Terminating Property Manager Agreement

I am in Victoria, and have a standard REIV 'Exclusive Leasing and/or Managing Authority' agreement with the property manager.

They have made a change in their business practices that I believe will affect their ability to attract future tenants.

I have perused the signed agreement and can't find any reference to under what circumstances I can terminate their services.

Can someone please give me advice?

Regards

AndrewS

Hi Andrew,

You might be surprised how accommodating some PM"s can be.

From my recent exprience here in Qld, they do not necessarily stick to the agreement if you are sufficiently p****d off by their service level.

I was very unhappy about the performance of my PM, I looked at the contract and saw that I had to give them 90 days notice if I wanted to terminate. OK. I wrote them a letter detailing the reasons for my wish to terminate.

They phoned me back pretty quickly giving me no excuses for their lame service, but said that they don't mind terminating in 30 days if I wish.

Remember, a contract is an agreement btn two parties. If both agree to terminate or change the agreement prior to its expiry, they can do so. The old agreement then becomes null and void.

Talk to them, explain why you are unhappy, what action you'd like to see, and threaten termination at earliest opportunity if they don't shape up.

You will either get improved service, or they'll let you off the contract earlier.

Desto.

Couldn't agree more with Desto here. I had to sack one of my PM's due to poor service, and after a letter and an email she rang, apologised and told me to disregard the notice that I had to give. As a further show of good faith, she also reimbursed me the last month's management fees. Though I had been very unhappy with the service, I was pleasantly surprised by the handling of my complaint.
Good luck and let us know how you go.

Back