The Bad News or umm good News?...

I would have thought the great depression or world wars would have been the "all time low" not the small deflation from boom times we are now in.

It's ok, the sky isn't falling... Just keep your cool and don't take your property news from the biased major media publications!
Good call DaveM!

Like catching falling knives (picking the bottom of the market).

Given the long timeframe normally associated with property investing - you really dont need to pick the EXACT bottom of the market.

Based on historic patterns if you had bought at anytime in the last 12 years and had held for at least 5 years without selling when markets retraced you would have made money.

050112_0304_AustralianH1.png

wategos - when the bubble has just started to burst.

So there's a bubble? And you know it's bursting? Please teach me your secrets :)

So there's a bubble? And you know it's bursting? Please teach me your secrets :)
No secret, your graph says it all, unsustainable growth through a credit bubble. Now that's ended and prices will correct to long term averages as they have everywhere else around the world. Just 2 or 3 property bubbles left to burst, Australia included.

No secret, your graph says it all, unsustainable growth through a credit bubble. Now that's ended and prices will correct to long term averages as they have everywhere else around the world. Just 2 or 3 property bubbles left to burst, Australia included.

If the long term average in australia is what its going to revert to...then we can all rest easy.

The long term "has been" quite friendly,

Why the fuss?

If there is a bubble, Australia arguably has enough room to adjust fiscal policy to stem house price hemorrhaging if it indeed occurs.

While I do agree that some markets are overpriced and will continue to face correction, I disagree that this perspective represents the overall market. Australia is underpinned by several key fundamentals such as unemployment levels, population growth, GDP/Debt ratio and the current inflation level which all support foreseeable low to moderate economic growth. Added to this the RBA is thinking of relaxing monetary policy further to make the situation even better.

Unlike the rest of the western world, being the UK, USA and Japan we have completely different regulations when it comes to housing debt. I don't understand how anyone can think that the intrinsic value of our housing stock has diverged more than 20% unless they don't understand that we don't have government backed mortgages and a large amount of mortgage debt derivatives.

We've had three years of bad news in the media. The Westpac CCI has shown confidence is still about the same as in the GFC which means demand for housing has been low enough to pull back prices already. We're still being very cautious as a consumer country despite more and more good economic news, so if prices were going to plummet one would have expected that to happen already.

The facts currently are:
Borrowing money is very cheap
Many markets have retraced
We have sound economic footing
This isn't some South Sea Scheme :\

We should be buying now and not worrying about if property is going to fall more because even if it does, if property stays in line with the historic trend, in the long term there are profits.

"It's not about timing the market... It's about time in the market."

i know this is said a lot but i do disagree

i think nowadays you have to be more nimble/selective/proactive then simply buying something irregardless of where we are in the cycle and waiting til it comes good

Back