The stucco's gotta go...

Hi Gang,

I'm looking at buying a house, double brick, totally smothered in swirly pink stucco. It's fine for now, but eventually I'd like to get rid of the stucco and just paint the brickwork or leave it natural... does anyone have any idea how it'd done, and what kind of cost I'd be looking at to get someone to do it. 3 bedroom freestanding 'worker's cottage' style home.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I think I know the swirls you mean ... you could either render a fine layer over that or maybe even grind the swirls off roughly and paint an acrylic render over it.

Is the pink paint or in the stucco itself?

It will depend on how it was applied and the only way to see if you are able to take off the concrete layer is to test an area normally on the bottom of a corner section.

We looked at a property a while back and the local builder stated that there was no guarantee on removing it without damaging the brickwork.

He said that the he would recommend for this property was to grind it back to "a less swirly pattern" and paint it a more neutral colour (this one was a bright sky blue).

I'm curious to know how you can be a real estate agent and not know what "stucco" is? :eek:

Maybe Xenia doesn't see too many spanish mission type homes down there in SA? This is commonly where you'd find this type of textured stucco finish.

I can only imagine the large job it would be to render these finishes smooth.... best of luck!

Maybe Xenia doesn't see too many spanish mission type homes down there in SA? This is commonly where you'd find this type of textured stucco finish.

Yep. Here's some Adelaide examples:

http://www.daonline.net.au/site/adelaide_house_styles_guide.php (about halfway down)

If the house you're looking at is a similar 1930s style, I'm not sure if it would add much value to get rid of it, given the scarcity value of pre 1950s architecture (though maybe less in Adelaide which has older housing stock).

Arches and Spanish style seemed to have had a revival in the '70s, and although '70s stuff is now considered hideous, is there a risk it could become fashionable in the future and you'd regret painting over it (assuming it's a '70s place)?

I love stucco and had it on an edwardian house I owned in bayside Melbourne. Part of it had fallen off as the house grew older but we did everything to maintain it as that was original to the house. In Melbourne I guess many early 1900's to deco houses seem to have it. I like it but each to their own and nothing lasts forever but bare in mind you may devalue it if it is original to the house and the house hasnt been butchered of any other original features such as skirting boards, cornices, pressed metal ceilings etc
If it had a 70's "reno" perhaps it worth removing.

I do texturing for computer games, there's an entire section titled 'stucco' and not a mention of 'render' :)

I spend far too much time hanging out with Americans, I know a disturbing number of names for pieces of buildings that are different to ours. Stucco apparently isn't one of them though ;)

Hi folks, I read on another blog that it was pretty hard to paint stucco because it absorbs so much paint. Spraying didn't even do that well. I think the outcome was that the best method was a roller with some very thick paint. Good luck with it!!:)

Hi folks, I read on another blog that it was pretty hard to paint stucco because it absorbs so much paint. Spraying didn't even do that well. I think the outcome was that the best method was a roller with some very thick paint. Good luck with it!!:)

I think you might be referring to vermiculite.

Tools

personally i would just paint it a neutral colour - anything but pink! as to try and change the contour would probably cause more mess and drama than replacing it is worth

Back