Tenant requesting fly-screens

Hi all,

Question for you insightful people. I have a new set of tenants that have signed a lease for my property. At the point of putting forward their application they did not request anything to be done, but on signing the lease (which is now signed), they have asked whether I would consider installing fly-screens on the property.

I am wondering about peoples thoughts on this.

Firstly, I expect it would cost at least $2,000 to install (I am not especially aware of what these things cost, so that is a random guestimate), depending on the number of doors they are requesting they be installed on (I have three single sliding doors and one double sliding door in the property, and I think they're probably around $400 or so a door). Plus I would need to get strata approval etc.

Secondly, the rent has already been agreed without the fly screens - I am not sure whether it justifies increasing the rent to account for it.

Thirdly, I wonder whether there could be alternatives (fly spray?, using one of those automatic dispensers) they could use (or that I could consider supplying).

Fourthly, the tenants do pay a decent amount of rent (it's a 2 bedroom property going for $650+), and the property does not have air-con, so this is perhaps a reasonable alternative (as they can't exactly just keep all the doors closed sometimes).

Fifthly and finally, it is a property that eventually we do want to live in ourselves and this is something we had planned to do in the future. So it's not a wasted investment in that sense.

As a very new reader - and property owner - your thoughts appreciated.

If you plan on living in it in the future, it may be worthwhile, while it can be considered a deduction.

I would require an increase in rent tho. Tell them it will cost $2k +
Ask them what they think is fair?
It might be more than you are thinking :)

Still a bit of a newbie at all of this - it can't be deducted though, can it, as it's a capital expense? Doesn't it just increase what I am able to depreciate the property by (unless that is what you were referring to as a deduction; the ability to depreciate it).

Thanks for the feedback! :)

In all my depreciation reports flyscreens have just been depreciated on top of the building which is mostly 2.5%.

2,000 of flyscreens therefore would be $50 a year deduction.

Unless I got that totally wrong of course

The flyscreens we use, you just continously replace the flywire...over and over and over....which is why we rarely do it now.

For us, it is a current year deduction. (repair)

If it's something that you would consider doing for yourselves anyway, perhaps just get something permanent (in a style that you're happy with) - and you don't need to do all the doors and windows, just some.

As it is in the same condition as they inspected it, it's really tough luck for the tenants.

I think it's a good idea to have them, but either do it for your own future benefit, or do it now in exchange for a rent increase.

As it's an improvement to the property and will be over $300, you cannot claim it as a deduction this year, instead you must add it to the cost base and depreciate it over several years.

Matt

Flyscreens for windows cost between $40-50 per window.

For myself i would want to have at least 1 flysceen in each room so windows can be opened. I would not worry about them for the sliding doors. so if the house has 6 rooms the cost would be around $240-$300.

The tenants are requesting them on the bedrooms doors, essentially. Apartment doesn't really have windows. Just lots of sliding doors.

Ok, thanks all. I'll get a few quotes. Perhaps simple fly screens aren't as expensive as I thought (makes me wonder whether I should ask the same of my landlord!).

I have a unit where nearly every window in the house is a sliding door to the balcony. I got basic sliding screens for not too much money. They are not security doors, just for the purpose of air flow. I wouldn't be getting the good stuff if you are not moving in for a while cos you may be disappointed if they get damaged.

^ Good point. I think I'll just go with the basic screens for now then; when I move in I might want to make other adjustments anyway.

You can get flyscreens that have a aluminum or heavier duty plastic mesh but its way thinner than security mesh. Still looks like a lot like normal flyscreen.
It takes more effort to tear.

Trialing on 2 doors on a rental with the plastic mesh and gut feeling is I will be replacing all of them with it as the old ones tear/age.

Consider pets. Flyscreens are damaged by cats and dogs.

Flyscreens do affect airflow a lot and some tenants remove them because of this.

Did you price the screens in your link? How much?

Security flyscreens screens, consider fire.

Hi,

I guess it is too early to tell as yet, but if they look like good tenants, I'd, as much as is fair and reasonable, look after them. In return, you would think they will look after you and your property??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

the tenants do pay a decent amount of rent (it's a 2 bedroom property going for $650+), and the property does not have air-con

......but they agreed to pay $ 650 p.w. probs cos it's a good location and convenient for them.

I wouldn't waste any money at all on flyscreens, they don't add value to the capital or the rent.

Installing A/C does.

This is a box you bought. You want CG and rent increases from your box. A/C gives you both. Flyscreens give you neither.

They're also a fraction of the cost of AC.

I do intend to install it at some stage - but it has quite a long lead time (strata approval, etc).

Back