To Depreciate --OR-- Not To Depreciate !!!

We have a 2 bedroom IP that we are claiming depreciation on for blinds, airconditioner, etc. The IP was built in 1998 and as such I don't think qualifies for depreciation of Capital Works, yet I've read from another famous property investor that you should be able to claim depreciation on the IP asset (ie, the 2 bedroom unit ... but not the land). Obviously, 2.5% can get us an additional $2.5K at tax time. Is this true ?

I think the depreciation (if allowed as above) also reduces the cost base for the purpose of Capital Gains Tax. Is this true ?

This an idea we toyed with for a while and they paid a reputable quantity surveyor to do a proper report - they found about $3k depreciation that I didn't think existed. Better left to the experts......you then send the report to the accountant and they take care of it. The reports are about $500.

It does affect CGT when you sell but I'm not sure how - if you are selling the one would assume you are making a lot of cash and a slight adjustment due to depreciation probably wouldn't matter a great deal.

I just googled 'Quantity Surveyors' and it came up with the main Australian firms, which I have used and been very happy with.

We have a 2 bedroom IP that we are claiming depreciation on for blinds, airconditioner, etc. The IP was built in 1998 and as such I don't think qualifies for depreciation of Capital Works, yet I've read from another famous property investor that you should be able to claim depreciation on the IP asset (ie, the 2 bedroom unit ... but not the land). Obviously, 2.5% can get us an additional $2.5K at tax time. Is this true ?

I think the depreciation (if allowed as above) also reduces the cost base for the purpose of Capital Gains Tax. Is this true ?

Funnily enough i wrote an article titled the same about 10 years ago!

Before web days so not on our website.

Anyway - -your property WILL qualify for the building allowance.

If you tell me the purchase price and location i can give you a ball park or contact us next week.

Regards

And you may as well depreciate, because I understand that even if you haven't claimed it in your tax return, when CGT is calculated, it will be added anyway!

Pushka is correct - it will be added to the cost base regardless of whether you have claimed it or not.

Cheers
LynnH

Hi all

I am happy to be corrected but i think the Building depreciation being 2.5% or 4% depending on which criteria from the ATO it fits comes off the cost base.

Fixtures and fittings etc don't.

Cheers
BC

Depreciation is always good, even if it decreases your cost base (and therefore increases CGT) when you sell. Why? Because:
1) You get a benefit of your marginal rate x depreciation now. When you sell, you only pay CGT at half your marginal rate of tax. You might also sell when you no longer work, and therefore have a very low tax rate.

2) You might sell in 20 years. So you get, say, $300 (from $1,000 depreciation) now back on tax, and have to pay $150 TWENTY years from now. That's assuming you pay the same rate of tax in 20 years. Time value of money says that you're MUCH better off.
Alex

Back