The Off Topic Thread

So they are prediciting snow for the Adelaide hills on Saturday. Last year on the same day it was 34c. So much for global warming. And how wet will the AFL Grand FInal in Melbourne be!
I'm liking the big print :D.

Ha, I missed battlers first post and thought you were talking about google!

I'm liking the big print :D.
I knew my Mum needed glasses when I had to start holding up the menu for her, whilst sitting opposite her; her arms weren't long enough to get it at the right focal length. ;)

Though she only started wearing glasses at about 58... I've started at 39. :eek:

is shoe polish the same as Dubbin, just coloured? Please settle an argument.

BTW I've needed glasses for distance since I was about 28, now I need them for reading too. I need a bigger bag as I can't get used to the graduated lenses. 20 years ago my bag was full of toy cars and rattles, now it's full of glasses' cases and Mylanta :eek:

i started wearing glasses at 11 - but had my eyes lasered at 28 and haven't worn them since. bliss.

although might need them again soon - opened the fridge door the other night, whacked myself in the face and gave myself a fat and bloody lip. not sure if it was an eyesite problem and a too many wines problem.

i started wearing glasses at 11 - but had my eyes lasered at 28 and haven't worn them since. bliss.

although might need them again soon - opened the fridge door the other night, whacked myself in the face and gave myself a fat and bloody lip. not sure if it was an eyesite problem and a too many wines problem.

You can't solve. Problem caused by too many glasses by using glasses :-(

I started at 20, I think. There or thereabouts. Possibly not helping my own cause by not wearing them very often.

LOL! I started at around 20 too. I still never wear them unless I have to (driving) although just starting to need them more often.:(

One of our clients was a well known spectacle lens manufacturer. The Business Plan is such that they 'plan' on most (but not all) people needing glasses for reading by the age of 42.

The issue I have with Laser surgery is that it has the potential to make things worse. Oh yeah, and the $$$.

I had to get glasses when I was 15 and went for my driver's licence. Couldn't read the bottom two or three rows of the eye chart :rolleyes:. I knew it was coming though, as I used to sit up the back of the class at school and couldn't read the blackboard.

These days I mostly wear contact lenses, and have just started into the presbyopia stage. Will shortly be trying my first lot of multi-focal contact lenses. I did consider having the laser treatment, but my optometrist said it would adversely affect my close-up vision when I got older (I can currently read fine without any correction) and since I had almost perfect compatibility with contact lenses, he recommended sticking with them.

GP

I had to get glasses when I was 15 and went for my driver's licence.

I had to get my name changed when I was 16 and went to apply for the airforce. Was a surprise to me at the time, but up until then my surname was still legally just Gatherum, despite being enrolled in school and going around known as Gatherum-Goss. My youngest sister is the only one of us actually born with that name.

One of our clients was a well known spectacle lens manufacturer. The Business Plan is such that they 'plan' on most (but not all) people needing glasses for reading by the age of 42.

The issue I have with Laser surgery is that it has the potential to make things worse. Oh yeah, and the $$$.

I have now bought four pairs online - ultimately come from HK (and I guess, by default, China). Wonder how the business plan holds up against the online/discount spectacle competition?

I have now bought four pairs online - ultimately come from HK (and I guess, by default, China). Wonder how the business plan holds up against the online/discount spectacle competition?

Tis a problem for them for sure. Not just the online but the discount specs have wrecked havoc. Although they do have a plant in China, which spells death knell for Australian manufacturing.

Blahhh I am sick.

I first got my glasses in yr 8 (so about 14yrs old?). I had needed them for longer but mum kept putting off taking me to get my vision checked (they had no money and six kids, so couldn't afford glasses). When I did go to the optometrist for the first time, he was absolutely appalled by my lack of sight, and even more so when he found out I rode my bike to school. :D Mum felt so guilty, and I felt vindicated because I had been trying to tell mum for years that I couldn't see the blackboard even when I sat at the front of the classroom.

On that note, my youngest sister (in year 12 this year) was amazed to here that we used to have blackboards in our classrooms when I went to school, apparently they only have whiteboards now. Made me feel old - And I am only 27 :O

Back