Tiles broken when guttering removed

I'm replacing some of the guttering on my IP. Job was booked in for Thursday just gone but the guy didn't turn up until Friday, probably just after lunch, where he took down the old guttering and put up some new brackets. The new guttering is still on the grass waiting to go up. He hasn't been in touch so I'm not sure if he ran out of time to finish the job or ran into problems.

I noticed today that he has chipped/broken some of the roof tiles at the edge of the roof. Does this usually happen when taking off guttering? The tiles would be almost 40 years old. Is it likely that water will come into the roof when it rains? We had some solid rain late Friday arvo; I told the clouds to buzz off today :p. Any advice on how to approach him (young bloke - seems to be a sole trader) so it's a good solution for us both would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20140112_174609.jpg
    IMG_20140112_174609.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20140112_174322.jpg
    IMG_20140112_174322.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 89
Its a bit hard to tell but I don't think they are actually broken. Just been slid up to give access.
Unfortunately replacing the gutter means in most cases having to lift the corner tiles so some damage to the capping is unavoidable but should be repaired.

Ah that's good to know. There were broken off bits on the ground but not enough to account for all the tiles that weren't overhanging the roof line.

I would look around for other broken bits,perhaps in the bin etc,just in case.
It doesn't hurt to pop up there yourself on a ladder and take a couple of photos to calm yourself.But then again some could have been broken for years and just fell out of the gutter when it was taken down.Look at the edge to see if the break is new.
I believe they are just slid up for access as well but you will tell if you look for yourself..

Yep, some gutter clips are very difficult to put on without sliding the tiles up.

Why you see the gutters put on before tiles/roofing on new builds.;)

Take pa1nters advice and see if the chipped tiles are fresh chips or older.

I looked in the bin and didn't see any obvious bits. I didn't poke around amongst the rotting mangos though..
I'll pop up on my ladder tonight and have a look. It's only 1.8m tall and the roof is probably over 4m but should give a better view than from the ground.

pa1nter - is $1100 reasonable to paint the fascia board, soffits and 3 sides of the guttering of a 3 bed highset home?

Guttering and fascia are currently mission brown. I've chosen manor red for the guttering and will probably go safe and have manor red for the fascia too. Would it look odd if i had a black fascia? I plan to have some other black bits (balcony railing, a stripe on the garage doors) which it would tie in with.

Last edited:
$1100 is a reasonable price,to get a better look,get the fazia done the same color as the eves,cream or something like that. Manor red will look good with cream.He will also have to put another coat on for coverage so good for you,otherwise you might only get one coat.;)

Thanks pa1nter. Don't think I would have thought of cream, but it looks really nice with the manor red on this house. (first pic)

Will it go with my lovely orange bricks?

Attachments

• Front,_painting_finished.jpg
    Front,_painting_finished.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 48
  • ip.png
    ip.png
    368.2 KB · Views: 58
Back