Tenants running business from IP

if you kick them out send them to me....i need some work done for free as well.

stressing over nothing..........

I don't agree that you are "stressing over nothing" :rolleyes:; potentially having your building insurance void is absolutely worth chasing up.

Clause 21(1) of the Queensland tenancy agreement precludes operating a business from the premises without the landlord's permission:

"The tenant may use the premises only as a place of residence or mainly as a place of residence or for another use allowed under a special term."

Perhaps you could either approach them, or write to them, and explain that operating a business on your property may negate your insurance, and if they were operating a business without your permission, they may become liable for any loss as a result of their breach, eg if your house burns down due to their business equipment (computers), they may be liable to pay for re-building your house.

You could also perhaps say that you're entirely happy for them to operate their business from your home, and will include a clause in the lease stating same, if they provide evidence that they have insurance for their business activities and any potential consequences for your premises.

you have a good situation - you just have to play it to make sure you are covered and then start miliking it by strongly suggesting other improvements and defraying costs you couldnt normally pass on

I don't agree that you are "stressing over nothing" :rolleyes:; potentially having your building insurance void is absolutely worth chasing up.

Clause 21(1) of the Queensland tenancy agreement precludes operating a business from the premises without the landlord's permission:

"The tenant may use the premises only as a place of residence or mainly as a place of residence or for another use allowed under a special term."

Perhaps you could either approach them, or write to them, and explain that operating a business on your property may negate your insurance, and if they were operating a business without your permission, they may become liable for any loss as a result of their breach, eg if your house burns down due to their business equipment (computers), they may be liable to pay for re-building your house.

You could also perhaps say that you're entirely happy for them to operate their business from your home, and will include a clause in the lease stating same, if they provide evidence that they have insurance for their business activities and any potential consequences for your premises.

Perp,
How many times have you tried to tell me that a tenant cannot be held liable for any damage they do?
Which is it?

it's probably a web based biz.

ask for specifics.

lets face it, a resi lease is cheaper than a comm lease, with less to worry about.

Perp,
How many times have you tried to tell me that a tenant cannot be held liable for any damage they do?
Which is it?
Um, no confusion on my part.

There's a world of difference between an insurable event occuring in residential premises, and damage resulting directly from commercial activity which constitutes a breach of the lease.

And I've never said that a tenant cannot be held liable for "any damage". :confused:

And that answers the question of why they would want to rent your place, and be happy to spend 10k on it. If it was being rented as a commercial property they would have to do that anyway, and the rent would be a lot more. As Wylie pointed out this scenario isn't all that uncommon, but like everyone has said, I would be a little concerned about insurance issues.

They are probably making themselves unavailable to the PM because they are afraid you might want to change their lease to a commercial one.;)

Sounds like an awful lot of hassle to me, I doubt I've met a PM who would have a barr of that..... Have met a few that would bissfully say "there's nothgin to worry about" , which in this case I don't think there appears to be..

So what if they are working from home ?

Being able to keep the place insured is all I'd be worreied about too.

But curiosity now got the better of me - what's with having a security guard at 5.30 am ? what sort of business are they running ?!?!

Kathryn, You ahve put 2 & 2 together and come up with 5.

Perp is saying the people who run the business, are running a business. A Business can pay for insurance to cover it's buisenss activities and legal reuirements like public liability at teh premeise it is working from, even if it the premises is residential. Even if the business is owned by people who signed a residential lease on that same property.

Are you suggesitng that they cannot, or that it is a bad idea ?

Last edited:
Hi All,

I've been refering to ss for some years now and it has been a source of information and much valued. But now there is something on my mind.

We have an IP in Mt Gravatt Brisbane. It is co owned by myself and my brother. It is a 50's timber 3x2 situated very close to everything. we renovated to attract a nicer type of tenant. Until recently this idea hadnt worked.

In the last 3 months however our latest tenants have spent in excess of 10k improving the property, most with our permission eg Mains cabling, running power to garage, window grilles and security systems. We inspected the property after the tenants did the work and both my brother and I are totally gobsmacked at the improvements.

They are 4 months into a 2 year lease and keep the property immaculate and rent is paid a month or so in advance.

Inside the house is no shabby setup - there must be 50k worth of equipment not to mention maybe 30k worth of furnishings. The tenants (according to information supllied to PM on application) are a couple, no kids, no pets. She (mid 40's) is a medical professional and he (early 50's) is "independantly financed".

We suspect our tenants are running a business from the IP. The house is filled with servers, computer screens, electronic equipment, a bedroom has been converted to an office. On the last inspection myself and the PM were standing next to the letter box and the postie happened along and handed us the mail. I saw the mail had been forwarded to a pty Ltd company with our IP's address .

Our PM said she would investigate but is finding it difficult to get an appointment to talk to the tenants. Even if the tenants are running a business there is nothing (according to the PM) in the lease especially forbidding it.

But the situation is making me uneasy. The tenants are obviously well off - but why would they spend money improving our property? And why set up a business or even live in our property? A drive by on weekends is like a prestige car show. Expensive cars parked in driveway and on the street.

Something very odd is going on. Or am I just worrying for nothing?

If you talk to your insurer, most probably you will find out that if the property is used for commercial purposesthen, your insurances (building and land lord) are void. Thus, if the unexpected happens you won't be covered. Of course you can take the tenants to court but, you know what it means...:mad:

Jaycee,
I agree with you.
If the LL hasn't made it a provision in the lease for the tenant to have tenant insurance, they will just need to make sure they have insurance in case anything happens.

Jaycee,
I agree with you.
If the LL hasn't made it a provision in the lease for the tenant who is running a business from the house to have insurance, they will just need to make sure they have insurance in case anything happens.

If the landlord hasn't made a provision in the lease for the tenant who has clients to the house to have insurance to cover public liability and if a client has an accident, the landlord cannot get cover for that themselves, as far as I know. We certainly were not given that option.

We had to insist on the tenant organising their own public liability insurance. If the tenant didn't get it, we would have issued the with a notice to leave.

There is a big risk if the landlord has no idea the tenant is running a business from the premises that involves clients visiting the property, and I don't know how that risk can be lessened.

Tenants security measures means 65% discount on LL insurance!

Just a quick post, have to give a quote soon....

I have been on the phone to my insurer QBE (for 2 hrs).

Briefly yes business activities must be noted on lease and documentation of liability insurance given to my insurer with details of business.

The big surprise however was that if I can document the tenants security measures our insurer is of the opinion that we would be entitled to either a substantial discount for property insurance or a beefed up public liability policy for the same money.

The interesting news is that the new meter box with wave form monitoring is being trialled by insurers and will may become a mandatory requirement for LL insurance.

Got to run - will post tonight!

Cheers Dave

They sound like they could be either great tenants or something seriously strange is going on. The security guard thing takes it to a new level and alarm bells should have been ringing on news of the new power meter.

Find out what the heck they are up to. Sack your lazy PM too.

Security guard = concern.

New power meter could be as simple as them putting air-con in (or several computers I suppose). We have a house where we installed air-con and didn't upgrade the power board. If it starts tripping we will be faced with an upgrade of the power board. That would not worry me so much, especially if it is an older house.

Hi Plumber

You definitely need to get ur PM or urself to inspect the property pronto.

See if the property is filled with reasonable items.

t

Back