there are 1000's of easier and more lucrative games to be playing in the markets than trying to time bottoms in a stock.

I bought T1- and sold at about $7.50.

I didn't have the cash to buy T2- I would have.

I remember a work colleague, some years ago, who was delighted that he was able to buy Telstra shares at $5. His reasoning- it was a good price. My skepticism- it was on a long term down trend.

But Peter Spann has (I think) wondered about the down trend (at least at one stage). The company's financials were very good, but there was a very nregative attitude to the company.

We did a similar thing to Geoff, bought into T1.

In fact we spoke to a lot of our friends and family and asked them if they were taking up their allocation. If they weren't we asked for it...this way we built up a fair-sized stake.

Then at an appropriate point we sold all the shares and used it as a deposit on a property. Sold somewhere in the $8 range from memory.

When T2 came round, we didn't want to buy in as there was no upside (being in the industry, and having done work with Telstra I could see what was coming). The rest is pretty much history.

Personally I don't see much upside for the company today at it's present size.

Telstra is one of the most profitable Telcos in the world. Translation, there's not much space to increase margins even through cost reductions.

Telstra is currently facing a market in transition from high-margin, monopoly (they have 90% of the market) PSTN phone calls (the ones most people make today), to low-margin, highly competitive VOIP phone calls. Translation: The amount of bread in Telstra's main bread and butter is decreasing, meaning that while they can remain profitable the profits will decline.

Telstra is borrowing to pay dividends. Translation: Steve Navra will tell you how dangerous it is when a company cannot fund dividends out of cashflow, they are not sustainable. And a twelve-month commitment to continue to provide dividends is nothing.

Broadband is the battleground for the future - as IP (Internet Protocol) will carry everything from voice to video, cheaper, faster and digitally. There are over 600 ISPs in Australia, plus the mobile phone companies and wireless providers. Telstra has 50% of the market through Bigpond. Certainly it may be able to grow further, but at what cost? And broadband isn't as profitable as the services it replaces. Translation, Telstra has to spend a lot to grow market share, and each additional point costs it more. At some point it becomes uneconomic, and the margins are down anyway.

Telstra is trying to shift to being a content provider, offerring movies, music and game downloads and live video and news at the moment....but how much is this really worth in terms of revenue and profit. Everyman and his dog is competing in this space now, and Telstra lacks a number of key advantages - for instance Telstra doesn't create content, so everything they sell is available elsewhere, often for cheaper prices. Translation: Even Telstra's management doesn't see a future for Telstra as a pure telco....and the content game is intensely competitive and controlled by the content producers - who can undercut Telstra's prices almost at will.

Finally, Telstra is one year into a five year structural change. I've not seen it documented anywhere what the outcome of this change will be (and I read all Telstra's public papers on the matter) or how it will drive better returns to investors. Certainly they're doing the right thing, but it means there's four years of pain left for shareholders before the light. Translation, don't expect quick profits from Telstra, there's worse to come.

So while I reckon that Sol is making all the right moves to make Telstra more effective and a lasting major player in the market in the future, this doesn't necessarily mean that Telstra will ever again be as dominant, as large or as profitable as it is today.

I'm happy to go on the record saying that we've reached a high water mark for the company. We're now going to see the tide go out for a long time before it turns.

Oh, and their wireless 3G network is a bit of a furfy....the cable network is also - DSL (ADSL2+, VDSL and further emerging standards) can achieve almost as good results with significantly less expenditure, and prolongs the life of their current copper network. All a cable network does is raise the barriers to entry, so Telstra can shake off the other 650 ISPs using their copper network.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back