Tenant asking for a rent reduction

There is a limit in the ACT to the amount rent can be raised but you haven't received a rent increase, you went in already paying the rental amount you stated.

Rental vacancy here is pretty tight, you appear to be paying around the median for the unit. From a landlords point of view, the land tax here is OUTRAGEOUS !!!!!! so that has to passed on to someone.

No harm in trying...but as Savanna said, rental vacancy here is extremely tight so I doubt they'll reduce the rent. But as you mentioned, you've always paid in advance, inspections have been great...who knows, they might be happy to meet your request in order to keep a good tenant (I wouldn't bet on it though).

Jamie

....exactly right James....some people just don't get it.

Just the other month, I hit my truck driving Tenants up for a modest raise, nothing too outrageous, in line with market expectations, a slight increase of $ 3,000 per month above what they were paying.

The head truckie bloke said "Awww, c'mon Dazz, we've been good Tenants, how about cutting us some slack."

I said "Yeah fair enough, you've argued your case well, instead I'll drop it back $ 2,000 per month below what you were paying cos you've had a little whinge. On one condition though."

He said "Wassa mate ??"

I said "every Fridee arvo it's your job to put on a Barbbee and we can all sit around and have pink fairy cakes and lemonade."

He said "Done - you're on."

See how easy negotiation is !! Everyone has a win. He gets a slight decrease in rent, and I get to have some scrumptious pink fairy cakes every week and a chinwag with some wuly truly top blokes. Top stuff.

NOT.

rofl nice post

The issue is you rented in Dec. Those other properties rented in the quieter
months.

Dec-Feb from the LL point of view is the best time to rent in Canberra.
Students and public servents are coming to down and need places to stay.

Hi, I want to add to chilliblue's comment. Same thing happened to me. Tenant didn't ask for rent reduction as such but said he would continue renting if I built him a shed! 3 months' unpaid rent.

I sent in the bailiff & he found $5000 on the day we would have locked him out.

I was thankful that he moved out.

KY

In my mere opinion, you can ask but don't expect a favorable answer. Your landlord knows how much it will cost you to move, not to mention the inconvenience of your time with packing, moving, changing phones, electricity etc.

I notice tenants do not ask for their rent to be increased when rents move upwards. ;)

Your Landlord, like most of us here- is running a business.

I will only lower the rent when:

1. The tenant has moved out of his/her own accord and the market implies it.
2. I am carrying out work on the property that inconveniences the tenant.

Regards JO

Back