Thoughts for the future

I would like to run this by some more seasoned investors. I feel I am on the right path for me however am open to other ideas because I am still a novice in a lot of ways.

- I have PPOR 90% LVR. Property worth approx. $290-$300k if I were to sell it. Bank val came back at $285,000. Currently owe $234,000.
- I have a property which I purchased with my brother to help him out. He is living in the property and paying the full mortgage repayments. I was just on the loan for servicing and stronger application. Purchase price $347,000. Owe approx. 315,000.
- I am currently refinancing to another lender who will consider 95% LVR on IP which would enable me to buy a property locally for up to $250k. I am planning to buy something which requires a basic reno. My husband doesn't work and would do a lot of the work himself.
- My income this year is $220k but mainly commission based so can fluctuate year to year by a fair bit.

My concern is once I buy the next IP then equity in my place will be used up. I know through reno I should be able to increase value of IP and tap into that for next property. Rent after reno is forecast to be approx. $100p/w positive geared. But if I remain buying properties around $250k due to available equity this may limit my opportunities.

I understand I have plenty of disposable income to throw toward it however I am not wanting to factor this in as it will be used for reno's and to pay down my PPOR mortgage mainly to start with.

Also curious if I should buy another place, live in it while renovating and rent out my current PPOR. Will this strategy help with CGT 6 year rule? I don't particularly want to move all the time lol.

I want to thank you in advance for any assistance or direction you can give me.

I would imagine refinancing to another lender will be expensive as you will have to pay new LMI on the full loan, rather than staying with your current lender, do a topup and only pay the LMI difference. Have a chat with some of the mortgage brokers on here like Rolf on how to do that.

Being on the contract with your brother will also affect your serviceability seriously. There is also the liability aspect if he was to default, then the banks will be chasing you too, consider getting yourself removed from his loan.

Back