Thermomix. Anyone have one?

Thermomix. Anyone have one? Is it worth the $2K price tag

Mrs BMW attended a thermomix party a few days ago and hasn?t stopped talking about it.

I can't say I'm impressed as her as everything it can do, we can do already, just not in the same machine.

If it saves time and improves the cooking experience i can see how it's worth it, but just don?t want another appliance on the bench next the rice cooker, bread maker, blender etc.

We have one - and it's used daily.

Mostly for baby food, juices and milkshakes. It's also used for preparing dinner a couple of times a week.

Whilst it's handy, I'm not sure if it justifies the $2k price tag - and there's only so much soup and rissoto you can eat :( Not that it's only restricted to those dishes though. You can cook up lots of recipes.

Cheers

Jamie

I don't have one but I know you can get them shipped from Europe (Spain I think) through EBay for about half price

Seen those and will consider if we buy, will have to pay GST though as it's over the $1k limit.

also a few second hand ones on gumtree, but they are asking $1700:eek:

You may run into issues getting them fixed if bought overseas too. I have heard rumours of people having iissues

I love mine. Used several times a day. I thought I would use it for cooking dinner most nights. But I found it doesn't work as well as expected for that. Great for soups, risottos and sauces though. As well as sides - rice, salads etc.

I use it for prep work for dinner every night. I usually chop onions/garlic and saute, before transferring it to a pot on the stove. Chop veggies in it and transfer again. If you cook it all in the TM, it tends to go a bit mushy.

Great for quick cakes and muffins. The quick clean up makes it more likely to be used then traditional mixers, processors and blenders.

Don't regret buying it. If you think it is a bit expensive, check out thermochef. Scales are separate on machine, but simular machine. Don't get the Bellini!

Last edited:
We got one and it is used quite a lot.

Did some research and they appear to have been around quite a while and have a good reputation, leading me to believe it should last 10 years (hopefully 20yrs).

As we didnt have a blender etc, it is going to last a long time and be used quite often, i managed to justify the cost to myself.

I have had mine for a few years now and still love it.

If you do a search you will find there are a few threads on here where the pros and cons are discussed in depth and also comparing it to similar products now on the market.

Sunshine

My daughter has one and loves it. I was impressed with how quickly it made cooking things. She whipped up an amazing bread loaf in no time. I love the beet root salad.
Choice did a story comparing it and some of the cheaper ones. Somenofnthe others are good but none do all the things the Thermomix does.
If you love cooking it would be worth it.
George from master chef has them in all his restaurant kitchens.
You see them on Masterchef.

I have one, I don't use it often, per sae. It is great to make sauces, dips, quick cakes, salad prep, makes the best risotto. I also make a great lemon drink in it. I don't use it to its full extent but it certainly is a very useful kitchen device. I still prefer my Kenwood for some things.

You soon forget how much you paid for it.

Hi BMW,

What about an imitation as a middle ground for you and Mrs BMW?

I have the Bellini which I believe you can get for $279 from Target on sale. There are a few brands on the market which I believe are the cheap older versions of a thermomix.

We could not justify the thermomix price as we didn't know how much it would be used.

Your wife is right in her raving, I use the machine far more than I anticipated. However with just adapting the thermomix recipes and a couple of tweaks for the minor features the thermomix has that the Bellini doesn't....I am happy.

Had it for approx a year now, using more each week and no problems...far more reasonable price point.
:)

I love it for what it can do, hubby loves it for the type of motor it has. He was super impressed with the technology and didn't batt an eye at the price. Mechanical engineers:rolleyes::D

Back