To build equity? Or ride the cycle?

Straight to the nuts and bolts. My partner and I are looking at buying in Melbourne and have been looking for 9 months. We?ve got about 100k saved, no debt and in mid-range tier jobs.

Like a lot of other FHB we have steadily watched with dismay as we?ve seen properties got our heart set on slowly move further and further out of our grasp.

We?ve got a budget of ideally up to 650k (but approved for more), and aiming for something that?s within an 8-10km range of the CBD. Moving past that range isn?t an option, as we?d rather just move city or save up more.

I?ve wrestled with the fact that it?s a case of either

a) taking the plunge, going above our limit or
b) or riding this cycle out, saving more and wait for slight downturn or stabilization.

I should clarify that going above our limit means to our upper approval, with lenders mortgage insurance this ends up leaving us exposed to mortgage stress once rates rise.

Recently, we?ve had a friend who?s moving and selling their 2-bdr apartment in Coburg. The cost of this is significantly lower than houses we've been looking at (480k compared to 650k), the place is quite nice and close to transport and shops and we?ve been tempting to make an offer. We realise there will be less capital growth, but will give us a chance to build equity (we?d still be making repayments of a 650k house, just on a 15-year mortgage amortization).

I prefer to notion of a house, with its own title, ability to modify, add value and larger space ? but through going to auctions and inspections every weekend observed we can?t afford any that fit the bill.

The rundown ones get snapped up by investors and the decent ones sell 120-200k+ over their reserves.
The unit then becomes a consideration but I don?t want let the fear of missing out drive such a decision, I?m also concerned that if the market were to take a dive we?d be stuck in the apartment for a long to ride out the correction.

Faced with these options, would it be wiser to save more and aim for a house, with more size and it?s own title? Or live in a unit with lower interest repayments and build equity to upgrade later?

Stick to whatever you can afford. If you can't afford a house, buy a townhouse. There is no point over-extending yourself, resulting in both financial and mental stress to you and your partner.

You will have time to buy more property later. Just get moving.

BR

I agree with above

I think you might be in for a very long wait until prices decline or stagnate. What if you wait it out and prices keep climbing for the next few years?(as I believe they will do so) You will be even further away from your goal. I think it's best to get into the market as soon as you can, even if it means lowering your expectations of the type of dwelling you can get.

I would buy something now. I was in your shoes not too long ago and bought something even though we didn't have much deposit. We got a family loan and fhog to help us not pay lmi and we bought in the outer suburbs which was more affordable. And 4 years on we have equity and our property has been valued 15% more than purchase price which has allowed us to purchase 2 investment properties so far. My only advice is buy well, and I think you not paying $200k over reserve is a good sign. You don't want to start out on the back foot because trust me down the road you make some mistakes so leave it for later ;)

Thanks guys,

All sounds advice. I've looked in a radius drawn all around the city (North, West, East, South). Honestly, I've been to quite a few auctions and been outbid (not the best experience) and prefer the properties in the inner west (Seddon, Yarraville, Newport, Footscray) and north (Brunswick East, Fitzroy North, Coburg, Preston, Northcote etc).

I don't believe prices will decline, but I think the levels of crazy gains (ie. 200k+ over reserve) will be dropping out once interest rates move up and it becomes more of an even spread. Agent under quoting doesn't help either.

At the moment, we've been looking at all the suburbs and areas mentioned but looking at an advertised price of 500-550 everything we've been interested in has gone for 680+.

I'd kick myself for passing up this unit as it's decent, but at the same time, I'd kick myself even more if we bought and then watched as house prices cooled and we found if we waited we probably could have gone the house path.

We?ve got a budget of ideally up to 650k (but approved for more), and aiming for something that?s within an 8-10km range of the CBD.

Recently, we?ve had a friend who?s moving and selling their 2-bdr apartment in Coburg. The cost of this is significantly lower than houses we've been looking at (480k compared to 650k), the place is quite nice and close to transport and shops and we?ve been tempting to make an offer.

There are definitely townhouses in your budget around coburg, Preston, Brunswick.

Stick to whatever you can afford. If you can't afford a house, buy a townhouse. There is no point over-extending yourself, resulting in both financial and mental stress to you and your partner.

You will have time to buy more property later. Just get moving.

BR

I agree.

You said you want a good quality house in a good location- basically you are looking for location,quality,size[house]. Unless you are rich, that aint going to happen. - and thats what you are finding out.
so something will have to give a little. You will have to figure it out what that is.

For my money, id comprimise on the size a bit and look for a townhouse with a good location and good enough quality. Location is the thing id least comprimise here. If it were me, id compromise the most on quality and size.

I agree in that dont try and pick a bottom [ i.e. waiting a few years++?? till the market stabilises/falls]...if you have enough cash [ and you do with 100k], then id get in now and let the magic of compounding work.
The sooner you are in the market the better [ as long as you can afford it ofcourse]. Remember that real estate is a long term game- in the long term you wont care if you bought in a bull market or a bear market. Youll just be happy you did at that time. You will only care if you look at short term; and in such cases, you are better off going to the blackjack tables and trying your luck. I hear its something like 48% chance of you winning per hand on the blackjack tables. Thats not too bad actually:D

I decided to take the plunge in 2007 - I bought my current PPOR at the top of the last property cycle, had just moved back to Brisbane and had no idea about property prices. Absolutely no regrets though, i bought well under what i could afford and put all my effort into paying down my mortgage ASAP. Have paid my place off now. Theres a lot of talk about timing the market but at the end of the day no one knows what will happen.
Cheers, nat

I decided to take the plunge in 2007 - I bought my current PPOR at the top of the last property cycle, had just moved back to Brisbane and had no idea about property prices. Absolutely no regrets though, i bought well under what i could afford and put all my effort into paying down my mortgage ASAP. Have paid my place off now. Theres a lot of talk about timing the market but at the end of the day no one knows what will happen.
Cheers, nat

What is the capital gain on that property now? I'm in the process of researching to get my first ever property now too.

aiming for something that?s within an 8-10km range of the CBD. Moving past that range isn?t an option,
Why not?? What happens if you find something suitable that is 11-15kms out???

Sometimes you get lucky. This place in Brunswick failed at auction because the vendor didn't have the section 32 prepared in time. Its now under contract for $705,000. Had the vendor been organized, I think this place would have gone for a lot more $. (Perhaps up to $60,000 more). Look for situations like this one they do occur! Unfortunately I was too slow off the mark - it would have made a good IP. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-brunswick-116773287 Especially considering as this one close by sold for $822,000. (I'd say a developer bought) http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-brunswick-116777955

What is the capital gain on that property now? I'm in the process of researching to get my first ever property now too.

No CG. Bank value nov 2013 was same price i paid in 2007. As an investment choice it would have been a poor one. Thats why i joined this forum lol.
As a home, its excellent. Could i have done much better renting for another few years and saving? I doubt it. Im the sort of person who dislikes renting, so it was def the best way forward for me.
Cheers, nat

We?ve got a budget of ideally up to 650k (but approved for more), and aiming for something that?s within an 8-10km range of the CBD. Moving past that range isn?t an option, as we?d rather just move city or save up more.

Just out of interest, why 8-10km requirement is so strong? Is this part of a long term plan?

Reason I asked is, from personal experience, we bought our first PPOR without planning ahead. i.e. at the time, didn't have kids so our main requirement was, buy something cheap that has public transport to city (western suburbs fit the profile). After 5 years, things changed and it was not the suburb to raise kids. Then we moved to eastern suburbs. Obviously, we paid a lot more than if we had bought 5 years ago.

So, my point is, consider all the requirements/goals as things will change in the future and some of those requirements aren't that important.

I also think it's a good idea to get something very affordable. I did this and now have heaps of equity in just a few years on a crappy little apartment.
Apartments and townhouses are much more popular than they used to be. Now that houses have taken off again, the apartments are cheaper - so a good time to buy in.
Don't forget: there are plenty of others who are in the same boat - and that increases the demand later on when houses are unaffordable for nearly everyone.

Just out of interest, why 8-10km requirement is so strong? Is this part of a long term plan?

Reason I asked is, from personal experience, we bought our first PPOR without planning ahead. i.e. at the time, didn't have kids so our main requirement was, buy something cheap that has public transport to city (western suburbs fit the profile). After 5 years, things changed and it was not the suburb to raise kids. Then we moved to eastern suburbs. Obviously, we paid a lot more than if we had bought 5 years ago.

So, my point is, consider all the requirements/goals as things will change in the future and some of those requirements aren't that important.

Such great responses from everyone, thanks guys!

I'm the late stages of making a decision. Being cheap is a big draw, but I know this mean less CG in the long run compared to a house in the same area.

My main considerations were:

1) 8-10km from the CBD as it's easier for transport, close to friends/amenities etc. Past this point, I'd rather live in another city.

2) To live in as PPOR for 3-7 years and then convert to IP and rent out.

My biggest consideration is that in 10 years time, I strongly see moving to Canberra to be close to family (raising little ones).

If I were to convert the unit I'm considering purchasing to an IP what would be the best way of keeping the property + aiming to buy a second house later on?

Would setting up interest only with off-set account work best now, so I can claim deductions for the full loan amount when I move?
Or would paying down the mortgage on a 15 years term (extra repayments) and building equity be a more sensible approach.

I'd love to know how most people do it and hear some advice. I want to go in knowing confidently what I can do to move to a larger house later on and keep both properties. :)

Or build equity by riding the cycle ;)

PS: IO with Offset is a good plan for a PPoR that is to be become an IP

Cheers :)

I figure it's better to have the full loan amount to make tax deductions on the interest. That said, by taking all the money from the offset account and using it towards the next PPoR as a deposit it would land the property straight into being negatively geared.

Forgive the straight-forward question. But is it possible to get a second mortgage using an equity loan (second mortage on the IP)? Or is it better to just use the cash saved up as a deposit for the new purchase? :)

Back