Thoughts On My Strategy

Hi All,

I wanted to ask some of the people who have been there before who have seen great success and failure in there times investing what you thought of my strategy! I fully expect to be panned for this but having exchanged on my first property recently and wanting to quite the daily grind of working I am doing what i can to save for deposits and buy property!

My Goal is by the time im 30 ill be close to not having to work again (im 26 now)

(ALSO by posting this on a forum I feel that I’ll be accountable for what I have said and actually spurr me onto fulfilling it!!)

Mt strategy is to buy atleast three properties this year. Target properties are small one to two bedroom units around the 150,000 to 200,000 Mark within regional areas (metro if possible) with returns of 7-9%

So far i have one that i have exchanged on with the help of a BA showing 9.53%. Each month i bank 2.4K easy so ill pay this into a offset (tenants rent cover all out goings with money to spare) all will go into offset. So mathematically this will work (my accountant also agrees). (Exchanged property bought for $132,500 comparable is circa 155,000 - 160,000) I’ll use the Same BA next time as the results are fantastic

The following year I should be able buy similar properties or properties such as houses requiring some renovating (my confidence should have increased more so by then) I may buy 2-3 again dependant on the amount of success I have had with the renovations to this point.

I earn good money for a young person (circa 70K+) with it to go upto 80-90K around August. I have moved to a regional town to increase my pay (plus not knowing many people out here i have heaps of time to study markets and read books)

This is the two year goal,3-5 Year Goal is to have found a investment system so that I can invest in more properties and speed up the timing to buy and Hold more properties. I’m assuming that there will be hiccups along the way also and will be looking to minimise this by asking from the outset what I should be doing.

5 years ill be 31 and HOPEFULLY we’ll down the investing path!
This is a rough Mud Map of where I want to see my investing heading over the next couple of years, I want to be able to achieve this.

Please feel free to comment and give suggestions on what you think. Thanks again, I couldn’t have found this forum more help, even when reading other peoples threads… I maybe becoming addicted to this!

Sounds good. So are you renting now? have you a main residence?

What and how are you going to structure the deposits? What LVR loans etc?

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the reply!

I am Renting now, small unit in town. i dont have a main residence, i splut my time between here and sydney where im from.

My Plan for the deposits is to redraw from initial loan (100% offset) to purchase the next and i should have enough for costs as well each time. upon buying the second property ill pay all extra money into first offset. ie if rent is 200/week and costs are 180/week ill put $20 into the first offset and pay that down then borrow out for third property. then repeat by now paying $20/week from first second and third into first offset.

all loans will not be cross collateralized

Well if you want to retire in 3 years on say 100k your going to need about 1.1 million worth of the type of properties your buying now - paid off.

Ok, why not move into one property first and then out again and take advantage of the 6 year CGT exemption.

An offset is not a loan so what do you mean here? Just save up in the offset and take the money from there?

What is the cashflow for the property after expenses?

6 year Rule; i have read about this but i dont understand it. if i use this can i claim all the benefits of a IP while counting it as a investment with a tenant paying rent and so forth? ie out of pocket costs that i would have if it was a IP?!

I mean to be able to pool or excess money into the offset of IP1. it would be similar to saving while i have the benifit of reducing the replayment for that proeprty.

Cashflow for current is $20/week atm. it will increase until June July while i put money into it. about 2400/month while

Hi ok180!

Thanks for the response!! i'm more looking to be close to retiring or still working but not full time. i should have been more specific, thank you for the pick up :)

Better study up on the 6 year rule s118-145 ITAA 1997. You can claim all usual costs.

But, being regional what are the prospects of growth? With just $20 per week you will need 50 properties to make $1000

True i will need that to get that many to get to 1000

i have bought below market on the first property that i have gotten. i had a desktop and a drive by come back at around the 150K mark so im doing well there, this should allow me to borrow back out to speed up the purchasing. the property that was exchanged is a foundation type of proeprty, one in demand simple property that will have good rental throughout its life.

but the goal is to build and improve on that.. form the maths on this property and valuation i believe that i would be able to build up equity faster with small cosmetic renos than actually physically saving 2400 a month in a account with taxes being paid on interest.

let me know if im not being clear, im trying to illstraight my point but I maybe failing

If you can do that then I would be inclined to try to get access to the equity and leave the cash in your offset.

Check out Nathan Birch's approach.

Thanks Terry,

i've been speaking to him a bit. I may have the wring ideas on some stuff so ill keep asking. thanks for your time in responding

Well done Wigans. Would you mind posting me which Buyers Agent you are using? I have considered this same strategy and am at a similair point in life. However, I think most Buyer's Agents charge $8,000 to $10,000 per property. Is that right? I can see how that is acceptable for say a $1million house (<1%) but on a $150k regional property that is 7% or more of your total purchase price! Surely that skims any cream from the pudding?!

How did you manage it? What is the town? You can PM me if you prefer.

Well done and keep it up, I think you are on a winner.

Well done Wigans. Would you mind posting me which Buyers Agent you are using? I have considered this same strategy and am at a similair point in life. However, I think most Buyer's Agents charge $8,000 to $10,000 per property. Is that right? I can see how that is acceptable for say a $1million house (<1%) but on a $150k regional property that is 7% or more of your total purchase price! Surely that skims any cream from the pudding?!

How did you manage it? What is the town? You can PM me if you prefer.

Well done and keep it up, I think you are on a winner.

I guess with a BA you have to put a value on your time to source a suitable property. For instance:

If you value your time at $100/hr, then you have 100hrs to research/walk the streets/find suitable property to be in front of the $10,000 fee from a BA.

If you only value your time at $25/hr, then 400hrs to play with and so forth.

I guess it depends where your confidence and ultimately time -v- $$$ value to engage a BA or not.

pinkboy....or if you're a doctor making $45,000 on a Monday afternoon, I guess justifying a BA is easy! (this is for DaveMSydney :D )

DrFuzzy, Just sent a PM your way (you should have it by now haha)

Hi PinkBoy! True, i found that the BA stopped me from procrastinating any further. if i didnt get a BA i can almost for sure say that id be here in 18 months time with nothing and alot in savings with the interest being eaten in tax!

so for me this was worth it. I also chose a BA that wasnt going to charge 1K for the Job cause i have found that paying cheap for professional services is usually a bad idea

Back