The future of Muswellbrook

Good (if not for the environment) news on coal? Could be good for the Hunter in the coming few years

From the Eureka Report

Summary: Two of the world?s richest men have taken a $108 million stake in Whitehaven Coal in the last month in a deal that lifts their stake in the Australian coal miner to a collective 15%. Unlike most investors, they are acting on early signs of a recovery in the coal sector as oversupply issues start to resolve and demand from emerging economies heats up.
Key take-out: The first beneficial effects of the coal recovery will be felt in coal company share prices, which are likely to move up ahead of a recovery in the price of the underlying commodity.
Key beneficiaries: General investors. Category: Commodities.

That is good to hear for many who are invested up there James and Pins. I think the worst is probably (nearly at least) behind for the area and a recovery will begin now.

The area is currently ranking (in our system) in the bottom 10% for capital growth over the next 5 years. So it could be a long battle if you intend to hold out until the area picks up again. The other option could be to cut now and reinvest in a strong capital growth area to get your capital growing again. However, that does depend on your investment strategy and how old you are now etc...

I think the worst is behind muswellbrook, however, I dont think there will be any/minimal CG for the area.

Far too much supply for existing dwellings, along with I believe 400-1000 new dwelling built in a population of 12000

vacancies have fallen from the peak of 14%ish

It seems that half of tobruk and anzac parade is for sale in muswellbrook,
I wonder assuming they are owned by DOH, what the reasoning for this is?

I haven't been back up that way for over a year. At the time the government had been closing and amalgamating several offices and offering redundancies. My sources said that there were several mines which were not proceeding (at the time). When these indicators change, jump on it.

I have had Google alerts set for wherever I have Investments. Last week 2 projects have had the go ahead for Muswellbrook one being Tertiary Education Centre, the other being an Aged Care Centre.
Also 2 mines in the area Mt Arthur, cant remember the name of the other Mine but they both got approval to extend the life of the mines,
The above will help the recovery just one step at a time

I've got an investment property in Singleton (next to musswellbrook), I've also experienced rent reduction only after I've bought it for 6 months...but strangely I just did a valuation on my property and it came back with $50k increase just over 6 months...:rolleyes: anyhow I'm pretty happy with the valuation but I'm now sitting from positive geared to just slightly negative geared.....:eek:

I've got an investment property in Singleton (next to musswellbrook), I've also experienced rent reduction only after I've bought it for 6 months...but strangely I just did a valuation on my property and it came back with $50k increase just over 6 months...:rolleyes: anyhow I'm pretty happy with the valuation but I'm now sitting from positive geared to just slightly negative geared.....:eek:

just be careful, singleton has taken a battering too,

rent reduction means, property price fall

if you've got a $50k increase, then either you bought really well, or the valuation is just wrong (and yes valuers get it wrong too high quite often too!), and if you refinance, then you are in negative equity and negatively geared, which is good for cash access but increases your risk exposure

I wonder if the opening of Hunter Expressway has had / will have an impact, more on Singleton perhaps than Muswellbrook. It's now an hour flat from the centre of Newcastle to Singleton, under an hour from most of the surrounding suburbs.

I wonder if the opening of Hunter Expressway has had / will have an impact, more on Singleton perhaps than Muswellbrook. It's now an hour flat from the centre of Newcastle to Singleton, under an hour from most of the surrounding suburbs.

I hope it does lol, and that's one of the reason why I invested in there along with a barrack camp there and it's only a short drive to Gosford and New Castle;)

is it just me or is everything about this house just wrong!

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-muswellbrook-118376923

2 dryers
shower with basically no walls
poor bathroom design
too many bdrs
spa bath
is it a pond or pool?
funny rumpus
That's a side-loading washer and a dryer.
Open shower was the first thing I noticed - hate having to get the entire bathroom wet everytime!
Feels like a try-hard glamorous house to me - likely a cheaper block which meant leftover funds to pour into a "cookie-cutter rich person's house" from a magazine, but without the proper thought into design to make it all flow.

Back