toastmasters

hi all

ive just been sent a contract for a new job, and its going to require some different skills. in particular i need to beef up my face to face communication skills with business types. someone recommended toastmasters to me the other night and it looks like what im after. has anyone been to this? would you recommend it? what goes on in a typical meeting?

for others interested their site is http://www.toastmasters.org.au/

cheers
pete

My husband is a member of Brisbane club and really enjoys the meetings. If you need to hone any type of communication - verbal presentations in particular - they sound like they really help. Speeches are critiqued but constructively not harshly. They often do table topics where you have 5 min to prepare a topic for your table to discuss and you can discuss your business life so its also good for networking.
The people I've met all seem friendly and welcoming which some tight groups arent always.
Find one thats convenient for you and check it out to see if you feel comfortable with them. My husband's club meets on a Thursday lunchtime for 1 hour.
cheers
Sharyn

I'm a member of a Toastmasters club in Miri. The initial programme is a series of 10 speeches starting with very simple objectives (get up and speak!) and then introducing new objectives and building on the different aspects of public speaking with each assignment. This leads to the Competent Toastmasters Award, if you want to continue beyond that you can then either participate in meetings without working towards anything in particular or there are a range of more advanced awards. I've only completed the first 3 assignments of the CTM programme so still have a long way to go!

A typical club meeting includes one or more assignment speakers, a table topics session which is an opportunity to practice impromptu speaking, humour session, etc. There are a large number of meeting roles, the idea is to give as many people as possible the chance to speak at the meeting, as well as to follow a structured format to give everyone experience at running a formal meeting. Running the club requires various leadership positions (president, VP membership, VP education, treasurer etc.) which is another way you could develop your skills.

I find the biggest advantage of the club is simply the opportunity to speak in a low-pressure/supportive environment. You have to practice speaking to improve at it.

It's normally recommended to try out all the clubs in your area, there's normally a variety of flavours :) Time, duration, membership, style. e.g. Some operate as lunch-time clubs, some do it in the evening or over dinner, some are breakfast clubs.

Good luck with it!

Hi, I joined the Rostrum club in September 2004. I don't know much about Toasmaster so I can't really give you a comparison. At my Rostrum club we normally speak for 5 minutes about a certain topic (there's a "programmer" who decides on the topic for the coming weeks), and then there's a critic who will evaluate each speech and point out how it can improve.

The program varies between speeches, debate, meeting procedures, impromptu, etc. It is quite flexible and if a member needs to do a presentation for his/her work, he/she can practice it in front of the club members and receive some pointers / critique.

The club normally meets at night, around 6:30 - 7:45 - this depends on each individual club.

All in all, whether it is Toastmaster or whatever speaking club you decide to join, it will surely give you a good practice in your speaking skills. As they say, you gotta take action.

pete_w,

Last night was the 4th night for me of an 8 week Speechcrafters course run by Toastmasters.

Speechcrafters is a pre course to Toastmasters. (Toastmasters, please correct me if I'm wrong on that.)

Costs about $75.00 (Handbook etc) and in our groups case runs once a week X 8 weeks, 2 hr sessions.

The 3 - 5 volunteers who run it are excellent.

Our group is made up of 10 beginners (we also happened to be virtual strangers to each other) who after only 4 weeks have bonded well.
A very supportive environment.

After 4 lessons the improvements amongst our group are really noticeable.

Umms, aahhs, eerrs, are now few and far between.

I have made excuses to myself why I don't need to go at times etc :)
But that is partly the reason I'm there, conquering a fear of speaking to strangers in a group situation.

You learn so much more by not only having to speak but by listening and watching others.

After 4 lessons, and having another 4 to go, I would thoroughly recommend the Speechcrafters "Success Communication Series"

A86

This is one of those things that has been in the back of my mind for a few years now. I think I'll sign up soon enough. Thanks for the reminder.

The one thing I have noted with top executives is almost always they are good presenters. "Looking good", "Confident" "Presenting Well" overall "Good Communicators" seem to be prime requirements. Actually having a clue seems to be optional :D

always_learning said:
The one thing I have noted with top executives is almost always they are good presenters. "Looking good", "Confident" "Presenting Well" overall "Good Communicators" seem to be prime requirements. Actually having a clue seems to be optional :D

That's what advisors and junior executives are for :)

The top guy has to be able to look good in front of the shareholders.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I, along with hubby, did Toastmasters just over nine yrs ago now, and got a lot out of it. It really aids with public speaking, organising your ideas into clearly spoken sentences, and can also be a useful way to meet others and form business links etc. I am, however, still working on my pauses in general conversation (I tend to find silences awkward!) and thinking about what I actually want to say before I open my mouth (not always easy!).
The first few speeches can be a little daunting, but everyone is very supportive and critical in a constructive way. Definitely recommend it!

Back