Today's new wealth tax

Last edited:
A lot of wealthy people I know don't pay tax at all or very little and have "taxable" incomes less than that and look to be exempt from this....but then again they have already donated far more than this new tax will try and pull from them....

Is that a combined income of $100K?

Agree with Former Lurker too - great points.

We're expected to budget & pay our taxes & insurance & superannuation etc. Why shouldn't we have the same expectations of a govt? They should be putting away for a rainy day too.

Any since when was a tax introduced for a particular supposedly short-term purpose (ie flood levy) ever taken away again by govt after it's served its purpose? I can't think of any & I don't believe this tax/levy/handout to the govt will be any different.

Here in South Australia we are still paying a 'once off' Save the River Murray levy, brought in six or seven years ago to help the Murray and surrounds whilst in drought.

So next year I will be paying a drought levy, and a flood levy.

sad

and this too will pass ...................

I hear they are looking at raisng just over a bill...........and that will pay for what % of whats needed..........seems hardly worth the media mess they will get

WA will want to secede again :)

ta
rolf

I have no issues in paying to help re-built QLD. But it still quite disturbing that the Government (esp Labour) just like to keep increasing the taxes for anyone on high income be it individual or company (RSPT).

You just never know when and by how much rules will be changed in future that will financially impact ppl who have really worked hard and made sacrifices to be in a financially well off position. I am sure they didn't work so hard and make sacrifices to cover up for government inefficiencies/bad planning.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Without getting into the ins and outs of this too much, it's hardly an original idea, or a Labor one. See: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/gillard-has-time-to-levy-and-recover-20110123-1a16v.html.
Sure, the Timor levy was not, in the end, required, but our previous - conservative - government was prepared to introduce it.
The other levies, such as the milk tax and the Ansett levy, are also worth thinking about too. It's hardly an unusual practice in this country to slug taxpayers for a particular cost for a particular period of time.
[puts head back down :p]

sad

and this too will pass ...................

I hear they are looking at raisng just over a bill...........and that will pay for what % of whats needed..........seems hardly worth the media mess they will get

WA will want to secede again :)

ta
rolf

and people wonder why Barnett plays hardball with Canberra.

The RSPT is dead in the water, let's claw it back from Joe and Jane Average.

the natural disaster australia had to have, huh?

Yeah, can I deduct what we've already donated & put that towards my part of the new tax?
Donations are to help people, the tax is for the government.

The article is a bit misleading, only income above the threshold is taxed.
See ATO for full details.

But anyway, damn Labor and their Gun Buy Back Levies, Milk Deregulation Levies, Ansett Levies, Sugar Levies, PPL Levies. All Labor's fault, right?

Back