tenants moving out, is my PM giving me the correct advice?

Hi guys,

the tenants in my IP moved out, they gave my PM 3weeks notice, but by the end of the 3 weeks, the tenants notified PM that they needed a few more days and handed keys back 3 days later, they paid the 3 days. My PM said the tenants did have the right to extend the notice period, they only need to pay to the day when they handed keys back? is my PM correct? I am in Sydney.

further to the above, the tenants were previous owner of the house. we purchased the ouse 2 yrs ago. They stayed in the property after we purchased the house (they did not moved out at all). so the initial inspection, by the PM was not very detailed. after the tenants moved out last week, my PM did a inspection, PM reported that the shower screen were dirty, vanity dirty, toilet dirty, but PM was not willing to let the tenants to clean them, she said because the tenant did not leave the house after we purchased, so it is difficult to argue that the tenants have to clean the shower screen, vanity and toilet. Is she correct in saying this? sometimes I just do not feel she is working for me.

thanks

About the 3 days extra issue - regardless of whether it was allowed or not, what would you want to do about it? They have already left now.

As for the dirty parts of the house, they don't seem particularly serious, so your PM is probably right in letting it go. What's the alternative? Going to tribunal with little to no proof?

Your PM is giving you the right advice in relation to the extra days, which were paid for (this is quite common), and the moving out inspection (the tenants do not have to return the property to you in a better state than it was at settlement (and it is very difficult to do a proper ingoing inspection when the property is furnished and lived in already).

Not sure it will help you now.

In our rentals, the tenant agrees the condition of the property is clean, unless they return the condition report stating otherwise.

It doesn't sound like your PM is working very hard for you.
They will take the path of the least resistance.

I'm sure they can offer the services of cleaners they have for you to hire?
Great incentive for departing tenants to clean, huh?

thanks guys

I just feel a bit unfair that the tenants left the bathroom dirty, but we can not do anything about it.

also by the way, where could i find the info about extention of notice?

I just feel a bit unfair that the tenants left the bathroom dirty, but we can not do anything about it.

also by the way, where could i find the info about extention of notice?

Eric, you've had two years of regular rent - including the three days they overstayed.

The PM should have done a condition report when the rental commenced, but didn't. Just get the bathroom cleaned.

Time to move on, Eric. How is the PM going with finding a replacement tenant? That's what you need to focus on now.

Hi Depreciator

the PM is trying to find tenants, open house today and will be another one on the weekend. hope they can find me a tenant soon.

I'd ask the pm to contact the outgoing tenant and inform them that the house has not been cleaned satisfactorily. Give the tenants a deadline for the cleaning and then if they haven't cleaned it satisfactorily say you will be taking it from the bond. This is what my pm does and we have had tenants pay to have the properties cleaned on many occasions.

Back