"The Gloom Boom & Doom Report"

...The bank just notified us via email yesterday asking us which account to take the valuation fee out of for this particular property and when will we be making the interest payment...

Hi NR,

If you don’t mind me asking, do you have an opinion as to exactly why the lender has decided to undertake a valuation on a particular property of yours at this time? Yes, it will be a few days (at least) until they respond to your “please explain” email but I wonder if you have any thoughts in the meantime?

Regards – Ben

Hiya BB. That particular individual was consigned to the "have a nice life on the government pension" as he was another troll. What I find so amusing is I have stated innumerable times. If you find my posts too upsetting the site providers allow you to not see the posters who you feel are not conducive to your continued learning journey:D

If you want just to see the blue sky geared to the back teeth be my guest:p
I don't give oxygen to trolls.

Hi NR

Very hard to continue on a learning journey with you when you continuously
avoid answering questions regarding your posts.

Then as members point out this avoidance they cop a post full of name
calling and abuse and are then placed on ignore according to you.

Some of your posts are interesting in setting out your predictions but you
seem to have a problem in setting out your whys and providing data to support all your predictions.

Perhaps in running your own businesses you are an authoritarian and don't
like being questioned over decisions, who knows.

Spend some time reading Token Funders posts, many here would disagree with some of his outlook but he is willing to answer questions in a detailed and civil manner and I would think he is respected for this by those that disagree along with those that agree with him.

Cheers

Pete

Hi NR

Very hard to continue on a learning journey with you when you continuously
avoid answering questions regarding your posts.

Then as members point out this avoidance they cop a post full of name
calling and abuse and are then placed on ignore according to you.

Some of your posts are interesting in setting out your predictions but you
seem to have a problem in setting out your whys and providing data to support all your predictions.

Perhaps in running your own businesses you are an authoritarian and don't
like being questioned over decisions, who knows.

Spend some time reading Token Funders posts, many here would disagree with some of his outlook but he is willing to answer questions in a detailed and civil manner and I would think he is respected for this by those that disagree along with those that agree with him.

Cheers

Pete

When I get asked the same question over and over and it becomes clear that its not leading anywhere and its apparent that the poster is playing the troll I reserve the right to remove them from my view.

If you went back and looked at my posts over the last year and a half I have explained and went to great detail but I'm told that I haven't explained myself simply because they don't like my position. If you haven't been following my posts since before the stock market crash then what you have seen is some of the questioners being ignored. That is because I have used the facility on this site that allows me not to view their posts

The reality is some don't agree with my predictions and continue to play silly games, continue to deny that a world wide soft depression and try to tie me up by demanding more and more posts while conceeding nothing and using my earlier posts to insult and denigrate me personally.

I despise the Australian trait of picking on someone because they have suceeded financially. My call to protect yourself by not gearing above 30% in these uncertain times I guess is only useful if you have the assets to protect.

I was under the illusion that the majority of posters on this site were sophisticated investors. The reality is most of the blue sky geared to the back teeth crowd don't have a pot to piss in.

Hi NR,

If you don’t mind me asking, do you have an opinion as to exactly why the lender has decided to undertake a valuation on a particular property of yours at this time? Yes, it will be a few days (at least) until they respond to your “please explain” email but I wonder if you have any thoughts in the meantime?

Regards – Ben

I don't think we are being picked on the request came from not my banker but an assistant. I have noticed some subtle changes at nab and I just think that all property investors are going to be under the microscope as the property down turn accelerates.

...The bank just notified us via email yesterday asking us which account to take the valuation fee out of for this particular property and when will we be making the interest payment...

I don't think we are being picked on the request came from not my banker but an assistant. I have noticed some subtle changes at nab and I just think that all property investors are going to be under the microscope as the property down turn accelerates.

Some questions for the broader Somersoft community,

Has anyone else encountered similar situations with NAB? Do you know anyone else that may have? Were they residential property loans? Were they residential properties?

Thanks in advance – Ben

I do though have a problem with trolls.
I don't give oxygen to trolls.
You really are a bitter and twisted little sock puppy and you have doo doo'd on my welcome mat for the last time. Since you persist in acting like a little mongrel I'm taking you by the scruff of your collar and rubbing your nose in your still warm dookie and am depositing you outside my view.

Uhuh... so that's not a troll post then?

When I get asked the same question over and over and it becomes clear that its not leading anywhere

I'm sorry you feel that way nonrecourse. Yes I have asked you this question several times, however it's not leading anywhere because you always refuse to answer the question. Instead you throw insults and accusations around in response. I'm guessing this is because you can't answer the question, but if you believe you have already answered it then please just link to your post where you did so. That shouldn't be too hard to do. If your response to probing questions is to put the questioner on ignore, then it kind of proves that you are unable to back yourself up.

My question is this:

You have said that you expect the 'soft depression' to exhibit the following attributes:

- Unemployment to remain a reasonably low levels
- Very low interest rates
- Increasing rents

If we have low unemployment, low interest rates, high demand for property and higher rents, then what exactly will force so many people to sell that it causes a 50% dive in residential property values.

For prices to drop 50% we would need to see massive levels of forced sales. Unless you are a forced seller, why on earth would you sell for a 50% discount? What will cause all these forced sales?

For prices to fall 50% there needs to be no buyers at 5% down... no buyers at 10% down... no buyers at 15% down. There are plenty of buyers ready to jump in right now (even before any significant falls) and even more ready to jump in at 10% down. Most people just want a house to live in and will buy when they can afford it. Many can afford it right now.

Property investors are already seeing cashflow positive opportunities without any significant falls in house prices required. Why sell for a 50% loss if you're cashflow positive?

I'm really interested to hear what you think will actually trigger this big crash. What aspect, specifically, of the 'soft depression' will force enough fully employed cashflow positive Australians to sell at a 50% loss that it causes the Australian median house price to crash by this amount?

Cheers,

Shadow.

I'm sorry you feel that way nonrecourse. Yes I have asked you this question several times, however it's not leading anywhere because you always refuse to answer the question. Instead you throw insults and accusations around in response. I'm guessing this is because you can't answer the question, but if you believe you have already answered it then please just link to your post where you did so. That shouldn't be too hard to do. If your response to probing questions is to put the questioner on ignore, then it kind of proves that you are unable to back yourself up.

My question is this:

You have said that you expect the 'soft depression' to exhibit the following attributes:

- Unemployment to remain a reasonably low levels
- Very low interest rates
- Increasing rents

If we have low unemployment, low interest rates, high demand for property and higher rents, then what exactly will force so many people to sell that it causes a 50% dive in residential property values.

For prices to drop 50% we would need to see massive levels of forced sales. Unless you are a forced seller, why on earth would you sell for a 50% discount? What will cause all these forced sales?

For prices to fall 50% there needs to be no buyers at 5% down... no buyers at 10% down... no buyers at 15% down. There are plenty of buyers ready to jump in right now (even before any significant falls) and even more ready to jump in at 10% down. Most people just want a house to live in and will buy when they can afford it. Many can afford it right now.

Property investors are already seeing cashflow positive opportunities without any significant falls in house prices required. Why sell for a 50% loss if you're cashflow positive?

I'm really interested to hear what you think will actually trigger this big crash. What aspect, specifically, of the 'soft depression' will force enough fully employed cashflow positive Australians to sell at a 50% loss that it causes the Australian median house price to crash by this amount?

Cheers,

Shadow.

Though I haven't been asked for a re-valuation, NAB have intimated that "values have dropped" - thus refusing further Equity loans

Some questions for the broader Somersoft community,

Has anyone else encountered similar situations with NAB? Do you know anyone else that may have? Were they residential property loans? Were they residential properties?

Yes, mine is a Resi property - the only one I have with NAB (thank heaven).

They appear to be "battening down the hatches" big-time and invoke draconian NAB rules that help to slow me down.... (the old "jointly and severally liable" chestnut - no other lender does it, to my knowledge - at least, not the way THEY do it).

Time to cut the apron strings !!

Regards,

You really are a bitter and twisted little sock puppy and you have doo doo'd on my welcome mat for the last time. Since you persist in acting like a little mongrel I'm taking you by the scruff of your collar and rubbing your nose in your still warm dookie and am depositing you outside my view. You can drop your lunch box on someone else.

+ 1

Dave

Shad, as you know I'm not in the 40% down category but, that said, you need to re-read and re-think this sort of silliness.

You Don't Need "Massive Levels of Forced Sales". You are running the risk of the straw man/arguing with yourself caper again.

Western Sydney 05/06 dropped like a stone. There weren't "massive numbers" of forced sales. There was, however, a whole bunch of punters who paid too much/borrowed to much in the years prior. The sales that occured were disasters but most people in W Sydney didn't sell, most people weren't in arrears and most people didn't lose their jobs.

It doesn't matter in a bubble, parts of W Sydney 02-04 were a bubble and I saw a lot of 40% losses on individual properties.

Oh, and it goes without saying that the price on your house can drop without you actually selling it in exactly the same way it went up without you selling it. As an investor, this matters nought if your yield is OK.

As I have alluded to before. The banks only need to drill into the 30% of properties that are owned by investors for things to get really ugly. That has always been my premise and that is why I have and continue to advocate gearing of no more than 30%;)

As I have alluded to before. The banks only need to drill into the 30% of properties that are owned by investors for things to get really ugly. That has always been my premise and that is why I have and continue to advocate gearing of no more than 30%;)

Nonrecourse,

I have been following your posts with interest. You rightly predicted some time ago that the stock market would drop to 3500 - and it has dropped below this.

Can I just ask why 30% gearing is ok, and not to even aim for a lower gearing level?

Nonrecourse,

I have been following your posts with interest. You rightly predicted some time ago that the stock market would drop to 3500 - and it has dropped below this.

Can I just ask why 30% gearing is ok, and not to even aim for a lower gearing level?

Because at 30% gearing if you have a 50% reduction of your LVR you still are within the banks solvency comfort zone. When every one else is bailing out of property you still are in the game and ready for the biggest firesale in living memory. The banks will be looking for someone to unload all the excess property at pennies to the dollar.

Provided you have sufficient income that you have transfered into gold bullion you can be greedy when every one else is screaming the sky is falling.

I have never advocated divesting yourself of all your properties simply because when the financial collapse occurs only property and gold will protect you from total financial ruin.

What? Couldnt find an Aus article gotta go sifting through Russias bins.

Dave

Nah worse than that, firstly the link has nothing to do with australian banks, its a link related to justification of further expansion of Russia's gold exploration.

Secondly the moscow times: yes with the dominance of the Kremlin, i would regard that paper as a non-biased source, NOT!!!!!!

In spite of all the nonsense you hear about how safe Australian banks are just watch what happens when the **** hits the fan later this year and the asx drops below 2200

Why not ring up "Irish Kev From Queensland"and tell him about your 2200
ASX levels, it's not going to happen that"s the problem with uncertainty
anyone can produce a number,throw in a few random psychology lines and next it's history.. willair.

You Don't Need "Massive Levels of Forced Sales". You are running the risk of the straw man/arguing with yourself caper again.

You do need very high levels of forced sales. Take Sydney for example. In the past year there were approximately 80,000 house and unit sales across Sydney. On average, these properties sold for approx 3% below the most recent late 2007 peak. Not 50%, just 3%. The vast majority of these were of course not forced sales. There were plenty of buyers willing and able to pay current prices. On average, buyers and sellers met at 3% down, despite the fact that there may have been exceptional forced sales at 40% down.

In order for the Sydney median to fall by 50%, you need all those willing buyers at 3% down to disappear, and for the majority of sales in Sydney to be forced sellers selling to buyers who are only willing to buy at a 50% discount. What will cause that to happen? This is my question to nonrecourse.

Remember... 80,000 sales in Sydney alone over the past year. If the majority of vendors from that 80,000 are forced sellers selling at a 50% discount, then yes the median could fall by 50% and yes I would categorise that as "Massive Levels of Forced Sales". What will cause that to happen?

Western Sydney 05/06 dropped like a stone. There weren't "massive numbers" of forced sales. There was, however, a whole bunch of punters who paid too much/borrowed to much in the years prior. The sales that occured were disasters but most people in W Sydney didn't sell, most people weren't in arrears and most people didn't lose their jobs.

The median house price across the whole of Western Sydney fell by about 4% in 2004 and 3% in 2005. By 2006 the median was steady and then it rose in 2007. So we had a Western Sydney peak to trough nominal fall of about 7% followed by prices rising again. Of course, certain individual properties fell by 40%. Some individual suburb medians fell by 20%, but across the whole of Western Sydney, the forced sales and the normal sales averaged out to a 7% fall over two years. On average, buyers and vendors met at 7% down, not 40%. My question to nonrecourse is what will cause vendors to meet at 50% down, on average, across the whole of Australia, in order to cause the Australian median to fall by 50%?

It doesn't matter in a bubble, parts of W Sydney 02-04 were a bubble and I saw a lot of 40% losses on individual properties.

Certainly there were individual properties that sold for 40% discounts during the slump, in the same way that some individual properties sold for 40% annual gains during the boom. But they are the exceptions. On average, across Western Sydney, median prices only fell by 7%.

Oh, and it goes without saying that the price on your house can drop without you actually selling it in exactly the same way it went up without you selling it. As an investor, this matters nought if your yield is OK.

Yes, but in the case of Western Sydney, median property prices didn't drop by the 40% exception. They dropped by the 7% average. If I had an 'average' Western Sydney house, and I had it revalued without selling it, then the valuation would come in at a 7% reduction. Yes, if my house was right beside three houses that had sold for a 50% discount, then my valuation would come in at a 50% reduction. But that would be the exception not the norm.

If I lived in a street with 200 houses, and even if two of those houses were forced sales to lucky buyers for a 50% discount, while 10 others sold for a 5% discount (because those vendors didn't need to sell, and the buyers were willing to buy at 5% down), then my valuation would come in at a 5% reduction. You see, for median prices to fall by 50%, then 50% down sales need to become the norm, not the exception. This means massive levels of forced sales.

So again, I repeat my question. Given that nonrecourse believes that unemployment will remain a reasonably low levels, interest rates will be low, and rents will increase, what exactly will force so many people to sell that it causes a 50% dive in residential property values right across Australia? Nonrecourse is suggesting that across Australia, vendors and buyers will on average meet at 50% down. It will take massive levels of forced sales to make this happen. Exceptional sales at 50% down won't do it. There needs to be nobody buying at 5% down. Nobody buying at 10% down. The average buyer needs to be willing only to buy at a 50% discount. Specifically what aspect of the 'soft depression' will make this happen?

Nonrecourse reminds me of some of the more fanatical gloomers from the other forum. Back in early 2007 these gloomers, such as JamesP1746, Hired Goon, and various Ed Karan clones etc. were all claiming that the Australian median would be down by 40% (nominal) by the end of 2007. Then as the year rolled on they said they really meant 30-40% in some regions. And then towards the end of 2008 they were proudly proclaiming - 'Look, I was right' while pointing to individual properties (usually the same few properties in Kellyville) that had fallen by 30%. :rolleyes:

And now, in 2009, just like nonrecourse, they are fully confident that the big 30/40/50% falls will happen over the following year or so. It's always next year for the big crash. LoneCrow is claiming 90% falls are on the way. And by the end on 2009 they will again be pointing to individual properties that have fallen by 30% and claiming vindication.

The more sensible gloomers from the other site - FHB, RE, Croc, Gravy, Salinger, Mantronic, Boof etc. have all realised that those big 40% falls across the board are never coming and have decided to just buy now. At least some of them are learning.

Many of the fanatical gloomers from 2008 (JP1746, Exocet and his various Ed Karan clones etc), the ones who were confident that the 40% falls would happen by the end of 2008... well, they've just stopped posting. Gone. And many of the gloomers who do remain have modified their predictions to 30% fall in real terms over many years, long stagnation etc. Of course, there is always plenty of new blood joining up, brimming with deluded confidence that the massive falls are just around the corner, Stingray, Maria Santa etc. But in time they will learn too. As will nonrecourse.

Cheers,

Shadow.

Last edited:
In spite of all the nonsense you hear about how safe Australian banks are just watch what happens when the **** hits the fan later this year and the asx drops below 2200

Why not ring up "Irish Kev From Queensland"and tell him about your 2200
ASX levels, it's not going to happen that"s the problem with uncertainty
anyone can produce a number,throw in a few random psychology lines and next it's history.. willair.

Last September when the asx was 5200 I said that it would be under 3500 in six weeks. I was wrong it took 7 weeks:p Watch and weep wee willi October 2009 will see the Australian sharemarket in melt down. An entire generation of retires will see the rest of their super go down the proverbial drain and we will have the MLC's of the world on TV telling us its time in the market:rolleyes:

Back