The $1 houses and affordability

Hey Landlubber......no need to apologise........debate is healthy. Admittedly when I read your post, I had that "oh ****" moment, and I agree with you. Where would we be without the resources boom and the rise in food prices.

I'll still stand by the rest of it though but will concede that our economy is in the right place at the right time so to speak.

Bill.L, back to something you said about property taxes. Does the US have stamp duty similar to our regime here. For a decent property in AUS, well Victoria your up for around $16K in stamps on a $350K value, however thats only a one off, you'd probably be up for around $2000 in rates as well.

I have friends in the US that pay around $10K per anum in property tax / school tax etc..etc..

Hi,

Captain, I have no idea about SD in the US, perhaps LAA aka Bayview knows about this.

What I do know is that friends of ours on the east coast pay $15,000 pa for property taxes and other friends on the west coast pay $24,000pa, and the ones on the west coast consider themselves lucky because there low:eek: rate was grandfathered??? otherwise would have been over $32,000 pa.

They are in better areas with higher valued property than the Detroit example.

bye

I'd be tempted to buy a $1 house.

Fortify the building add a tower and flagpole and a loudspeaker system. Then address the area inhabitants as "My People" every day.

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to buy a $1 house.

Fortify the building and a tower and flagpole and a loudspeaker system. Then address the area inhabitants as "My People" every day.

with America's rampant desire to offload all responsibility and place it in the hands of god, you could become the next deity to walk the face of the earth.

after all, if the place was fortified then no one would ever see you, so there'd be no need to prove you actually existed.

Back