Tenants keeping 2 massive dogs - breach of lease

Dear Ms Ali

Dogs have doggy odour...

Generally speaking, Walls floors and carpets need steam cleaning , cleaning with sugar soap or a coat of paint after a doggy tenancy..
I had a nice flatmate with a dog.. It Stunk! She took it to the Vet to ask what she could do about it, and they sad it is the OILS given off by particular breeds..
Nothing could be done about it , sad but true.

I hope this helps

As a rule and using averages here, unfortunately if you allow dogs, or a family with 10 kids as compared to an average DINKS couple, then the level of "wear n tear" that was "fair" must be increased. If a landlord has the right to state when advertising a property - "no pets" - then I don't see how that right can be extinguished by deceitful tenants moving pets in later. But, as we know there is no level playing field here and may be differences between States of Australia.
Cheers
crest133

Hi MsAli,
Unsure where you are up too but you first need to find out from the tenant if the animals are be minded for a few weeks or there full time. If full time they are in breech of their lease therefore a 14 day breech letter is to be forwarded tell them to remove the animals or you will take the matter further (apply no NCAT to have the matter heard and lease terminated). Once they recieve your letter they may then wish to negotiate a new deal with you to keep the animals and you then could look at extra rent etc. Need to take one step at a time.

My understanding from reading this forum is that tenants cannot be breached for having pets. I've read here that it is highly unlikely the tribunal would allow tenants to be told to leave due to this.

We've always allowed pets, so have never had to test this, but it seems from reading many posts here that tenants would win if this went to tribunal.

If the tenants or landlord went to the NCAT to have the matter heard it would depend which way the wind is blowing from to see who would win.

If the tenants or landlord went to the NCAT to have the matter heard it would depend which way the wind is blowing from to see who would win.

Sigh - a common misconception which gets panned around here.

Which prevents landlords from educating themselves about how the law actually works.

We will be issuing a notice to vacate early September. Our trust has been breached and we don't intend to keep this tenancy going beyond it's lease. I don't feel right about these tenants. As much as I'm not a helicopter landlord, I intend to drive by as I don't feel confident about them running some sort of business from the property. The driveway door had a green scafold-thing. So anyway, it will cost us the leasing fee, but good riddins.

I've always allowed dogs, so long as they understand they're responsible for damage. I figure if a disabled person had a service dog it'd be allowed, so what's the difference?

Frustratingly, you can't actually specifically charge extra rent for pets in a number of states, but I figure that this is offset by the fact that some pet owners appreciate the trust and treat the home with respect. I usually request references for the pet.

Back to your situation MsAli, I think you need to ascertain the type of tenants they are. If they're rubbish, move them on at the first opportunity; otherwise, keep them until you're ready.

Had a laugh the other night. The house I visited had a maltese terrier and it was crawling along the carpet via its front legs and dragging its hind legs and butt along lol. Moral: never lie down on carpet you don't know !

Hi MsAli

We had an interesting one recently. IP for rent no pets. Tenants were to sign lease the day of moving in (not usually how it works). Anyway as PM was sorting the paperwork and keys a dog could heard barking outside. One of the tenants left to tend to it - much to the surprise of the Pm. The tenants thought it was a good idea to get a dog from the pound the day before to take with them to their new place.
They didn't move in. No, we are not mean - the property does not have adequate fencing for a dog. The breed of dog is also too big and active for the size of the yard. The tenants also have only known the dog for 5mins themselves. PM helped them find a pet friendly property.

We have allowed dogs at both of our rentals.

Our property manager drafted into contract that a requirement was spraying property for fleas and steam cleaning of carpets upon vacating premises.

Dogs are also not allowed inside and upon a previous inspection there was damage identified from the dog to an external door, property manager stated that damage was to be fixed immediately. Which was then rectified.

I see it as this, if they are good tenants then you have much better chance of locking them in for longer as there are so many properties that don't allow pets.

People stress about pet owners too much. The damage going to be caused from a young family will normally outweigh potential damage from a dog.

I myself have two border collies (aged 3 and 4) who are the most energetic creatures I have ever owned. I also have a 9 month old daughter. I'll let you figure out which one makes more mess of the carpets and house.

Back