Time Piece Investment

Just made my first gain from a fine watch sale.

One year ago I purchased a ca. 30 year old gold day/date Rolex for 7,000 euros. Sold it for 8,500 euros last week. 21% gain in a year. No holding costs although I did have the pleasure of its utility for a year.

This was dumb luck.

With these winnings I just purchased two Patek Philippe time pieces worth approximately 75,000 euros. Brings my total collection to around AUD$150,000. Four are Patek Philippe and one ladies white gold/diamond rolex.

I'm banking on a doubling in value in about 10 years with very little holding costs.

Anyone trying this out?

haha. buckleys.

I use these things daily so enjoy the utility and the potential appreciation. It really doesn't form a strategic part of my investment portfolio but interested in anyone making money out of these sort of goods.

Last edited:
It certainly wasn't a deliberate strategy but hubby had a watch collection of similar value before the GFC. Lucky they held their value because selling them off was part of what kept us going over the last few years. :)

haha. buckleys.

I use these things daily so enjoy the utility and the potential appreciation. It really doesn't form a strategic part of my investment portfolio but interested in anyone making money out of these sort of goods.

Maybe you should rent them out :D

The Y-man

haha. buckleys.

But Oscar, what I don't like is the fact that you are selling these beautiful items, especially if you love watches and you don't need the extra money if you get my point.

Just made my first gain from a fine watch sale.

One year ago I purchased a ca. 30 year old gold day/date Rolex for 7,000 euros. Sold it for 8,500 euros last week. 21% gain in a year. No holding costs although I did have the pleasure of its utility for a year.

This was dumb luck.

With these winnings I just purchased two Patek Philippe time pieces worth approximately 75,000 euros. Brings my total collection to around AUD$150,000. Four are Patek Philippe and one ladies white gold/diamond rolex.

I'm banking on a doubling in value in about 10 years with very little holding costs.

Anyone trying this out?

Oscar
Antique Road Show one of favs shows, the owner of this watch had a valuation at $6000 15 years prior to coming on this show.... in 2007 valued at $250,000 US. I love these stories:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di1Jl7CQ3ug

Thanks for posting that link MTR.

That's an incredibly complicated watch also adjusting for leap year, what they term "perpetual calendar". In such original condition with case and papers I'm surprised it would only fetch $250K.

I sold my rolex to get a couple more patek philippes. A bit like selling your house in Annandale to support your Point Piper purchase.

It's nice for your luxury goods you like to go up in value, but I suspect I'll be dead before I see that kind of appreciation, the lucky ones will be the benefactors of these items.

Thanks for posting that link MTR.

That's an incredibly complicated watch also adjusting for leap year, what they term "perpetual calendar". In such original condition with case and papers I'm surprised it would only fetch $250K.

I sold my rolex to get a couple more patek philippes. A bit like selling your house in Annandale to support your Point Piper purchase.

It's nice for your luxury goods you like to go up in value, but I suspect I'll be dead before I see that kind of appreciation, the lucky ones will be the benefactors of these items.

I think its wonderful that you collect and I bet lots of fun too.

It was worth $250K in 2007 so I expect much more now perhaps double this? who knows??

I am addicted to Antique Road show, I watched this one some years ago, when this old guy came on the show with an incredibly rare camera the guy who valued it at the time nearly fell off his chair when he saw it and valued it at the time at 30,000 pounds. The owner of the camera recently passed away and left it to his daughter, sold recently at auction for $620,000 US dollars. That's a nice gift to leave behind.

I think there are only 4 of these worldwide, so who has the other 3, that's what I want to know

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-25046060

I think its wonderful that you collect and I bet lots of fun too.

It was worth $250K in 2007 so I expect much more now perhaps double this? who knows??

I am addicted to Antique Road show, I watched this one some years ago, when this old guy came on the show with an incredibly rare camera the guy who valued it at the time nearly fell off his chair when he saw it and valued it at the time at 30,000 pounds. The owner of the camera recently passed away and left it to his daughter, sold recently at auction for $620,000 US dollars. That's a nice gift to leave behind.

I think there are only 4 of these worldwide, so who has the other 3, that's what I want to know

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-25046060

wow, we use to have heaps of these sorts of things kicking around. just as with the "3", they were probably sent to the tip, jumble sale or still in a boxsomewhere

I just bought my first 'nice' time piece in NY. Being the scrooge that I am, it is preloved not new but there is a huge market for preloved watches hence Oscars post. If bought well you can get some nice wear out of it then onsell for the same or more when you want to have something different.

If you want to do some online drooling visit http://chronostore.com/ and yes they will ship to Oz. I had a great long conversation with it's owner and somehow ended up also buying a Raymond Weil for hubby for Christmas.

Picked this up the other day...pretty cool.....

Hublot big bang skeleton

Model Number: 311.SM.1170.GR

www.clockmaker.com.au very good site

Attachments

• 20141205_105847.jpg
    20141205_105847.jpg
    759.7 KB · Views: 87
I'm no trader but I've been guilty of spending far too much time on watchuseek.com

I've had just the one Tissot Autoquartz for nearly 20 years. I had a thing for a mechanically charged watch with quartz accuracy. Just got the capacitor in it replaced with a rechargeable battery for the first time. Twenty years of quartz accuracy and full time use without a battery change is pretty good going IMO. Still looks the same as when I bought it.

But if this one ever dies properly then I'll be going to something like a Casio G-Shock with solar. Never having to change the battery is great and it's more robust for outdoor sports. Not to mention it costs less.

My problem is that I consider my weakness for watches just that - a weakness. Something that I'm working on so as to not be so superficial... that's just me though - of course YMMV. Motorbikes on the other hand... :)

Back