Telstra Pit on my property?...?

Greetings all!

Been a long time since I was active here, but nice to see most everyone still around. We've just relocated, buying a new PPOR on 5000 sqm with gorgous mountain views all around. Aaah, regional Victoria at it's best.

Interestingly, and I only really thought about this after settlement, but Telstra have a very clearly marked pit inside our boundary line. Close examination of the title has verified that it is about 4 metres inside, with definitely no easement marked for Telstra.

I'm tempted to write a "please explain" letter (politely) to them, and ask them on what basis they are there... but I'm wondering if anyone here has any thoughts first.

Clearly, 3-4 sq. metres out of 5000 aren't an issue... but OTOH, I wouldn't knock back a small income stream if it only cost a letter or two. (Whaddya reckon - free line access???)

Advice, experiences, or even the "You're a greedy pig" responses invited... ;)
I'm still unsure.

Thanks,

Luke

Of course you are a greedy pig, but what's wrong with that ;)

What is the Telstra pit for?

Usually Telstra run their services in the footpath outside; or in overhead wires.

If there is a pit on your property, it is probably there to service your property.

Get rid of it and you may have to switch to Optus :D

Telstra

Hi Luke

I had the misfortune of finding some Telstra infrastructure 4 metres inside our boundary, with an auger on an excavator :( The "Dial Before You Dig" maps did not show the correct position). As you might expect from the $3bn p.a profit making dinosaur, accuracy in record keeping is not all that great.

They tried to charge me $5K for damage, until I proved neither I or they knew where the lines were. When damage occurs, they send contractors who charge hugely inflated rates, bill Telstra, and telstra then pursues the property owner. (I saw the repair the guy did, I reckon it took about 2 hours, so that's a pretty decent hourly rate of $2,500 per hour !)

If you order the dial before you dig maps from 1100 they will show where they think the cables go, and give you pages of legal guff about all the things they can do with your property. So I really doubt you'll get anything out of them.

But whatever you do, don't dig anywhere near there till you have the DBYD maps !

Cheers
TryHard

Maybe you can sue the Dial-before-you-dig line for giving you incorrect advise....and they can sue Telstra ;)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Heh ...

Sue Telstra. Nice one Acey ... I'm just happy if my phone works - I'm hardly likely to poke a sleeping hippo with a stick ! ;)

Back