To my satisfaction condition

A friend put in an offer on a commercial property. One thing he was concerned about was the condition of the yard. It had sunk in a few spots and he has a special condition that it would be repaired "to his satisfaction". Long story short.... Vendor and he can't agree on repair costs. He has quotes close to $100k while vendor is only willing to drop $20k. 3 months later my friend wants out. My argument is that it is "to his satisfaction" which could be a massively over engineered yard that costs $250k if he chooses. Vendor's solicitor has advised they are not willing to let him out of the contract and he will forfeit the deposit of $160k if he doesn't go ahead. Surely he is in he position to dictate what is his satisfaction?

It looks like this, right?

The Y-man

Attachments

• guatsinkhole.jpg
    guatsinkhole.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 75
Surely he is in he position to dictate what is his satisfaction?

Your friend needs to understand the contra proferentem rule. If there is any ambiguity about what a undefined term like 'at my sole satisfaction/discretion' - the contract is interpreted against the person who will benefit from that clause. So your friend's clause doesn't mean that much, and is why I normally suggest staying away from unilateral discretion clauses even though they sound good on paper.

I would have thought that repairing a yard that had some sunken spots would be a matter of backfilling to the natural land level and thats all thats required?

I would have thought that repairing a yard that had some sunken spots would be a matter of backfilling to the natural land level and thats all thats required?

Unless it's sunken like the hole in Y-man's photo or a meteor hit it and left a crater.

Back