To expense or to Amortize?

Hi there,

Hope any of you have the answer to my question:

I have over $6k in document expenses (surveyor and Council fees) due to a subdivision. I'm doing my tax declaration and hence the question- Do I expense them in the fiscal year they were incurred or do I amortize them over a period of years? If the latest then, for how many years?

Thank you!

Could be a property developer and what constitutes trading stock changes. See Kurts developments case as to what is added to trading stock and what is expensed if thismis on revenue account

If he was a property developer, he would have already performed this activity several times and known the answer from those. So I assumed this was a once off.

Mry

Could be a first time development or a myer type situation 'profit from an isolated transaction'

If not of a commercial flavour, then it could be a profit making scheme for which it is on the capital account with respect to land development.

There is of course the spectre of being an enterprise for GST (this does not always align with income tax law), or dealing in new land.

Cheers,

Rob

Back