Tenants and pets

I have a property advertised for rent at $415 per week.

I have had a few people look at the property and one has asked the question if i would allow pets? They are 2 small dogs which I dont mind at all.

Can you a negotiate a $10 increase if they havent signed the contract or do you have to go with the advertised price?

Or am i just being greedy?:confused:

This depends entirely on your state law, same for pet bonds.

But if it is negotiated and all parties agree, I can't really see any body complaining. Do you self manage?

Don't scare them off though! You may have other options, for example, in VIC if the rent per week is over $350 you can ask for a higher bond, perhaps check for a state equivilant to cover yourself for the possible pet damage?

I accepted a small dog for no extra rent.

Oh, but the tenant did pay 12 months up front at her insistence (@$300/week).

I'm not complaining :D

Just dont forget to include a mandatory flea treatment upon vacation (same as the carpet cleaning inclusions in most rental agreements, with receipts to be provided) :)

Don't charge any extra rent for pets. Make them make good on any damage (put the wording in the lease) and pay for the property to be flea treated when they vacate.

Small indoor dogs who are desexed and toileted trained don't do any damage.

Funny, kids do (much) more damage than pets but you never see a kid clause, or people offering higher rent because they've got kids.

My cat does absolutely nothing but with a toddler I've had to clean accidents off the carpet, assorted drawings on the walls, they swing on things like towel rails and break them, they pull plants up ...

i think if you are willing to accept pets you should advertise your property as 'pet's considered'. your ad will really stand out! put a higher price on it too, slightly above the high end of market range.

I also add a pet clause to my leases when a pet is moving into the house, it states the address, the tenants name, the lease dates and also a descirption of the animal with council registration number and then the following:

The landlord gives permission for you to have one dog on the premises providing the following conditions are met;

• The permission is given for one dog only. Written permission must be obtained prior to any other pet living on the premises.
• Upon vacating the property the tenant agrees to have the premises treated for fleas by a professional pest control company.
• In addition to having the carpets steam cleaned the tenant will also have the window furnishings professionally cleaned and all window furnishings and carpets deodorised when vacating.
• The tenant agrees to repair any damage done to the gardens or property by the animal. If the tenant does not repair then they will pay the landlord the sum required to repair damage.
• Should the property manager deem it necessary during the term of the tenancy you will be required to have carpets and window furnishings cleaned and deodorised and the property treated for fleas while still in occupation of the property.
• The dog will be kept outside at all times.

The tenant agrees that they have read, understand and agree to the above conditions.

Very handy to have that signed by the tenants and yourself as if there are issues with fleas and pet smell during the tenancy you are covered :).

What about a small dog that likes to be inside? A true family dog doesn't spend all its time outside
Then just alter the points to suit the pet, tenant and landlord. this example was for a large dog and all of my owners are warned that any pets will likely be sleeping in the laundry even if we aren't told!!

If the dog must stay outside, why would there be a need for carpet, window, flea treatments?
Just assume they will be having the pets be a part of the family and live inside.

Totally agree and I doubt that anyone that signs up for a "dogs only allowed outside" policy would actually adhere to it.

Cheers

Jamie

Over a year in our rental and we have only had the dog inside once, and i carried her from the back door to the front door. Her paws have never touched the house

If the dog must stay outside, why would there be a need for carpet, window, flea treatments?
Just assume they will be having the pets be a part of the family and live inside.

I thought that too, but assumed that fleas jump around a the like. Its still a good point, but perhaps it relates to Jamies point. Just because someone agrees to keep the pet outside how can you be sure thats whats happened?

The flea treatment is a combination of both, irresponsible pet owners will have an animal smell in their house even if the dog is outside and fleas can be carried in on your clothing etc when coming back inside after spending time with the animal, the idea of the pet clause is just to try to cover yourself a bit in all circumstances, that's all!! Better to cover these basis than to not mention it and find that it is badly needed along the way.

Having just gone to an vacancy final inspection today of one of our rental properties I have reconsidered my thoughts on allowing pets. The tenant had outside dogs, a couple of cats and goldfish. The carpet has been cleaned and deoderised and the place has been sprayed for pests. My rental agency asked that I go along to the inspection as they had tried to yesterday, but the smell was so bad that they had to open every window and door in the place to air it, gagging all the while. One day later and the smell is still there, albeit not as strong as the day before.

As far as the house is concerned it has been totally cleaned and all looks really good, but the smell would be unbearable to live with and hence is unrentable.

So now that we will need to replace all carpets to get rid of the stench, I have asked the RE to change the property to No Pets allowed.

Kinga

Having just gone to an vacancy final inspection today of one of our rental properties I have reconsidered my thoughts on allowing pets. The tenant had outside dogs, a couple of cats and goldfish. The carpet has been cleaned and deoderised and the place has been sprayed for pests. My rental agency asked that I go along to the inspection as they had tried to yesterday, but the smell was so bad that they had to open every window and door in the place to air it, gagging all the while. One day later and the smell is still there, albeit not as strong as the day before.

As far as the house is concerned it has been totally cleaned and all looks really good, but the smell would be unbearable to live with and hence is unrentable.

So now that we will need to replace all carpets to get rid of the stench, I have asked the RE to change the property to No Pets allowed.

Kinga

this should have been addressed during routine inspections. was the pm asleep?

I have allowed pets in the past, but never again.
The last rental property, stank of pet urine in the corridor outside of the bedrooms.
The tenant tried to steam clean the carpet himself on vacating, got it all wet and the stench went through to the underfloor, where it took a very long time to disappear.
I don't know how they could sleep in those bedrooms with that stench.
The rental manager did not note the problem and returned the bond money!
That was the end of that agency. We were going to renovate any way but pulling up that carpet was terrible. i threw it straight into the waste bin, where it continued to smell until it was taken way.
Other properties had verandah posts gnawed by dogs and the tenant doing a really bad attempt at repairs.
So, no more pets ever!

Back