The big BBQ in Canberra

Dear Geoff,

There is always merit in "rotating" events.

Needs to have people with the drive to organise it but I am all for supporting the idea of such events.

You and I both know this forum is about supporting each other and "not hijacking" or the perception of it.

Asy does have the best of intentions. Maybe CBR is better when it's stinking hot in Brissy?

Cheers,

Sunstone.

I'd cast my vote for a BBQ in CBR later in the year - perhaps late October or November, before it gets too hot. Definitely NOT in June/July !!

No reason we can't do both CBR and BNE in the same year (so long as they are reasonably spaced)

It sounds OK by me.

Somebody did mention that Accomodation during Floriade is a bit tight- but, given notice, would that be a problem? That's on 13 September to 12 October 2003.

(Interestingly, one of the local politicians was lobbying to have the dates moved later. The fact that flowers might have stopped blooming by then did not occur to him).

For people who don't know, here's the Floriade link:
http://www.floriadeaustralia.com/2003/

Originally posted by geoffw

(Interestingly, one of the local politicians was lobbying to have the dates moved later. The fact that flowers might have stopped blooming by then did not occur to him).

Musta been Simon Crean?? Seems he didn't think USA could win the war in Iraq either. . .:D

YES, BBQ during Floriade makes perfect blooming sense to me.

Steve

I tend to come down for floriade, so a meet up would be nice!

(Sorry to have missed the Sydney one, I'm busy finishing up a reno - should be finished this weekend, will post pics).

Jas

October 4-6 is a long weekend in ACT/NSW/SA. Would people be interested that weekend, or would that make accommodation too tight?

Sounds great to me :p

I think Sim's idea was a good one... Id be happy to go to BNE in July AND CBR in Oct...

Maybe something a little different for each one... maybe a lunchtime / afternoon BBQ in BNE as was mentioned, then an evening BBQ / dinner / sleepover :p in CBR for the long weekend.

Just a few thoughts,

Jamie.

Originally posted by Jamie
Sounds great to me :p

I think Sim's idea was a good one... Id be happy to go to BNE in July AND CBR in Oct...

Maybe something a little different for each one... maybe a lunchtime / afternoon BBQ in BNE as was mentioned, then an evening BBQ / dinner / sleepover :p in CBR for the long weekend.

Just a few thoughts,

Jamie.

hmmm, like a pyjama party Jamie??

That could be interesting :)

Ruby

Originally posted by Ruby
hmmm, like a pyjama party Jamie??

That could be interesting :)

Ruby

Pyjamas sound good Ruby... or not :rolleyes:

Guess it depends on what type of networking people are into...

Jamie :p

Hi,

Hmmm, I'm glad I still read such threads, thanks MT :p I don't know where you get the impression I "hogged" the fire place, since someone I WONT mentioned, didn't bother to turn till late afternoon, and I think we BOTH know who that WAS hmmm? :p

Anyway, ACT, QLD, fine with me, need to get out of the house more often anyway.

In people were complaining about the cold, I thought that having a investors ski weekend would be great. I can just imagine the schedule now...

Arrive Friday night
Sat - morning - "networking breakfast"
Sat - day - ski
Sat - evening - "networking spa"
Sat - night - Dinner with guess speakers
- 5 min talk on wraps "Things not to do"
- 5 min talk on renos "Things I wish I didnt do"
- 5 min talk on buy/hold "Things I wish I didnt buy"
Sun - morning - "networking breakfast"
Sun - day - ski
Sun - eveing - "networking spa"
Sun - night - Leave

Dale, would that be tax deductable?

Michael G

Hi MG,

CLASSIC!

This has my vote as the new plan...

Somehow I think the term "networking-spa" is going to become a part of the forum vocabulary for a long time to come...

and if it doesnt, it should!

Jamie :D

Please Dale, tell us its deductible...

Ski?

Fine for you youngsters...

The last time I tried skiing, I had a basic lesson, and tried it for a while- just started to get the hang of it.

So I took the ski lift up to the next level. Lots of nice soft powder. Which I was not used to. Immediately fell over on my face.

Not a worry- except I lost my glasses in the snow (prescription sunnies- no backup).

It's amazing how hard it is to find glassses in the snow when you don't have glasses.

Well, actually, I did find one half of the glasses easily. The other half took a while.

Finding my way to the bottom was even harder. "Where do I go?" "Turn left at that tree way down there".

It took a long time- and my eyes were very uncomfortable. I was told the next morning I had burnt my retinas- not severely, and the recovered quickly- but not an experience I would repeat.

If I went to the snow again, I think I'd prefer to stay at the pub and "network" :D

BTW, the title "Big BBQ in Canberra" is probably irrelevant now.

It's probably time to split threads now. There's one subthread of a Brisbane meet, and another one of a springtime Canberra (possibly Floriade) get together.

Skiing or other options probably need their own new threads :D. There would probably be takers for any of those options too.

I've started a new CBR thread- http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7985

Brisbane people- your call?

Good link Geoff

Are you trying to hide something from me ?

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Cheers

Phil

Back