Tenants in property 2 months now request small dog??

what period do you depreciate the dog over?

I appreciate both my dogs every day. Even with they bark, scratch and wee.

As for tenants' dogs, I always say yes. Good dogs owners are usually stable people. Bad dog owners shouldn't be allowed to live in anyones house and never ever in one of mine. If they keep a messy house now, then having a dog will allow them to keep it messy. If the house is tidy, I think they will keep it so with a dog.

But your tenants signed a no pet lease, then it's quite rightly your call. As someone else said, check to see as they may already have one.

Do you want the answer in dog years?

I think that the general rule is 7 human years which equates to 49 dog years. Alternatively you can use the straight line depreciation method over the life of the dog (whichever is greater).

But please double check this with your accountant.

Hi

Should you wish to change your mind regarding the pet request, check to see whether you can then seek a pet bond. This is an entitled request by a landlord to a tenant who would like to have a pet. The sum is aimed at helping with fumigation costs at the time the lease concludes. This one-off amount has just been increased from $100 to now $260.

Good luck.

Pingu, l reckon this huge increase will just lead to people hiding their pets. I allow pets in my ips. Had no real problems to date.
Lease states proffessional flea treatment at the end of lease, all damage to be repaired etc etc.
Pet owners are finding it increasinly difficult to get a place to live with their pets. Its a very fast growing pool of tennants where l live.
I have easily charged an extra $10 per week once they say " oh l have a dog/cat is that ok" Thats another $520 a year in my pocket.
My PM also demands dog registration papers from tennants. This also sorts a few out.
cheers

I remember showing up to a general inspection about 15 minutes early only to see the tenants putting a labrador into a ute and sneaking it out of the house for the inspection. I think when it really comes down to it you're right, they will pretty much have a pet if they want one. The benefit to them asking is you can terminate them if you find a pet (on the basis of breach of residential tenancy agreement) and you haven't approved them.
If you do approve a pet, you can (according to the new 2010 residential tenancy regulations) require them to have the property steam cleaned at the end of the tenancy.

All in all, if you have the room for a pet, i would recommend you allow it if you have a wonderful tenant. Put the rent up $10 to accomodate it though, you may as well!!

Instruct PM to tell tenants No Pets as per their signed rental lease and to also inform tenants that Owner would have charged $25 per week more in rent to cover cost of pet damage due to previous experiences.

Now I am not so harsh as I allow pets in some of our properties and not others but come on the tenants signed for no pets, so that is your expectation.

QUOTE]

Just make it up & lie you reckon Sheryn ? LOL

Or has the OP stated they wanted $25/week ?

Keep in mind everyone, if the tenant is on a fixed term lease you can't increase the rent. Pet or no pet.

No use telling someone to up the rent if there is a legal contract in place that forbids it for that period of time or if the rent was recently increased.

:)

Keep in mind everyone, if the tenant is on a fixed term lease you can't increase the rent. Pet or no pet.

No use telling someone to up the rent if there is a legal contract in place that forbids it for that period of time or if the rent was recently increased.

If the tenant and LL mutually agree to terminate the existing lease, and then write up a new one including a pet?

This is what we have done in the past.

Buy them a free cat instead .. much more suitable for a house with no backyard. You can pick one up from the RSPCA for $100 bucks ;)

Buy them a free cat instead .. much more suitable for a house with no backyard. You can pick one up from the RSPCA for $100 bucks ;)

A Free Cat, costs $100.00 :confused:

And if as per above an appreciated dog, depreciates at 7 years; how about a cat, what is the depreciation ?

Yes you can. With agreement from both parties the original lease is terminated at the same time that the new agreement is signed.

However, as this incur a fee from the agent and it is the tenant making the request, then they should be responsible for all costs.

My opinion in this case is that I would not allow any animal as the tenant would not have made the selection process for this property and this owner.

If the tenant changes their mind about the situation that is there problem and it is up to the agent to enforce the decision.

The tenant can always pay out the lease and move elsewhere.

Yes you can. With agreement from both parties the original lease is terminated at the same time that the new agreement is signed.

However, as this incur a fee from the agent and it is the tenant making the request, then they should be responsible for all costs.

My opinion in this case is that I would not allow any animal as the tenant would not have made the selection process for this property and this owner.

If the tenant changes their mind about the situation that is there problem and it is up to the agent to enforce the decision.

The tenant can always pay out the lease and move elsewhere.
Most things go if you can get all parties to agree in writing :), also varies state to state.

Given the description of the yard in the first post, a cat sounds far more appropriate.

I think the common thought here is "if you say no, they will probably do it anyway " sadly, that opinion is probably correct. have an additional pet clause added to the lease, must abide by council rules & provide animal registration numbers, must have the house treated for fleas & carpets cleaned at the end of the lease & as deemed necessary during their tenancy etc. etc.

Good Luck!

Any thoughts on the type of dog? I had an investment lace where they were working dogs, caged up. Surprise surprise the son then got a dog 9without a request to the landlord). That dog then became pregnant and there were a few pups then as well.

allow em at your own risk i say

What type of dog? I suggest this one...

Attachments

• the-perfect-dog.jpg
    the-perfect-dog.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 60
When I was a tenant I asked if I could have a dog. The answer was NO. A couple of weeks later a friend of someone who used to live there came pretending he thought his friend still lives there. I instantly though the guy was a friend of my landlord or actually he was the landlord. But no way to prove it. Normally dogs come to a door first. I am not sure if this will be a legal issue but I was impressed by my creative landlord.:D

I know I have told this story before but this thread calls for it again :D.

My friend's parents rented the house next door through an agent. Tenants didn't know the landlord lived next door.

Each time the PM did an inspection, friend's parents watched from their house as the dogs were put into a car and driven away for the day.

Tenants clearly thought they were very clever. Landlords clearly knew otherwise, but didn't make a fuss. I love the story. Makes me think... "you never know who is watching you".

Back