The best discussion I've heard yet on Peak Oil. A MUST listen!

Cluck cluck cluck

I just love it when the 'chickens come home'.......and I've seen so many of these 'predictions' turn to mush in my lifetime. Peak oil was always rubbish. I can't wait for the 'climate change BS' bubble to pop. Earlier in my life it was the threat of an ice age, then a couple of decades later it was global warming. Trouble is there is no warming. So then we morph the vernacular to climate change so we cover all possibilities and push the time frame out to 100 years so we can ride the gravy train for as long as possible..... I'm totally amazed that seemingly intelligent people still believe the 'scientists' on these matters. LL

Do you remember the 'hole in the ozone layer'.

I have lost count of the number of times I have lived through 'peak oil'. Add to that the hole in the ozone layer, global warming, sea level rises, swine flu, ebola, GFC, Y2k 'bug', 'the leisure crisis', end of the world, mad cow disease, killer bees, acid rain... the list goes on. You can't blame me for being sceptical. I might suffer a little bit from crisis fatigue.

Perthguy, my list is almost the same. Oh yeah ...hole in the ozone layer ...never seem to hear about that any more. Bird flu was another one. How come the populus keeps drinking the kool aid ? LL

Perthguy, my list is almost the same. Oh yeah ...hole in the ozone layer ...never seem to hear about that any more. Bird flu was another one. How come the populus keeps drinking the kool aid ? LL
Dunno. Why do people believe conspiracy theories such as man never landed on the moon or 9/11 was the CIA? Check out 911 truth. People really believe that stuff. I understand with Governments scaring the population to keep them worrying about the crisis and not about what the Government is doing. Can't understand people who voluntarily jump onto any passing conspiracy theory or the depth to which they buy into it.

Do you remember the 'hole in the ozone layer'.

Yes. It is slowly reducing now that CFC and halons etc have been banned by the Montreal Protocol for quite some time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depletion

Ozone depletion has stopped now that we have stopped producing ozone depleting gases. Who'd have thunk it?

Can't understand people who voluntarily jump onto any passing conspiracy theory or the depth to which they buy into it.

You mean like thinking that greenhouse gases don't warm up the earth?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

As for peak oil, it will definitely happen - the only question is when. The global supply and demand balance of oil should not be confused with the actions of a cartel, who are bankrupting a lot of oil producers as we speak. The problem with discussing Peak Oil is that no-one really knows how much supply there is in the world, except for the members of OPEC and they're not saying. So we're all just shooting the breeze trying to predict "when". But it will happen...

keep on that kool-aid buddy

The hole in the ozone layer was never a hole. It was a cyclical thinning. You know ....a cycle... like the seasons ... gets larger and then gets smaller. Still doing it. Always has. Always will. The true story was the competitive business for global refrigerants/propellants .... and it worked. We changed !! ...to the more expensive option ! (BTW you got sold margarine by pretty much the same marketing ploy.)

Oil supply/reserves etc is/are simple. How much you wanna pay? ... the more you wanna pay, the more oil is available. Peak oil .. bah humbug ...rubbish ...not in a hundred years my friend. And after that is all the gas, and after that is all the coal. It's ALL hydrocarbons. Pretty much same same. LL

PS Investigate just how much gas we TOTALLY WASTE to flaring ? ...and all the greenies don't say crap about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whether you believe in global warming or not, I'd say that less pollution is better than more pollution.

If you lived down stream from a chemical company spewing chemicals into the local water, you be happy with a few regulations to force that company to clean up its act.

If you lived in one of those heavily polluted Chinese cities where breathing the air is like smoking 10 packs of ciggies a day you be pretty happy with government regulations to reduce air pollution.

Whether Global warming turns out to be true or false, introducing something to make companies / consumers more environmental friendly is a good thing. we will always choose the cheapest option which is to do nothing.

Back