Tenant Appliances Package

If I offer a home appliances package and the tenant gets injured arising from the use of these appliances,

1. am I covered by Insurance for injury to tenant ?

2. If tenant signs a waiver accepting all responsibility for any injury resulting from the use of selected appliances, would this make a legal difference ?

3. Would these fall under the same insurance coverage for say the oven, or other fixtures and fittings ?

It looks like a great way to add value to get a higher weekly rent, but the legal aspects worry me. How would I cover the legal side ?

Thanks

HWD

As I understand it, most home contents insurance policies (not sure about buildings insurance) have a public liability component (some are $5 million, some $10 million).

Check your policy statements / ask your broker.

Mark

Originally posted by hwd007

2. If tenant signs a waiver accepting all responsibility for any injury resulting from the use of selected appliances, would this make a legal difference ?

HWD

Been thinking about this. I am not sure if there is any simple answer.

From my basic knowledge of the law, the waiver itself would be a form of a contract - and as such the validity of that contract would depend on several factors (consideration, relative positions of each party, etc).

To avoid or at least mitigate problems down the track, I think you are best advised to seek legal advice.

MB

Yea, I dont know if Landlords insurance has a public liability component. I dont hink it does. As its not part of the building fixtures, so may neeed to take out extra contents insurance that offers the public liability component.

Back