The Investors Club

Do you have a password to access TICs list of available properties? If so, there is definitely a lot more then 3 listings.

EDIT:
For what it's worth, whether the arguement is leaning towards or against TIC. Thanks for your posts Greyman. All input and posts from everyone definitely goes towards getting a wider view of TIC.

You do need to be a member of TIC to see all available properties and of course membership is free. Access to available properties listed on the web site is via a username and password.

While TIC is not for everyone, and there have certainly been some vocal critics on this forum, those that have purchased properties through TIC are almost without exception, very supportive of TIC and what it has helped them achieve. And as many in this post have said, it is about the level of support and encouragement members receive in getting started in something they may not have otherwise.

As with anything, there are exceptions, and over the time that TIC has been in operation, there has only been a handful of investors who have not had the experience they had hoped for. Try as you might, you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

My take on TIC
membership is free, but to be a member you have to fill in and submit a finance inquiry form. or is it called expression of interest.
TIC then have all your financial info. why do they need this if you are just looking/learning.
They are after all just helping people to have a better future by investing in ips. So they say.
Then you get a password to view their list of property for sale.
Why cant they just have a open list on their web site like other REA s ?
If the properties are so good and have great returns and great prospect of CG [so they say] then by having a list for all to see would increase sales? ??
Think how many buyers could be helped, your cup of goodness would be running over.

I would like to know why this is so.
cheers yadreamin

1. TIC lack of enough knowledge to help people with investing.

Compared to who? Most of the people who attend the seminars know nothing, and at least the IC knows enough to get them started. I learned the basics of interest only, refinancing to buy more, etc from them. Of course I've expanded my knowledge since then, but back then it was the first time I'd heard those ideas.

4. They may have helped some people in the past that is purely a luck "TIME in the market". In other words, idiots can make money, of course TIC can. We have heard few form mates said how their properties bought through TIC performed.

You just said they don't have enough knowledge to help people, but now you're changing your mind. For most of the people if they hadn't bought through the IC they wouldn't have bought at all. If the IC got lucky with the timing, there's nothing wrong with that. The boom was only obvious in hindsight. Back in 2000 property certainly wasn't popular. The research they came up with was solid: population growth, yields, etc. I know that if I hadn't bought through the IC when I did, I may not have bought for a while, if at all. While it was true that you could have bought anything in 2000 and made money, the point is without some prodding many people wouldn't have bought.

I believe that if you want a relatively smooth way of buying IPs with a lot of handholding, the IC isn't a bad way to go. Just realise that it's not a bargain, you're paying for the handholding, and you're missing out on a very big chunk of the market. However, buying IC properties consistently would beat the crap out of doing nothing.

For a lot of ordinary battlers it's probably the only way they're ever going to buy property, and, with luck, succeed. I think anyone who develops as an investor, however, will outgrow them.
Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Why cant they just have a open list on their web site like other REA s ?
If the properties are so good and have great returns and great prospect of CG [so they say] then by having a list for all to see would increase sales? ??
Think how many buyers could be helped, your cup of goodness would be running over.

The irony here is that most of their properties are on RE.com as they are open listed with many REA's...see my earlier post...REA's can sell them often at cheaper prices too!!

oh to be educated!!! :p

Just wondering... you'd never pay the asking price whether it is a car or something as expensive as property.

So then, if you see a property (same property) at TIC and a REA, and it is cheaper at the REA, wouldn't that make a great negotiating opportunity?! That's the way I'd see it. If TIC can't/won't entertain a any movement in their prices its then just a simple decision to purchase from the REA (which is cheaper anyway). And if TIC will meet you on the price then you've got yourself an IP with the continued 'hand holding' from them. However, I don't know if TIC would be too keen on holding your hand anymore if you knock out their profit margin.

I was led to understand that there is generally a price fixing arrangement in place, in that if the developer attemtps to sell thru an agent cheaper then TIC will dump the developer as a client. It generally works in favour of the developer anyway, as TIC may charge say $30k commission for a property whereas a local agent may only charge say $12k. So if there are 30 houses to shift, dump say 15 thru TIC to clear debts and then sit back and collect an extra $18k per property in saved commission by just selling on the open market

I was led to understand that there is generally a price fixing arrangement in place, in that if the developer attemtps to sell thru an agent cheaper then TIC will dump the developer as a client. It generally works in favour of the developer anyway, as TIC may charge say $30k commission for a property whereas a local agent may only charge say $12k. So if there are 30 houses to shift, dump say 15 thru TIC to clear debts and then sit back and collect an extra $18k per property in saved commission by just selling on the open market

Well I'd certainly be TIC'ed off if i'd paid an extra 18 large for a property just for a bit of warm and fuzzy and a few less phone calls.:eek:

Dave

I was led to understand that there is generally a price fixing arrangement in place, in that if the developer attemtps to sell thru an agent cheaper then TIC will dump the developer as a client.

yeah i've heard that too, but as i said, the developers go to the agents on the side and tell them they'll knock up to x amount of the price for REA buyers given there is not the extra marketing fees etc...the listed price doesn't move so TIC will only find out if they are really clever or way after the event through RPdata etc...and given a lot of these are OTP stock, its 12 months before they would figure out what happened.

the other side of that argument is, there are only so many developers and i know of at least a dozen or so in Brisbane who discount to REA's when TIC is involved, so if they canned all the developers who did this, they would be very short of stock??

at the end of the day, a sale is a sale is a sale...i still have to sell three or four to bring in the same comms as 1 of theirs...so if they want to complain about a 10-20k discount for our buyers, they will be the ones losing.

Last edited:
I don't have a password to their site so i don't know what they are currently flogging.

However over the last 18 months i have been involved in the marketing and sale of several unit developments through inner nth bris and surrounding areas that were also being sold through TIC.

One development block in particular in Nundah I had an offer on a brand new unit at the same time as TIC...we got the sale for 5k less than TIC's offer because the developer was still way in front. That same development, we even had to ask TIC's representative and buyers to leave the property as they came through during one of our allotted open home times and were talking to other buyers there for the open.

Had one in the Stafford area that the developers said to us "the price is set at $x to cope with TIC fees, if you guys have a buyer, i will let it go for $y" which was a bit over 10k less.

not going to post exact details of past sites or developers to protect their interests and so as not to cause dramas between parties...

if i had access to TIC current property role for the northside of Brisbane, i could show you which are built by developers who list with every agent in town - once again, there are only so many developers...and they just want to sell their stock to move onto the next job. If they can do it through TIC, great - if they can save a few thou by undercutting TIC and flogging them through a dozen agents - great!!

I must point out that TIC aren't the only ones who do this...there are a few other property "clubs" and groups that operate in Brisbane as well and one lady in particular is becoming quite renowned for her ability to offload stock for developers very quickly...

Compared to who? Most of the people who attend the seminars know nothing, and at least the IC knows enough to get them started. I learned the basics of interest only, refinancing to buy more, etc from them. Of course I've expanded my knowledge since then, but back then it was the first time I'd heard those ideas.

You just said they don't have enough knowledge to help people, but now you're changing your mind. For most of the people if they hadn't bought through the IC they wouldn't have bought at all. If the IC got lucky with the timing, there's nothing wrong with that. The boom was only obvious in hindsight. Back in 2000 property certainly wasn't popular. The research they came up with was solid: population growth, yields, etc. I know that if I hadn't bought through the IC when I did, I may not have bought for a while, if at all. While it was true that you could have bought anything in 2000 and made money, the point is without some prodding many people wouldn't have bought.

I believe that if you want a relatively smooth way of buying IPs with a lot of handholding, the IC isn't a bad way to go. Just realise that it's not a bargain, you're paying for the handholding, and you're missing out on a very big chunk of the market. However, buying IC properties consistently would beat the crap out of doing nothing.

For a lot of ordinary battlers it's probably the only way they're ever going to buy property, and, with luck, succeed. I think anyone who develops as an investor, however, will outgrow them.
Alex

Alex, mate, do not know how to argue with you. To assist you to buy one or two propertyies from someone who just bought one or two properties --- is not enough investing knowledge (Please read Dazzling's explaination). I hate to write a long story. If you can understand, it fine; if not bad luck. If they do portrait themselves as property salers --- the story would be different, because they pretend to be a helper. Any real estate agent can give you a better advice than TIC if you buy from him/her.

My 1.5c

I was thinking that there have been numerous posts on this Forum about discussing your Investing with Family, Friends, Workmates etc and the "pro's" and "con's" of doing so OR not..TIC seems to give an opportunity to do that:confused:

IC or TIC may or may not be a Club as mentioned here, but it’s certainly attracting a large group of members/clients to its fold, they seem to enjoy the get togethers and ability to network with likeminded individuals, help out newcomers/clients; there’s also the ability to obtain market research and analysis, look at putting together an individual strategic plan, help with property selection (and provision), funding options, there’s the ability to source the ‘professional’ members of your team (accountant, Brokers, Lawyers, conveyancers) as well as Tradies, Building Inspectors etc and the ability to get referrals/feedback from other members as to how good/bad they may be and maybe most importantly support and a number of people to “bounce” ideas off.

It’d be better if they got discounts at Bunning’s, Tile centres, Group Access to RP Data or Residex, API subscriptions, an extra 4c off Fuel at Woolworths fuel etc etc (you get the idea).

I’m sure a number of investors with TIC also invest in other projects outside of this group (If not, I’m not sure why as there’s benefits therein and they have the research on hand to assist).

Consider that to the lone investor who may be looking for some direction or assistance.

Luckily I/We have Somersoft, but am sure there are numerous people out there who know nothing about this forum and the invaluable free resource within.

PS-
Not a member of TIC, The SA Mafia or the Akubra Brigade, but I’ve gotta admit to attending some meetings and looking at some of their properties and thier FIDO system; in the end I decided to fly to Brisbane and pick up an IP myself, I also received tips and assistance from other Somersoft Members; would I ever purchase one of their IP’s?

….ya never know;)

Back