Tenant requests - reasonable?

So, this has never happened to me before. Tenants sign lease, pick up keys a few days before they're actually going to move in. They then come back to the RE agent demanding another clean (I've been through the place and it's very clean imo, and the agent who did the original inspection report agreed - however apparently some light fittings are not up the tenant's standards), the garden to be tidied and the carpet cleaned (even though now you can't ask tenants to clean carpets on departure). Agent basically insists I do all these things asap to get off to a good start. It's not so much the cost as the principle - don't you take the property 'as is' when you sign the lease?

Honestly, we've personally rented many places significantly more expensive than the one we're letting, and I'd find it perfectly acceptable as is - although apparently my standards aren't high enough. I kind of don't even want the tenants to move in at this stage, because they already have 'high maintenance' written all over them. Thoughts? Opinions? I will add these are not their first requests - they had several demands, including lower rent, shorter term, and later move-in date before even agreeing to sign the lease to begin with. I just wanted a hassle-free let, although it certainly hasn't worked out that way.

I would stand my ground on this. They have paid rent in advance (I assume), have picked up the keys before they move in (which I wouldn't allow generally) and now want things done.

I'd stick to my guns, get the agent to tell them that she has signed off on the cleanliness and they are free to move on at the end of their lease.

If you can, take photos of things so you have a good record of the level of cleanliness BEFORE they move in.

If it is too late for that, make sure you see a copy of the entry condition report and ensure that the level of detail in that report covers your butt for when they leave, just in case they leave it dirty as a "get square".

Having said all that, I spent hours cleaning a large house prior to tenants moving in. We are talking highish rent $750 per week (house value probably $1.2M or more). It was clean, but the tenant was a bit upset because she had paid $700 to have the house she was leaving professionally cleaned, and there were a few things she was unhappy about.

In this case, we actually told her to go ahead and have a cleaner come in to get it up to her standard. We do want a good relationship, and this level of house and rent is just a different standard to a $400 per week IP that I generally do a clean before a new tenant comes in.

Just our offer was enough. She didn't get a cleaner in after all. When she leaves, I will expect to be as clean as when I left it, no more and no less. I will not expect a professional clean, but I will expect it to be cleaned to the same level as when she moved in.

We have had no trouble from her. In fact, haven't heard a peep since that first exchange of emails.

In your case, however, unless it is a high end property I'd tell them it has passed muster with the PM and that is good enough for you.

As a tenant, I'd be asking for those things if it were somewhere on the lease that that was the condition the property should be left in.
(eg if it was in my lease that the carpets had to be cleaned on departure, I'd want them cleaned before I moved in). Likewise, if it's in the lease that they're responsible for maintaining the gardens, then I'd also want them up to standard before I moved in. Or if these things should be clean for a property inspection (our old PM used to send a checklist of things that should be done for an inspection, and cleaning light fittings and ceiling fans were on that list).

If it's not that specific, I'd simply note it on the condition report (eg dirty light fittings, messy garden) take some photos and not bother cleaning to such a high standard on departure.

If its simply that they're fussy about cleanliness, I'd tell them to bugger off and clean it themselves. With the exception of the carpet though - personally I wouldn't want to move into a new place if the carpets hadn't been cleaned. Would you? However I would only do this if they agreed to clean them when they left. If they don't (because you can't force them) and they're only on a short lease, then just do it when they leave.

I once moved into a place that still had dirt and dust everywhere from the renovations that had just been finished. I just noted it on the condition report and wasn't too bothered about leaving it spotless when I left - it was still much cleaner when I left than when I arrived.

Yes, I'd stand your ground, if the light fittings aren't up to scratch it should have been discussed prior to signing the lease, same with the garden situation. As for how clean it it, everybody's level of cleanliness is different- I'd take video footage of the property as well as photos. If the Agent has signed off on it being clean, then I'd put it back on them- the agent can pay for it to be cleaned to the tenants standard if they feel the need- I wouldn't though. Can I ask why the keys have been handed over prior to the lease starting? :)

Holly

Appreciate all the replies!

Thanks Wylie, I'd call it a 'medium' property, not high end like the one you describe but I appreciate your story. So I should probably have just pushed the lease date back to their actual move-in date? It's just that they originally said they would take the lease a few days earlier, and since I had reduced the rent I thought they should stick to their end. Lesson learned, I guess.

toohard, appreciated, yes I agree particularly re the garden. I think it's the carpet cleaning that concerns me most, if they can't be asked to do it when they leave. Re your other question now I think of it every single place I've rented had wooden/tile floors except one, and since the carpet seemed fine to me in that place, I didn't ask specifically if it had been steam cleaned. It just didn't occur to me. The carpets are clean; I just don't know how recently they've been steam cleaned.

Holly, thanks for the opinion, yep, agent signed off on it being clean (in fact we did some additional cleaning already just to get it up to scratch) and lease has started - they just haven't moved in yet.

Not true, I'm afraid. You cannot have a clause in the lease that says the carpets must be "professionally cleaned". You can still insist they be cleaned.

Must be a WA thing then, our contract stated carpet had to be steam cleaned on deaprture and use the PM recommended person

ExSyd

You've kept you end of the deal :) Hope it turns out ok and your tenants don't turn into "high maintenance" headaches ...Best of luck :)

Holly

Thoughts? Opinions? I will add these are not their first requests - they had several demands, including lower rent, shorter term, and later move-in date before even agreeing to sign the lease to begin with. I just wanted a hassle-free let, although it certainly hasn't worked out that way.

And won't be their lasts requests. I look forward to your future posts.

Agent basically insists I do all these things asap to get off to a good start.

I thinks it a great idea!!
Tell the agent to go and clean the place up and tidy the yard so that he "can get off to a good start".
As for steam cleaning, if it has not been done in a while it should be.
That's just the price you pay for having carpet, and why many places don't.

troublesome tenants

i have found in my experience this can be tenants setting themselves up for the vacating to be filthy.
Quite often, tenants feel they have been 'ripped off' by a previous agent, and want to make sure that this time around they have the power. i've had places professionally cleaned (including carpets steam cleaneD) and tenants come back saying the place was filthy.
some tenants are out to protect themselves, and other tenants are out to screw you over.
i would be VERY careful with that report. and i'd expect that when they leave the tenants leave the place dirty.
in regards to the carpets, tenants can't be charged to clean them, however i tend to not give my tenants much of an option. i just tell them i will need a copy of the carpet cleaning receipt. i find a little bit of pressure goes a long way.
however, if they refuse point blank, i would recommend getting the carpets done yourself at the end of their tenancy.

Then again; the last place we rented, the PM had promised things would be cleaned before the lease started. We got the keys and the place was still a mess (mould in showers, etc). Gross. We chased it up, so they 'hired' a cleaner (was apparently there for a whole day scrubbing), she only managed to get rid of the worst of it - still very grotty. Unfortunately we had to move our stiff in then; so we wrote a VERY detailed inspection report (14pages in all) and photographed everything. When we moved out, it was definitely cleaner then when we moved in and the B@#!tard still chassed us claiming we hadn't carpet cleaned (load of crap).

Then again our LL was just an ***. He managed to go through 5 PM's in the short time we lived there (1.5yrs), ALL of them dumping him because he would refuse to do even basic maintainence that he was required too. (Like sending a plumber out when the sewage backed up due to roots in the drains, and flooded the house...)

Hello

Can I just pop in? My tenats are asking to replace fan/light combo unit in bathroom as it is noisy. I know it is a bit noisy as it is old but perfectlly in good working condition and has been in the same condition since they moved in 3 moths ago. Do you think I should replace? I am not keen to do this. They asked for $5/week off at the begining and paying rent on time.

Cheers

Our fan light heater combo is noisy too in our own home.

If there is nothing wrong with it, I would not be doing anything.

If it isn't faulty then there is no need to replace it - at the end of the day they are only using it when in the shower who here actually requires silence to shower???? perhaps they can't hear their singing over it?? :)

In regards to the original post - meet them in the middle. In VIC the act states that the property must be in a reasonably clean condition. Check your states equivilant and send them a letter saying something along the lines of

"Dear (insert tenants name),

Thank you for bringing your concerns to me regarding the cleanliness of the house. As you are aware section (insert section of your states Act) of (your states) residential tenancies act states (quote act). When we inspected the property we found it to meet the act's requirements.

However, I do appreciate your cleanliness and would like to meet you half way on the issue. I am prepared to have the carpets steam cleaned for you by a trade of my choice. Typically when someone moves into a new property one of the first things they do is clean the property so I am not prepared to send someone to clean again.

I hope this compromise will get us off to a good start together in our relationship and wish you all the best in your new home.

Kind Regards
(insert name here)

Best thing about this is that it is really in your best interests to have the carpets cleaned regularly just as general care / maintenance of your homes carpets. Also, they will think you are lovely as you are thanking them even though realistically you are not giving them everything they want. If they continue with requests they should soon learn that anything that is totally unrealistic will be met with "that is fine if it is carried out at the tenants expense and either left when they vacate or reinstated to it's original condition".

Back