Tenants knowing your home address

Nice rant for a first post...

All landlords should be known to their tenants.

I even want to know the landlord for the bloke next door.

Not hard to find out with a bit of determination.

Because the bloke next door is a deceitful antisocial musically challenged possible moron who plays music heavy on the subwoofer at all hours of the day and night.

And the liar promises to do something about it and doesn't.

Contacting the LL is not the appropriate response to a noisy neighbour. I'd tell you to take the appropriate response - the council, the police, etc.

Hence he's not only all of the above but is also deliberately and obviously sticking his finger right up in my face - being personally provocative and insulting, challenging, aggressive.... daring me, defying me, to do something about it.

What have you done about it, apart from crying that it's not fair that you can't easily get the LLs details?

And the agent does nothing. And will not divulge the name of the owner.

Rightly so. Find it yourself.

Because at the very least he can experience what I experience. I can arrange that.

Not easy and perhaps with legal difficulties. But I'd fancy my chances of parking my car outside his front door and directing the same 'boom booms' at him. I think the local coppers would understand and located thusly there'd be minimum hassle to the neighbours - that's the biggest difficulty, doing the right thing by the neighbours.

Give it a go. I'd suggest you take the number plates off your car before doing so or you may be sorry.

I could go this prat full on, bombard him with sound till his head was ringing, but that'd mean inflicting stuff on the neighbours.

So I think the other is a good possibility.

Is the 'other' pulling up outside the LLs house with your car stereo full blast. Don't mind upsetting the LLs neighbours? What if the LL lives in another city?

It is happening right now all over the world. Shocking. Terrible. Syria. Irag. Iran. Afqhanistan. I dunno. Everywhere, isn't it?

Every day I'm hearing shocking, terrible stories of people in the middle east playing their music too loud - on a quite night I can hear it from Brisbane. Shocking!

So I escalate with this prat and simply fight back.

How have you escalated the situation?

The next thing I (potentially) know could be anything from my kids being hassled at school by his kids (his friends/relatives kids, he actually doesn't have any.. it's the idea I'm talking about) to me being fronted by a couple of sociopathic psychotic mates of his (theirs, he has 'mates') and threatened or bashed.

You might want to take a breath and rephrase that.

Via all the possible stops in between: my wife being harassed or actually assaulted, our place being somehow attacked, violated, invaded.. whatever.

See?

No I don't see. Has any of this actually happened? Or are you just presuming it might.

And we do it by pinching in the bud those kind of transgressions.

By standing up to them, standing up and being counted, not by hiding.

And everything I've said so far applies only to the need for owners to be known and recognised as a general principal in a free and fair society.

You're exactly the sort of nut job that LLs here are trying to protect their personal details from.

quite possibly my last one, too. I do talk much too much.

Only meant to say I think landlords details should be known to tenants.

Which I did say.

And if only I could learn to leave well enough alone.

But I go on to try to argue the point or provide examples or whatever....

Pointlessly usually because it all too often turns out one is talking to the sort of person who happily labels complete strangers 'nut jobs' - a descent into objectionable personal vilification that speaks volumes about the vilifier.

Who is frequently someone with a vast number of posts on the forum in question.

And it's pretty obvious what that means. When we put those two things together.

My second major failing, I've discovered, in twenty years (since the time of dial up modem BBS's) of posting to forums, is that I always inadvertently try to get the last word.

'Inadvertent' because I'm at the time of writing not thinking of that but am just thinking of responding to the last post - it usually being continued low level opprobrium from the aforementioned and me seeking to defend myself and pursue the point...

However the point is long lost. The true point at that time has become merely incrementing the post count for the particular foul mouth in question.

Hence I've learned to ignore them and go about my business.

Those good souls concerned with the debate will have read and weighed my input and there's an end on it.

So you start a post saying that there's been a lot of uninformed opinion, and finish by saying that landlords are trying to profit from other peoples' toils. And in the middle you want to treat the landlord to a tenant's loud music, as if the landlord was responsible.

Referring to a nut job was out of line. But you're not going to get enthusiastic support in a forum of landlords either.

Ummm... We aren't all landlords here. Plenty of us do other forms of property investing.

Hell, I'm a renter myself. I have no idea why a landlord should be responsible for every action of a tenant.

We were once contacted by a neighbour of our tenants to complain about their aggressive behaviour towards her. Our Real Estate office was horrified when we alerted them to what might be a problem. They very firmly told her that any complaints must come to them and not directly to us. We don't really know how she got our telephone number but like others have said it's not that hard.

Anyway long story short there wasn't really anything any of us could do about it and she was told to contact police. Instead the poor lady moved out herself, she was renting too. She was new to the area and our tenants had been there for a couple of years with no other complaints from neighbours but after we threw them out (for other things) other neighbours came forward and said our tenants had been the neighbours from hell. All the others had just been too scared to report them.

Sadly for the remaining neighbours they just moved around the corner, but were soon thrown out of that one as well from what I hear.

Abrogard,

DISTURBING THE PEACE:
I don't know what the situation is in your state but there is something in the Residential Tenancies Act NT that can help with this situation. It's a bit of a long and painful process but at least it would be constructive and may get you and your neighbours a bit of peace and quiet. RTA NT is managed by Consumer Affairs, so in the NT they are the people to see. Perhaps you could find out if there is something similar in your state. I'm happy to send you a link to the NT version if you like so that you know what you are looking for. PM me if you do.

LANDLORD PROFITEERS
I just had to say something about this. It is just not the reality of property investing that landlords are rich folk profiting off the poor anymore. Sure there are a few but that is not the majority. The Bureau of Statistics have issued statistics (sorry I am unable to post a link to it) showing that the majority of residential property investors have just one investment property.

My experience, as a property manager, is that most landlords are ordinary people with ordinary incomes who struggle from week to week with the bills. In fact, a few of these landlords can't afford to live in their own property - they rent out what they have purchased and rent something cheaper themselves.

They have twigged that the government will not be able to maintain the pension and health budget in place now as the baby boomer generation move into retirement and the smaller X & Y gens are covering the country's bills.

If they are profiting it would pay to remember the link between risk and return. They are taking a huge risk. A risk that the person renting their property from them isn't taking. There is always a chance that it could turn bad and it does. Nobody hears about the investors filing for bankruptcy because that's not sexy enough for property investment magazines or ACA. People only want to hear about a young couple who made $6 000 000 in property on a Woolies wage in 12 months. It's not the common experience.

Finally, landlords are actually providing an important service to the community and renters specifically. Often, particularly in city centres, it is much much cheaper to rent a particular house or unit than it is to buy it. The owner is paying an amount over and above the rent they receive to the bank to cover the mortgage on the investment as well as the rates and body corporate bills (where appropriate). They are fixing things for tenants that would remain unrepaired in their own homes. That's parties they aren't going to, a new car they aren't purchasing, better shopping brands they aren't buying to ensure they have something to retire on.

Landlords are given a really bad rap. The reality is very different to picture painted in the media.

Back