The great British Class Calculator

Based on a conception of class that includes social and cultural things as well as financial.

Article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21953364

Take the test at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

7 classes are identified:

Elite: Most privileged group, set apart from other classes because of wealth. Highest scoring economically, socially and culturally

Established middle class: Largest class group and second wealthiest. Also score high culturally and socially

Technical middle class: Small distinct group that aren't so social but have money and are into emerging culture such as gaming, the internet and rock music

New affluent workers: A young group, socially and culturally active with middling levels of income

Traditional working class: Score low economically, socially and culturally but have reasonably high house values and oldest average age

Emergent service workers: New young urban group who don't have much money but are very social and cultural. They "live for today"

Precariat: Poorest, most deprived class who score low economically, socially and culturally

Interesting. Would like to see one of these for Australia. I think most of us on SS will come out as Elite due to the income and property section. Given that we apparently have expensive housing that no one can afford to buy.

Interesting. Would like to see one of these for Australia. I think most of us on SS will come out as Elite due to the income and property section. Given that we apparently have expensive housing that no one can afford to buy.
I think Elite in the U.K would be more than owning a few properties.. They'd most likely own a decent size company, be president of the local polo club, and regularly have high tea with the Queen.

Elite in Straya = Kyle Sandilands :p

It may also come back to if it's is "Old-Money",or self made new money that within it self makes people that start with nothing,and start in the gutter very powerfull..

hmmm - apparently I'm technical class ... but really I'm traditional working class due to my circle of "unelite" friends (very limited range of occupations to choose from) - with money.

hahaha - if i'm "Elite" then I fear for the UK social demographic.

Yeah, me too.

I came out as an elite - but to be honest I wouldnt want to be a member of any club which allowed people like me to be members.

Interestingly Im only elite due to my income. I ran the test again and lowered my income. If I was poorer I would be considered "traditional working class".

I think that makes me a Cashed up Bogan :)

Back