Toyota (Altona) to close in 2017

I guess it was on the cards, heard on news tonight that Toyota will also be closing in 2017, will effect 2000 jobs, however it will be much, as other companies involved in this industry will certainly be effected, ie car component companies etc.

That's the end of car manufacturing in Australia. Competition and the high Aus$ helped put the nail in the coffin. It was also mentioned that for manufacturing to be profitable the Aus$ needed to be around 75-80.

How is this going to effect Melb/Australia for that matter???

It's all going to be rather sad if by 2017 the rate is 75c or less, a rate at which production would have been viable. Against the pound (of interest to me since my micro software business sells back to the UK) the AUD has lost 28% in ten months, so 14% over three years is far from impossible.

On a bright side, we may see better and cheaper cars here as a result - we have now cleared the hurdle that we no longer have to protect this so called car industry here (other hurdle being not able to do parallel import here in OZ).

On a bright side, we may see better and cheaper cars here as a result - we have now cleared the hurdle that we no longer have to protect this so called car industry here (other hurdle being not able to do parallel import here in OZ).

less range = less competition, will open the door for even more price gouging. expect to pay more for cars that don't even suit our conditions

yes but they dumped it into the market at very very low prices - the value for money for a family that picks up a 2 year old falcon is incredible, but soon to be a thing of the past

This doesn't sound good. Is this comparable to when the QLD government sacked tens of thousands of public workers a few years ago? That had a massive impact on the economy and the housing market.

I guess the main difference here is that it's happening slowly rather than all at once.

Unions kill toyota

Wonder why we cant compete with other countries...here it is...

Have a look at the list of reductions Toyota wanted but the workers (UNION) kicked back on. Great if you can get it...does them no good now though does it....

November 11, 2013: Toyota Executive Director Chris Harrod, wrote to employees detailing ?the need to bring forward part of our 2015 Workplace Agreement negotiations? and remove ?outdated and uncompetitive terms and conditions? from the Agreement. A laundry list of 27 proposed variations was proposed for negotiation. These were:

(i) reduction in the minimum Christmas shutdown period from 21 days to 8 days (ie from 25 December to 1 January);

(ii) reduction in the minimum notice period from 2 months to 1 month where Toyota needs to change a ?rostered day off? to a ?programmed day off? or vice versa;

(iii) instead of employees being required to be available to work a maximum of 20 hours overtime each month, employees must be available to work a minimum of 20 hours overtime each month;

(iv) reduction in paid training days for elected union representatives from 10 days per year (which can be pooled so that extra days can be taken by individuals if necessary) to 5 days in the first year of being an elected representative and 2 days per year thereafter (with no pooling allowed);

(v) removal of a 4 hour paid leave allowance to donate blood;

(vi) inclusion of a requirement for a medical certificate to be provided for each day of paid sick leave taken instead of employees having 5 days of paid sick leave without providing a medical certificate; and the inclusion of a requirement that employees notify their supervisor of an absence at least half an hour prior to the commencement of their shift instead of employees being required to notify management of their absence within the first hour after the commencement of their shift;

(vii) removal of a requirement for Toyota to hire 8 trade apprentices each year;

(viii) where an employee is required to move between areas of the Plant on the same shift, the current process for selection will remain but where agreement cannot be reached there will be no resort to the problem resolution procedure (ie issuing of a grievance) specified in the Agreement;

(ix) simplification of the counselling and disciplinary process to reduce the number of steps required to be taken by management while extending the time periods for employees to take corrective action;

(x) reduction in the number of steps to be taken as part of the problem resolution procedure, narrowing the definitions of ?problem? and ?grievance? and attempting to resolve problems within 24 hours of a problem being raised;

(xi) reduction in wash up time for particular employees with corresponding extension in rest period to standardise work practices across the Plant;

(xii) last shift prior to Christmas shutdown to be extended from a 5 hour shift to a full 8 hour shift;

(xiii) changes to shift pattern for ?trades employees? including a new requirement for all trades employees to work on weekends, reduction in overtime rates on weekends, restrictions on taking ?programmed days off? and a reduction in paid training hours;

(xiv) increased term for temporary fixed term contracts, increased scope for Toyota to retain temporary fixed term contractors and a reduction in the rate of pay for such contractors;

(xv) removal of a confined space allowance currently paid to employees working in confined spaces or in stooped or cramped positions;

(xvi) removal of a first-aid allowance currently paid to trained first-aid officers;

(xvii) removal of a respiratory allowance currently paid to paint shop employees who wear air fed respiratory equipment;

(xviii) removal of a dirt money allowance currently paid to employees who perform work that is unusually dirty or offensive;

(xix) removal of an electrical licensing allowance currently paid to licensed electrical workers;

(xx) no new competency skill payments to be paid to technical, engineering, clerical employees or supervisors;

(xxi) no new qualification payments to be paid to technical, engineering, clerical employees or supervisors;

(xxii) removal of payments currently made to employees who need to travel for work outside of ordinary work hours;

(xxiii) reduction in Sunday overtime rate of pay from double time and a half to double time;

(xxiv) reduction in overtime rates of pay for technical, clerical, engineering employees and supervisors;

(xxv) removal of annual leave loading (or shift premium, where applicable) paid to employees;

(xxvi) removal of a $700 annual reimbursement payment for employees who obtain income protection insurance;

(xxvii) removal of shift premiums paid to employees taking long service leave;

(xxviii) removal of a meal allowance paid to employees required to work overtime for more than two hours without being notified on the previous day or earlier; and

(xxix) removal of a requirement that where employees do not have a 30 minute unpaid meal break within six hours of the time they attend for work, employees working beyond six hours be paid time and a half until they receive a meal break.

http://quadrant.org.au/opinion/qed/2014/02/toyotas-terminal-timeline/

Have a look at the list of reductions Toyota wanted but the workers (UNION) kicked back on. Great if you can get it...does them no good now though does it....

But whats the base hourly rate?

That list is "Toyota's Demands" as part of the negotiation process and so has been purposely bloated, a lot of them condition's would have very little value attached to them.

Low paid workers in these industries have always been paid a low hourly rate + allowances, those conditions would likely have been traded over the years against higher wage rises.

In any event, it's no different to the rest of us. I'm sure all our jobs could be done cheaper by someone overseas.

The Management at Toyota disagree with you,

Toyota Australia has never blamed the union for its decision to close its manufacturing operations by the end of 2017, neither publicly or in private discussions with any stakeholders,? the company said in a statement.

?As stated at the time of the announcement, there is no single reason that led to this decision.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ers-closure-20140212-32h1u.html#ixzz2t6tovms2

But whats the base hourly rate?

That list is "Toyota's Demands" as part of the negotiation process and so has been purposely bloated, a lot of them condition's would have very little value attached to them.

Low paid workers in these industries have always been paid a low hourly rate + allowances, those conditions would likely have been traded over the years against higher wage rises.

In any event, it's no different to the rest of us. I'm sure all our jobs could be done cheaper by someone overseas.

These are conditions that the staff CURRENTLY get. If they are so "valueless" why would Toyota want to scale them back or get rid of them???

The unionised workers in the auto industries are paid on average 30-40% more than related manufacturing industries...

I'm sure all our jobs could be done cheaper HERE by Australians in non-unionised workforces...Look at the benefits these clowns get... I wonder Toyota waited this long before axing this operation IMHO...

The Management at Toyota disagree with you,

Toyota Australia has never blamed the union for its decision to close its manufacturing operations by the end of 2017, neither publicly or in private discussions with any stakeholders,? the company said in a statement.

?As stated at the time of the announcement, there is no single reason that led to this decision.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ers-closure-20140212-32h1u.html#ixzz2t6tovms2

They are being diplomatic, they want to sell cars here in the future. They are leaving. They don't really care to tell the truth, what is the upside for them??

Gone is gone. I agree there is no single reason, but the level and conditions paid to staff have to be relevant. If wage levels and staff flexibility were more aligned to standard manufacturing industries it may have been different.

They are being diplomatic, they want to sell cars here in the future. They are leaving. They don't really care to tell the truth, what is the upside for them??

It is only your opinion that they are being diplomatic and that there is no upside in Toyota telling the truth, this suits your bias.

Gone is gone. I agree there is no single reason, but the level and conditions paid to staff have to be relevant. If wage levels and staff flexibility were more aligned to standard manufacturing industries it may have been different.

Yes there is no single reason for Toyota leaving but you sheeted it home that unions were the single reason for leaving with the following

http://quadrant.org.au/opinion/qed/2...inal-timeline/

Why would you not list all the reasons if you truly believe so, rather than heading your post

Unions kill Toyota

:D
Yes there is no single reason for Toyota leaving but you sheeted it home that unions were the single reason for leaving with the following

http://quadrant.org.au/opinion/qed/2...inal-timeline/

I didn't sheet anything home. Facts are facts.

Are you saying we can compete with other countries when we pay ridiculously high wages and untenable conditions which then makes us uncompetitive on a global scale? How do you see this happening? If it is so easy to do maybe e should roll out these conditions across the board...

Hell, even better, why even bother working, lets all just roll up and get paid to do nothing...why even bother turning up (I will just use my 5 days sick leave with no doctors certificate like my Toyota buddies) :D

Geez Trippy

Check out your heading

Unions kill Toyota

Are you saying we can compete with other countries when we pay ridiculously high wages and untenable conditions which then makes us uncompetitive on a global scale? How do you see this happening? If it is so easy to do maybe e should roll out these conditions across the board...

Hell, even better, why even bother working, lets all just roll up and get paid to do nothing...why even bother turning up (I will just use my 5 days sick leave with no doctors certificate like my Toyota buddies) :D

We can't compete with other counties for a combination of reasons which you have ignored.

High wages and liberal conditions being just one, other such as exchange rate,
small market, transport costs due to distance, small production runs, minimal protection against imports, infrastructure costs to name some reasons.

We can't compete with other counties for a combination of reasons which you have ignored.

High wages and liberal conditions being just one, other such as exchange rate,
small market, transport costs due to distance, small production runs, minimal protection against imports, infrastructure costs to name some reasons.

If an industry can't survive without regular government handouts, it's not an industry, it's a welfare recipient.

Are you saying we can compete with other countries when we pay ridiculously high wages and untenable conditions which then makes us uncompetitive on a global scale? How do you see this happening? If it is so easy to do maybe e should roll out these conditions across the board.

Umm Toyota Thailand workers get 300 Baht an 8 hour day. That would equate to $50 a week here. Can't compete with that especially with our Free Trade Agreement with Thailand.
Perhaps they could have continued as a work for the dole scheme.

Negative gearing?

So all property investors who use negative gearing are welfare recipients?

A welfare recipient is a person who receives financial assistance from their government in order to ensure their welfare. Some property investors could survive financially without the negative gearing tax deduction offset, many I presume could not. So to the ones that could not financially survive without claimed the tax loss...yes they are welfare recipients...at the cost of the rest of us that can afford to live our own lives while subsidising the plebs on welfare...:(

I've been bangin on about exactly this for ages here..

The Unions and the Comrades score another win for the Brothers, and grin to themselves, hi-fives all round, belly chuckle at another gouge to the Employer. etc...

Not much to crow about with a win if the Employer takes his bat and ball and goes home.

It is happening in small business in waves, currently.

Has anyone here who employs staff sat down and actually worked out the entire cost of their staff over 1 year - including everything?

It will surprise you.

I'll give you a clue - think; 50% more than their wage as a ball-park....that's 10 staff actually costing 15 staff.

This could be worse if the Employer has more than 25 staff (Payroll Tax).

No biggie - just build it into the cost of the goods and services.

Someone here was whinging about the cost of their Lattes over in Perth...

Back