tip before rendering...

There are probably a lot of experienced renovators out there that are well aware of the importance of waterproofing retaining walls prior to rendering, but for the novices like myself I thought I would make a quick post to share my recent discoveries....

We have just rendered a 70's style brick home and have discovered that our retaining wall that runs alongside our driveway and along an entrance courtyard does not have any waterpoofing on the "inside" wall. What this means is that moisture from the soil against it is seeping into the bricks, some escapes through draininge holes but not enough. So that once it is painted , the paint will eventually bubble from the moisture trapped in there. Solution is to dig up our garden (boo hoo) and line with bitumen like paint and plastic membrane and lay "aggi" drains.

We had it proffessionally rendered and nothing was mentioned to us until the painter had a look.

So I hope this saves someone else from having to destroy their hard work in the garden.
Carolyn

Thanks for the tip Carolyn.

Did you speak to any other painters re this??

I had a 70's house and fences rendered apprx 3 years ago, then painted them all. None were waterproofed and I haven't experienced any problems with moisture or paint peeling.

I do however know of someone who had problems with waterproofing with a cement block brick patio where it wasn't waterproofed prior to tiling. Had to rip it all up and re do it all.

Perhaps some builders out their could shed some light on this topic.

Bundy

Bundy

2 of the painters that gave me quotes said it would be a problem . Our house will be fine but it is the brick retaining walls that have 3 foot of soil behind them that need protection.

Painters start tomorrow ....yippee goodbye mission brown!!:D

further update
have spoken with some landscapers and depending on the size of the area that the wall "holds back" you may also need to put blue gravel as extra drainage against the wall instead of putting soil back against the "membrane".

This will be the case for us, area is about 20 long.

So many tricks for young players....
Carolyn

Back