The state of the NZ property market thread

Seems to be tightening and heating up as of late.

Anyone invested or actively investing or following the market?
I would be interested in everyones thoughts?

some info:

http://unconditional.co.nz/wp-conte...y-Report-1st-July-2013-Realestate.co_.nz_.pdf

http://unconditional.co.nz/property-dashboard/#d1

Trademe listings of the Auckland market

The other day

Auckland City: 1879
Waitakere: 806
North Shore: 971
Manukau: 1580

18/06/12

Auckland City: 2672
Waitakere: 1482
North Shore: 1647
Manukau: 2674

23/06/11

Auckland City: 3014
Waitakere: 1784
North Shore: 2234
Manukau: 3236

Any input welcomed :D

cheers

I was looking at some prices for land and basic house to buy in the future in the northern areas to retire in as a 2nd or 3rd home. Be nice to live there in the summer and travel to other places in the winter but prices seem over priced to me.

Seems to be tightening and heating up as of late.

Anyone invested or actively investing or following the market?
I would be interested in everyones thoughts?

some info:

http://unconditional.co.nz/wp-conte...y-Report-1st-July-2013-Realestate.co_.nz_.pdf

http://unconditional.co.nz/property-dashboard/#d1

Trademe listings of the Auckland market

The other day

Auckland City: 1879
Waitakere: 806
North Shore: 971
Manukau: 1580

18/06/12

Auckland City: 2672
Waitakere: 1482
North Shore: 1647
Manukau: 2674

23/06/11

Auckland City: 3014
Waitakere: 1784
North Shore: 2234
Manukau: 3236

Any input welcomed :D

cheers

Hi
I have not been watching the NZ market, however I did hear the market is starting to move. Good news for those who hold property in NZ

Hi
I have not been watching the NZ market, however I did hear the market is starting to move. Good news for those who hold property in NZ

It does seem that way. Been fairly flat for a long time. Will be interesting to see how far it goes. Might even be worth looking at jumping in again.

Reports of offers above asking, lots of groups going through opens and looks to be a bit of fear of missing out starting to show.

Cheers

I was looking at some prices for land and basic house to buy in the future in the northern areas to retire in as a 2nd or 3rd home. Be nice to live there in the summer and travel to other places in the winter but prices seem over priced to me.

Which areas were you looking at?

Well I lived in NZ as a kid so I know it well. I looked at the Coromandel area on the eastern side and also the northern parts around Wangarai or north of there. I would probably prefer the top north area for the climate but I need to go back again and decide when there. It would need to be walking distance to beach and I would be mainly looking at a nice block of land to build an eco home on for retirement. It would need to have a piece of land that I could have plenty of room to have privacy and have a few animals etc roam around. Maybe 5 hectares or something.... My plan is to have one home there to live in the summers there (Nov to late Feb) and buy another similar block in Aus to live from Feb to May + Sep to Nov and another in SE Asia where my fiancée is from for the rest of the year.

Well I lived in NZ as a kid so I know it well. I looked at the Coromandel area on the eastern side and also the northern parts around Wangarai or north of there. I would probably prefer the top north area for the climate but I need to go back again and decide when there. It would need to be walking distance to beach and I would be mainly looking at a nice block of land to build an eco home on for retirement. It would need to have a piece of land that I could have plenty of room to have privacy and have a few animals etc roam around. Maybe 5 hectares or something.... My plan is to have one home there to live in the summers there (Nov to late Feb) and buy another similar block in Aus to live from Feb to May + Sep to Nov and another in SE Asia where my fiancée is from for the rest of the year.

Thats a good plan.
Some very nice countryside and beaches down there. Especially the coromandel areas.

cheers

I'm from Christchurch, been in Perth 3 years.
I know the property market is/has been going crazy for last year due to lack of supply with earthquake affected homes. If you had property in the right areas of Christchurch last year you would be very happy today!

NZ Property

Further to Blair's comments, the market in Christchurch is one of "fear of missing out". There are some astonishing sales. Hype is racing ahead of commonsense. I see shipwrecks ahead as new investors get into the market and don't have a clue. Great return of course if you already have rentals.

Charlotte30

I'm from Christchurch, been in Perth 3 years.
I know the property market is/has been going crazy for last year due to lack of supply with earthquake affected homes. If you had property in the right areas of Christchurch last year you would be very happy today!

Further to Blair's comments, the market in Christchurch is one of "fear of missing out". There are some astonishing sales. Hype is racing ahead of commonsense. I see shipwrecks ahead as new investors get into the market and don't have a clue. Great return of course if you already have rentals.

Charlotte30

Yeap i know a few tradies from auckland that are now working in chch rebuilding it. Decent money.

I read a story of one investor that had over 100 rentals in chch before the quakes. Eggs in the same basket at the wrong time.

But chch is full steam ahead in recovery mode so will be interesting to see how far it goes.

Cheers

have not been watching it, but the in laws feed us with little bits here an there. they are in Dunedin, sth island, big university etc
we bought 2 blocks in abbortsford for 250 nz total, have had people (read builders looking to sell on as a house and land package) enquire to buy ours as they are larger blocks. worth approx 300 nz now. so def starting to rise from the feedback on house and land packages selling now as opposed to a year ago.
stage 6, smaller blocks is still selling and they have titles almost ready for stage 7?.. must find out how many stages there are soon as it will affect our own if they continue to release more and more and not in a good way i think!

Back