To BFA or not to BFA? that is the question

what I dont understand is why is it that anybody who has done or is doing first year law,seems to think they are qualified to do anything legal.....Ive done first year law, and it made me realise that the grey area is actually a lot bigger then what I thought it was

You dont go asking a first year med student how to do brain surgery!

well I dont

I agree that the problem is always the 'in-laws' putting in their two cents worth. If it was me I would draft a document stating your inputs in percentage terms and what you want done with the properties after break-up/death etc. and get a Justice of the Peace to sign it. Then take x amount of copies and have one each and give one to each person's trusted friend/sister/relative to hold in case so they all know/can prove what your intentions are.

This would be virtually pointless from a legal point of view.

I dont believe she is talking legal, I think she's worried about relatives putting their two cents worth in, and this would seriously show how both parties wanted their affairs settled

Thanks for your insight guys

@ Westminster
I get that it's strange that I am trying to protect the money from myself. The missing puzzle piece is... family. I need it to be transparent to the 'interested parties' that everything is protected.

It might be different if we were married, but I might as well wait for hell to freeze over before we get some formal recognition of same sex couples in this country :mad:

I hear you. Looking into similar things myself at the moment (she has the majority of assets and I'm interested in making sure they remain hers!). The difficulties we're having are that she's really keen to give me her PPOR equity to invest with, while I want to keep our investments separate. Make sure you're on the same page about what you're trying to do.

At the end of the day, just do the agreement and pay the 5k. It's a lot of money and it sucks, but it could be worth its weight in gold some day.

I still find it crazy how many people go without them - I'm enforcing that we should have one and I know I'd never do anything to screw her over financially! You just need to have certainty.

Interesting though - I read somewhere (damn the memory!) that you'd be looking more around $2k? Maybe look for some other quotes? -- Also, if you want to change anything at a later date, how much more $$ might you be looking at? How often do people change theirs?

Back