Tenants knowing your home address

I don't want my home address known to my tenants either but how can you prevent them finding out? It's there to see to anybody with RP Data access. If they really wanted to know, they'd find it.
Live in an underground bunker that has an underground maze as part of its entrance so even you're confused as to the actual location. Its the only way to really protect yourself in case your accosted in the street and they hold you for ransom and threaten to kill you Dexter-style.

I don't want my home address known to my tenants either but how can you prevent them finding out? It's there to see to anybody with RP Data access. If they really wanted to know, they'd find it.

if you have an unusual name and only one property that is in your actual name and the tenant has rpdata access, then yes they can find it. in which case refer to my suggestion - security and arms, which you should probably have anyway.

I have no issue with our tenants knowing our address. I would have some concern if we were renting different types of properties.

In over 30 years of doing this, I've only twice been slightly concerned that our address was on the lease. I'm too lazy to get a PO box (well... not too lazy to GET one but too lazy to go and see what is in there).

I think that I will have trouble hiding our address from the new tenants when we finish building the granny flat at our PPOR.

I've never thought to check if our address is on leases or forwarded water bills. It's not something that has ever come up on my radar before. I have given tenants my contact details when I had the property manager from hell though.

it's all out there

All,
I think people here are not aware of the availability of information on the the internet that is free for all to see.
I have a technical consulting background and with enough time and effort, I can find everything there is to know on "most" things. Mind you this is without RP Data and without attempting to hack anything. Everything is legal and above board - all the information is freely available.
The easiest attempt at anonymity is to have a very common name so as to confuse the situation and also not to participate in networking and social media. As they say in the industry "security by obscurity".
I've been able to drill down on what individuals do, how people made their money, how much, when without too much issue. Most of the time though, I just don't care.

normailson,
I don't think anyone is disputing a tenant or anyone else can find out this info, if they really wanted to.

Landlords just don't need to inform anyone, especially tenants.
We don't even put our home address on our driver's license...we use our business address.

Thanks for all your comments.

I think it is about protecting me and my family, not about whether I have anything to hide. It is the same as you wouldn't tell your work colleges your home address even though you are 'friends'.

I think it is about protecting me and my family, not about whether I have anything to hide. It is the same as you wouldn't tell your work colleges your home address even though you are 'friends'.
Ha! Come work for my company. Licensing head office in the UK sent out a Word document with EVERYONE'S personal home address and mobile phone numbers, even though we're not issued with work mobiles and I had never given permission for my info to be shared.

I guess it all comes down to everyone doing what they are comfortable with. I've just written up a new lease today, with my home address on it. I'm quite comfortable. If it wasn't, I would lease a PO box.

Im waiting for the day my neighbors work out that Im the landlord. I figure first maintenance call will probably be the give away. ;)

Im waiting for the day my neighbors work out that Im the landlord. I figure first maintenance call will probably be the give away. ;)

I've told this story here before, but friend's parents used to watch with amusement as their tenants (house right next door) would pack up the two dogs, food bowls and take them away for the day when an inspection was taking place, and bring them back after it was over.

Tenants were thinking they were being very clever, not knowing landlords were watching it all from next door :D.

One of My
Tenants got hold of my ph number off the lease and rang me at midnight, when the roof started leaking, he was fairly distraught, I tried to explain to him that I was over 1000 miles away and that I was powerless to plug up his leaks but he didn't care, he just kept yelling, the waters rushing in! The waters rushing in! Poor fella :(

Tell them to call the SES next time

I was pretty annoyed though when during a conversation with the tenant about the property for sale next door he happened to mention he'd looked our house ( that he rents from us ) up on RP data. He made a comment about the price we paid etc...

I'm annoyed because he knows how many property's we have and what we paid. Even our family don't know this information. We keep things private for very good reasons.

True, but as another commenter has said... you know all about his income, bank accounts, DOB, etc. Plus the data he looked at is basically public info for anyone to see; you really can't treat it as private at all. (Harsh reality, though!)

I have to agree with everyone erring on the side of caution here. Where possible you should definitely keep your personal address private and if you use a good agent, the only details a tenant should have on you is your name which must be on the tenancy agreement (i.e. no need for tenant to contact you).

You can do everything in your power to avoid bad tenants (and that will go a long way to protecting you and your assets) but as Katherine said: mental illness can strike anywhere. Someone doesn't have to be a 'bogan' to be a bad tenant.

Things are always great at the start of any relationship where one or both parties want something from the other. You can't predict the future though and even great tenants could turn bad if something unexpected occurs. It's amazing what 'normal' people will say and do when their backs are against the wall.

Although, as some of you say, the information is publicly available, I would say not everybody knows how to access it and it's not a good idea to lay it out on a platter.

My own and my partner's properties are managed by my business partner and I have as little to do with them as possible because we want that separation ourselves.

Fair call to all the people who "just want to be cautious" - but the law says you have to offer up your address.

So if you really have to be "cautious", then maybe find another investment vehicle that doesn't involve entering into contracts with other people - because of course you never know when they might just flip out for no reason. :confused:

Thanks for all your comments.

Did you read the South Australian Act?
The expiation fee for not having your name and address on the lease is $75.00 but the authorities would have to find out about it first to fine you.

http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/A/RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES ACT 1995.aspx

Division 1?Entering into residential tenancy agreement

48?Tenant to be notified of landlord's name etc

(1) A landlord under a residential tenancy agreement must, at the time of entering into the agreement, notify the tenant in writing of?
(a) the full name and address of the landlord and of any person with superior title to the landlord; and
(b) if the landlord or the person with superior title to the landlord is a company? the address of the registered office of the company.
Maximum penalty: $500.
Expiation fee: $75.

(2) If a person succeeds another as the landlord under a residential tenancy agreement, the new landlord must, within 14 days, notify the tenant in writing of?
(a) the full name and address of the new landlord; and
(b) if the new landlord is a company?the address of the registered office of the company.

(3) The requirement to notify the address of a person is not satisfied by giving the address of the person's agent.
(4) If a name or address of which the landlord is required to notify the tenant under this section changes, the landlord must, within 14 days, notify the tenant in writing of the change.

That's a bit of a beauty, eh? Silence a lot of uninformed opinion.

I want to put my two bob's worth in:

All landlords should be known to their tenants.

I even want to know the landlord for the bloke next door.

Because the bloke next door is a deceitful antisocial musically challenged possible moron who plays music heavy on the subwoofer at all hours of the day and night.

We of course don't hear whatever 'music' there is: whatever possible melody lines or harmony might exist within the piece, whatever engaging solo riffs demonstrations of instrument mastery or whatever else: we hear a monotonous, endless, pounding, boom, boom, boom from the bass.

And the liar promises to do something about it and doesn't.

Hence he's not only all of the above but is also deliberately and obviously sticking his finger right up in my face - being personally provocative and insulting, challenging, aggressive.... daring me, defying me, to do something about it.

And the agent does nothing. And will not divulge the name of the owner.

Yep. So I want the name of the owner.

Because at the very least he can experience what I experience. I can arrange that.

Not easy and perhaps with legal difficulties. But I'd fancy my chances of parking my car outside his front door and directing the same 'boom booms' at him. I think the local coppers would understand and located thusly there'd be minimum hassle to the neighbours - that's the biggest difficulty, doing the right thing by the neighbours.

I could go this prat full on, bombard him with sound till his head was ringing, but that'd mean inflicting stuff on the neighbours.

So I think the other is a good possibility.

So I'd need the name of the owner.

Which isn't easy to get. Because the owner is like so many in this thread and wants to hide out.

Well no. You can't hide out. And you shouldn't hide out.

Listen, I want to hide out, too.

But I can't and shouldn't.

The 'baddies' always threaten escalation and always threaten the harmless, the impotent, the weak, the susceptible. Always. Everywhere.

It is happening right now all over the world. Shocking. Terrible. Syria. Irag. Iran. Afqhanistan. I dunno. Everywhere, isn't it?

So I escalate with this prat and simply fight back.

The next thing I (potentially) know could be anything from my kids being hassled at school by his kids (his friends/relatives kids, he actually doesn't have any.. it's the idea I'm talking about) to me being fronted by a couple of sociopathic psychotic mates of his (theirs, he has 'mates') and threatened or bashed.

Via all the possible stops in between: my wife being harassed or actually assaulted, our place being somehow attacked, violated, invaded.. whatever.

See?

I want to hide from all that.

I don't want to run the risk of that. Any of it.

So the desire is to stay silent. To suffer in silence. To suffer war within my own home because of it. Because upon discussion my wife - motivated the same way and with a women's particular concern for her children I suppose - insists I should do nothing.

Though she's the main one that can't sleep because of it. She's the one that has to rise early for work. She's the one suffers most.

But, like I said, it is the weak and vulnerable that they prey on.

So I do as I wish regardless of the wife. I do what I think must be done.

They must be confronted. And as early as possible. From the very beginning. It all must have the light of day shone on it.

His name and family and place of origin, his friends, everything that can be revealed. For instance.

And everyone involved has to be brought into it. That means the agent and the owner.

And so on.

See? That's the way life is. Like it or not.

We're fairly happy here in Australia. Pretty widely law abiding and we respect each other and live together peacefully.

And we do it by pinching in the bud those kind of transgressions.

By standing up to them, standing up and being counted, not by hiding.

And everything I've said so far applies only to the need for owners to be known and recognised as a general principal in a free and fair society.

There's another aspect which I won't say anything about beyond pointing to:

You're a landlord. Seeking to profit from another's toil.

Think on that.

abrogard,

Nothing a landlord can do.
If you have a problem with a neighbour, call the police...everytime.
If you don't get any satisfaction, call TT or ACA

Back