The Book - Publisher/contracts/literary agent

Gosh, I've missed SS for the past month. Have been writing a book with a colleague, and doing little else but going to the office and travelling for work.

So many posts to catch up on...you have all been very busy too.

So now that we've been offered publication, I'll have time to catch up.

If anyone knows anything about getting and maintaining a Literary Agent, I'd really like to hear about it. Is it as bad as having a PM?

And then there's all those publisher's contracts to sign...so much more difficult than a contract of sale. Different terminology to get my head around.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

fantastic news ... anyone who is a writer out there would know how hard it actually is to write, and then to get a contract with a publisher is fantastic.

sorry i can't help with agents - not having been involved in the industry for 8 years - but can the publisher recommend anyone?

now - give us the details! what style of book, what is it about, who has accepted it?

HI there
just wondering if you had thought of using the internet to publish an ebook? There is a burgeoning industry out there which can be taken advantage of
thanks

the industry is completely incestuous anyhow ... there are very very few private agents in australia as most of the publishers have inhouse agents (assigned editors) ... however, if getting published overseas then you definately need an overseas agent - preferably american.

try looking in the current version of "guide to literary agents" published by www.writersdigest.com

hope this helps.

Congratulations Sailor.
That is such exciting news for you.

The hardest part in this writing caper is to be in the position where a bonefide publisher is offering you a contract. So is it now worth paying an agent 15% to negotiate the contract for you? That is such a difficult decision, and only you can answer that.
Some of my writing friends are happy to pay the commission for the agent to take care of all the non-writerly bits, and others (especially those who have already found a publisher to begin with) prefer to do the negotiating themselves.

It is commonly acknowledged that finding an agent is even harder than finding a publisher. But now that you have a publisher offering you a contract, you should find it relatively easy to get an agent. Just choose a legimate agent, give them a call, and explain your situation.
Please make sure you get a legitimate one though - there are a lot of scam artists out there. Make sure an Australian agent is a member of the Australian Literary Agents Association. Some very well know agents, well respected and been around a while are; Jenny Darling, Lyn Trantor, Fran Bryson and Selwa Anthony. I'd have them at the top of my list. You will get a feel for them if you talk to them over the phone. Make sure that they are someone you feel comfortable with - personality is important for a long term relationship.

If you do decide to forgo the agent and negotiate the contract yourself, so a google search and read up lots about contracts. A couple of important things to watch out for - make sure you keep your copyright (license your work, not assign it) and make sure your royalties are based on Reccomended Retail Price - and NOT on net receipts.

Great news for you Sailor. Make sure you let us know more about your book.
I assume it is a non-fiction title - something in the field of Psychology? Who is the publisher?

Getting offered a contract is such a high - I hope you celebrated this magical occasion appropriately (glass or two of good quality sparkling perhaps?).

:)
Lily

Sorry to miss these replies...was very cold in Canberra the last four days.

Here is the blurb from our back cover:

This is a manual for men.
A guide for self protective behaviours for men in abusive relationships with enraged women. The Psychobitch is a particularly vicious type of woman, who causes untold grief and pain. there are many supports and information in the community for women who are abused. but what about abused men? who is there for them?

this book is a manual for men, who want to survive their psychobitch. based on the stories of men who have suffered, this book shows you how to survive:

· Being the victim in and out of relationships · Pain caused by Aggressive women · The Psychobunny · Being an Abused Parent · Separation Trauma · Negotiating Separation and Divorce · Moving on!

can the publisher recommend anyone?

No, they are in Germany.

now - give us the details! what style of book, what is it about, who has accepted it?

See above post.

HI there
just wondering if you had thought of using the internet to publish an ebook?
Yes, did consider it...but prefer to have the hard copy in the bookstores. I already have a book shop in Brisbane who said they would stock it.

Sorry, I don't know the industry at all, but isn't that like asking a vendor to recommend a buyers agent?
Yes, I think so. I'm still learning about what all these people do...like publishers, literary agents, and intellectual property rights lawyers, distributors, etc.

however, if getting published overseas then you definately need an overseas agent - preferably american.

Good point...thankyou.

try looking in the current version of "guide to literary agents" published by www.writersdigest.com

Thanks for that.

Congratulations Sailor.
That is such exciting news for you.

Thankyou.

So is it now worth paying an agent 15% to negotiate the contract for you?
Not when the pennies could be in our pocket.

make sure you keep your copyright (license your work, not assign it) and make sure your royalties are based on Reccomended Retail Price - and NOT on net receipts.
Yes, otherwise we end up with 10% of nothing.

Who is the publisher?
VDM....but we don't want to go with them.

Getting offered a contract is such a high - I hope you celebrated this magical occasion appropriately (glass or two of good quality sparkling perhaps?).
We did thanks.

:)
Lily

How did you find your publisher?
My co-author had her PhD published with them, and when she told them we'd written a book, they sent us a contract. But we don't like the conditions.

My brother works for Penguin, I'll ask him.

Mark
Thanks Mark. that would be great.

have you tried random house in sydney? they are very supportive of australian authors yet have international links.

over the 20years i've been writing i have heard nothing but good about selwa anthony, but i have also heard she is very hard to become a client due to demand. perhaps send her the first chapter, blurb and letter explaining the situation of being accepted but not happy with the contract.

Hey Sailor

Hubby has just had a book published this Month by Wiley. You may totally reject this, but if there is any chance you could consider making it into "A Dummy's Guide to......." then I understand they are always looking out for these books - they sell like hot cakes. His wasn't a dummy's guide though!

Also, for what it is worth, hubby, who has now had five books published, has never had any luck in finding a good Agent in Australia. Probably isn't an issue for him anymore as he now has a reputation and Wileys has given him another contract for a new book, as yet to be written.

PS Hubby is a Psych too, but very much an applied one!

Sorry to miss these replies...was very cold in Canberra the last four days.

Here is the blurb from our back cover:

This is a manual for men.
A guide for self protective behaviours for men in abusive relationships with enraged women. The Psychobitch is a particularly vicious type of woman, who causes untold grief and pain. there are many supports and information in the community for women who are abused. but what about abused men? who is there for them?

this book is a manual for men, who want to survive their psychobitch. based on the stories of men who have suffered, this book shows you how to survive:

· Being the victim in and out of relationships · Pain caused by Aggressive women · The Psychobunny · Being an Abused Parent · Separation Trauma · Negotiating Separation and Divorce · Moving on!

Put me down for one please.

great topic Sailor.......always admired you for your acknowledgement of the dark side of the Jungian animus. .....hope the sales go well.

was going to recommend UQ Press, as they used to take an interest in gender inequality issues.....but according to a friend, their focus has changed to Aus history and children's fiction.

Psychobitch......................I like it !
Looks like i will give Cairns a miss if thats where your writings are based.

Simon, do you really need a book given the recent expediences you have been through.
I think you could write a sequel

Psychobitchs need not apply

Simon, do you really need a book given the recent expediences you have been through.
I think you could write a sequel

i was also thinking that - with his "new young girlfriend" to show off i am sure he's coping with the - errrr - psycobitch rather well.

many years ago i wrote a book call "confessions of a neurotic stepmother". it was a humorous journey of a stepmother coping with the "pscyo" birthmother. i thought it was hillarious - but in hindsight, i think it cut a bit to close to the bone. i'd love to get it out again and revamp it, now that the dust has settled, but unfortunately it was deleted in a moment of panic when i thought the stepkids might come across it.

pity. i might sit down one day and work thru the episodes again to try and piece it back together.

Hi Sailor,

It's about time we started to acknowledge female on male DV - I reckon that you're pretty fantastic for writing this! Did you get my PM? For those that are interested, there is also this website:

http://www.mediaradar.org/

It's Americentric, but it's still pertinent.

Mark

P.S. I'm also keen for a copy sailor.

Back