The Off Topic Thread

i now have a dishwasher in!!

so, wall oven, dishwasher, floor tiles, several drawer carcasses ... no drawers in yet (although i spent today screwing the three sides and bottoms of 17 drawers together).

off to nz on wednesday - hoping the drawers are in when junior and i get back.:D

hmm - also hope the island bench carcasses are in so i can order the benchtops when i get back too.

finally bit the bullet and got a HD box yesterday. Was just going to get a cheap $100 one, but DH got talking to the sales person, and then had a look at them all 'properly' so I wandered off and when I came back I found out that for some reason we 'had' to have the $600 one (but you are saving heaps, apparantly, because they normally sell for over $800 - which DH took measures to show me in every other store we visited after). My DD is thoroughly impressed that we can now pause and rewind the TV.

Once you get used to pausing and rewinding you will wonder how you managed without it :D. You will never have to watch an ad again.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...their-peril-20091005-gimb.html?skin=text-only

We'll get to the magpie swooping business directly, because it relates to the matter of an over-abundance of stress hormones and testosterone, but first we ought to set the record straight about precisely what Mr Turnbull called his sneaky backbenchers.

He didn't call them saucy bottoms. Nor, as it happens, did he call them ********s, which is the unfortunate term attributed to the matter by Fran Kelly on ABC's Radio National this morning, startling those of us lolling about in our beds on this Monday holiday. Talk about wake in fright!

No, it took Turnbull's new assistant shadow on emissions trading design, Ian Macfarlane, to gently remind Fran that in fact, she had misconstrued the terminology. Turnbull had called those grumbling about his agreement to negotiate over an emissions trading scheme "anonymous smart-arses".

A.S.A's. I like it.

What is the difference between Ketchup and tomato sauce???

americanism and australian culture.

I recall going into a maccas overseas and getting asked if i wanted ketchup with my fries and i said, "no i wanted tomato sauce" and they'd look at me as though i was crazy....they had no idea what tomato sauce was.

thanks

g

americanism and australian culture.

I recall going into a maccas overseas and getting asked if i wanted ketchup with my fries and i said, "no i wanted tomato sauce" and they'd look at me as though i was crazy....they had no idea what tomato sauce was.

thanks

g

Is that all? they don't taste any different?

then why do they sell both in the supermarket?

That's actually Neil Young. Helpless. His best song i reckon.

KD covered it on a tribute album to Canadian singers. Not a bad album either.

singing a little bit of KDlang..

There is a town in north Ontario,
With dream comfort memory to spare,
And in my mind
I still need a place to go,
All my changes were there.

Blue, blue windows behind the stars,
Yellow moon on the rise,
Big birds flying across the sky,
Throwing shadows on our eyes.
Leave us......

It looks like the consensus is that ketchup usually contains vinegar, and is sweeter. :)

Even if they were the same, gg1965, what's the point of asking for tomato sauce in the USA?

Doesn't that make you as much of a (insert pejorative) as an American who'd say in Australia "No, I don't want tomato sauce, I want ketchup"?

learn something new everyday, thank you :)
although why anyone would want tomato sauce to taste even sweeter is beyond me...

I just took a 'Financial IQ' survey that was sent to me by CoreData. This is the result:

Well done!! Your Financial IQ is between 125 and 135. This places you close to two standard deviations above the national average. In basic terms it means your Financial IQ is in the top 7% of the population with regard to understanding financial terms and concepts. Placing you well above the average level of national understanding. You are clearly smarter than most bankers and should possibly consider a new career working for the RBA. However as with all major financial decisions you should still carefully consider all your options before making major financial purhcases.

NormalCurveSmall.png

So apparently, I'm so smart I should go out and get a JOB :)

someone in newcastle won the $16mil ($2) lottery today - and it wasn't me (sob) - despite buying a ticket every couple of days.

ah well - i'd be happy with the $610k that it stands at now.

although why anyone would want tomato sauce to taste even sweeter is beyond me...

well - it is america. i caught something the other night on abc regarding a "produce" show .... kinda like a farmers market ... and everything was deep fried and stuck on a stick. and everyone looked kinda - um - overweight too.

what terrible presentation of fresh and healthy (not any more) produce.

Broken hearted AGAIN Humpf???
i try so hard , as my little 8yo wanted a little bunny, so we got a cage from the pet store, triangle type of thing , at least untill i could build somthing else, and within a two month period, a fox or dog broke in and got the loot, smashed the bottem out, ripped off the wire and walked away with dinner, expected as thats life and my little one cried and broken hearted........
months later i had lots of materials , and i built a larger cage, painted , strong wire etc etc , it was a father , daughter project, we selected a guinie pig and a babby rabit, new for her, feeling confident that the cage was all strong and stuff, we noticed one weekend that the top of the cage had been chewed, mind you it was corregated iron, with bite marks and a tear, ??? so replaced the sheet with somthing heavier, and was all ok, for about 5 wks, and i came home and noticed the tear in the side of the cage......... animals gone!
So enough was enough , i intended to build a cage that could keep i tiger out, using cyclone fencing and weldong every section , and sorrounding it with 1 cm wire mesh , the two new guinnie pigs , and floppy eared bunny came to our home, and tonight the rabbit was " you guessed it" GONE! but no it was not eaten, it looks like it stood on the top of the little house i made it and escaped , so if any one sees a little black floppy eared bunny please send it home , as its dearly missed, and dad is again heart broken, sheesh!

Oh Craig, what a shame.

Foxes must be a problem eh? There are plenty around where I live too, though they are obviously not so 'inventive' as we had lots of guineas when the kids were little.

Maybe an inside pet won't bring so many tears.:(

We are in the middle of packing for a 1 month trip to the U.K. and France to surprise the inlaws and friends, leave tomorrow night and will land on their doorstep on friday.

It is the inlaws 50th wedding anniversary and BIL's 40th birthday this month.

Our daughter( 6 and a bit years) is very excited to be catching up with he cousins again as we spent 3 months up to her 1st birthday and most of 2006 and 2007 on holiday based in the U.K. and travelling in europe and north africa.

Cheers

Pete

so sad , and if we didn't have i little dog , i would have bait out!! so broken hearted for her, what do ya say???

There isn't much you can say Craig. She will get over it of course, but you just hate to see your kids like that.

It is important for her to get her grief out, so probably best if you don't rush out for another pet just yet, let her get over this one first.

I'm sure you've gone looking for bunny, but here's hoping you can see him tomorrow when it's light.

We have a Houdini rabbit who lives across the road from us, he appears to be the local lawnmower, he just cruises up and done eating everyone's lawn. He must have about 20 lives that one!

Thinking of you and hoping you all get some sleep tonight.

Back