Tenants moved out, 6 months least still remaining

Ed Barton - LOL!!

The reason I always give my applications is "unfortunately another application has been chosen for this property" When they ask why? "There is no specific reason that your application wasn't chosen, please do feel free to apply for any other properties we have available/that come up available and we will be more than happy to consider you".

Makes them feel better thinking that they will be considered next time and less inclined to try claiming discrimination. :).

It's been in the news paper for a couple days, still no calls... she's paid 2 weeks in advance. I will be making other arrangements with her to pay up to a month.

This is actually the 2nd tenant that's broken their lease due to personal/financial circumstances and I don't think it's fair I have to put up with the bill. I'm struggling myself, I got 2 mortgages and on minimum wage... but I manage my finances very well. I will be talking to the boss soon about the minimum wage part very soon. :)

Can I ask why you don't use a good property manager?

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the replies, we advertised in the local newspaper as it was always very successful in the past but just recently I put it up on gumtree.com.au and 1st hour I've had 3 calls and they are all coming to see the property tomorrow. :D

The reason why I don't have a property manager is because I think they are just rent collectors, just my opinion sorry if I offend and I've never had one so I wouldn't know :p Me and my parents have been managing my 2 properties for the last 6 years and no problems so far. I have landlords tenant but not covered for loss of rent.

We will be talking to the previous tenants regarding the lost rent and advertising costs.

Is it a good idea to show the house to all the potential tenants at the same time?:confused:

Showing the property to all potential tenants at the same time can work well to your advantage, if each person viewing the property sees interest from the other parties and they are taking application forms they feel a sense of urgency and are more inclined to apply more quickly.

I don't find your opinion of PM's offensive just interesting. Yes we collect rent but we all so have to negotiate with tenants over various things, carry out routine inspections to ensure the house is well looked after, negotiate with council and neighbours regarding various aspects of your property (e.g trees and fences), act as a mentor between tenants (especially in blocks of units), take care of any issues quickly and smoothly due to our knowledge of the system we advertise your property, process applications, carry out open for inspections, do our own character check on everyone who enteres the property before seeing their application, we deal with insurance agencies, the police & various creditors to solve silly problems which can arise. Clear things up with Aus. Post, advise the landlords of what they are required to do by law and also advise them of things which they SHOULD be doing to protect themselves but that they aren't required by law to do. We deal with the SES with heavy storms and the properties we manage and many other agencies. We are councellors, law enforcers, rent collectors, debt collectors, maintenance auditors, insurance claims officers, tax advisors and the list goes on. Again, not offended but interested that you have that opinion! I am very glad that you have had no issues self managing for the last 6 years and I sincerely hope that doesn't change for you.

Ed Barton - LOL!!

The reason I always give my applications is "unfortunately another application has been chosen for this property" When they ask why? "There is no specific reason that your application wasn't chosen, please do feel free to apply for any other properties we have available/that come up available and we will be more than happy to consider you".

Makes them feel better thinking that they will be considered next time and less inclined to try claiming discrimination. :).

Although some tenants really just want to find out what they can improve on for next time to get a place that they're keen on.. ;)

Although some tenants really just want to find out what they can improve on for next time to get a place that they're keen on.. ;)
If it is something they can improve on then I agree :). Then I tell them to actually answer every question (even if the answer is n/a) and attach a cover letter with more information. :)

Back