Tenants & the number of kids

Could I ask every one about: How do you feel about tenants number of childre? Is it ok to you rent your IP to a tenant with e.g. 5 kids. What is your limit on this. Thanks for input.
Yadeh

One adult / child per bedroom is desirable ... I guess a bunk for two children under 10 would be ok as well but that’s it.

AJ

Discrimination laws apply, so care should be taken to comply.
Expect a higher level of legally allowable and actual wear'n'tear with younger kids or more kids.
If you plan to rent to a family of 7, ensure the property is robust, big HWS, plenty storage (shed?), installed water meter so tenant pays big water bill not you, big clothesline, remove any sharp edges and dangerous items, make sure the fencing is ok, check the electrical stuff, be ready with your pet policy.

Rent should be adjusted to cover the higher wear'ntear if you have say 5 kids compared with none or one, but you can't tell them the reason is because they have kids not adults (discrimination).

Allowing sufficient space and bedroom area per person (child) will create a quality environment thereby encouraging civilised use of the property, providing you have good tenants.

A landlord in NSW can't demand or insist on more than 4 week's rent as a bond for unfurnished premises. But as a PM, I have suggested to prospective tenants, who tell me that it's not easy finding a home for 7, that a property owner would understandably be impressed with an applicant who offered some extra bond. It is not required of course, but offering it may help.

cheers
crest133

Dear Crest,
As a PM you are aware of all these things but it should be noted that the water bill, even on metered premises, is not included in the lease unless stipulated in the extra provisions.

There is usually more wear & tear when there are young kids in the house and they will often have pets. If you are renting out a three bedroom house you have to expect that there will be some kids involved. Landlords should ensure they are charging rent promulgated on that fact. It may be wise to advise prospective tenants that a fee is charged when there are pets. You could charge an additional $10 or so!

You're quite right Plumtree, but my leases always had it included as standard to say that tenants paid water as per the meter, payable as per the rates notice etc etc. As you know in NSW, if there is no meter, there can be no enforceable charge for water. User pays is fair. Geez, I wouldn't like to rent out a property without a water meter. There'd be tenants just running the sink for the lovely background bubbling water noise, cheap water feature.
cheers
crest133

Thanks guys for the hints. I rneted this 3BR to a fmaily with three kids and one pet. I suppose it will be all right then. Thanks,

Yadeh

Dear Crest,

A friend bought a standard lease from the newsagent and discovered that this lease did not have water covered unless it was mentioned under 'the additional terms and conditions' and of course the water had to be metered.
As a PM, do you use a different form of lease?

Regards Plumtree

Hi Plumtree
Was a PM, still healing. Many PM's firmed up their leases with their own clauses depending on their own bitter experiences, often as lost Tribunal matters. As soon as the NSW legislation covered user pays water, all my leases included the tenant paying as per the meter. Of course if there is no meter, there can be no enforceable charge to the tenant because ther legislation only supports meters. The meter readings were on the ingoing and outgoing condition reports and therefore signed off and on by the tenants, and Council meter readings did the rest in between. The tenant received a copy of the Council to owners water charges notice but with the owner's address blanked out. This system held up in Tribunal.
I prefer to include any clauses which I might need later on, such as professional pet sprays, extra cars, pools (nightmares) whatever. With extra clauses inserted which are not immediately relevant but might become so later on, there can be no argument later on as to the prevailing conditions of the lease and tenancy prior to commencement.
cheers
crest133

Yadeh, I know this is a bit late...but I rented one of my IP's to a single lady and her four kids (little ones too). I am going to go with agent to the six monthly inspection so I'll see if I have heart failure at the time. Having no children myself, as I just couldn't cope with having my anally organised selfish life put out of place :)D ), I will probably stress about the state of the house. But sometimes you can be surprised I guess. A higher level of wear and tear will have to be evident but then again no tenant is perfect.

Back