Trade Secrets of a Tycoon.

I find Marcus Padley column is always worth a read, this weeks is no exception.... Trade secrets of a tycoon. It comes with the warning Do not try this at home.

Think beyond the square. Set an unachievable goal........

Starting with nothing is good. Who is the better competitor - someone fat and comfortable, or....

Debt is king. You'll never make big money without it..........

Patience is not a virtue; it's a waste of bloody time..........

There is no such thing as intelligence. What we mistake for smart or intelligent is actually just the expression of hard work and preparation.......

You cannot do everything yourself. Lucky then that the most valuable and available capital in the whole world is human capital, employees. The willingness of highly capable and educated people to work for a certain rather than variable sum is the most exploitable, available and cheap investment you will ever make.....

We cannot employ the unchallenged. Twenty-five-year olds are not supposed to be sitting in their parents' homes eating takeaway pizza. The longer they stay on the financial umbilical cord the weaker they get. Feed the ducks and they will never learn to feed themselves.......

I find Marcus Padley column is always worth a read, this weeks is no exception.... Trade secrets of a tycoon. It comes with the warning Do not try this at home.

I enjoy his column, but find he flip-flops.

A few weeks back at the lows of the market he was basically writing that ppl should get out and not buy in. Two weeks later he wrote another article where the tone changed a lot!

Same as his late 2007/early 2008 articles.

Typical broker.

Changing the subject a little, this morning on ABC radio Marcus said "it's now riskier to be bearish than it is to be bullish".

Not sure how serious he was??

Actually that's one thing I like about him - he has a sense of balance & can see the upside & the downside in most things.

And his sense of humour appeals to me.

He does have his sense of humour.

The one about his mate on his (first) wedding day in the convertible was gold!

How could the index get to 4400 without the banks being strong ? Aren't they something like 20% of the index ?

i'm not talking about a rally tomorrow to 4400.

i'm short banks AT THE MOMENT and expect the XAO to rally to 4400 in the medium term - should have clarified.

it's risky to be bearish because of the latest whipsaw- it could prove to be a small bull run in a bear market - it's met all the criteria for a start.

I have no idea where the market will go in to short term. I think its dangerous to try to predict this unless you are an expert trader.

However i do believe in the gravitational reversion to the mean of asset classes. Therefore given the severe pull back from 2007, i am VERY confident that over the next 10 years a broad portfolio of sound companies, or for those that doent have the time to research individual shares, an investment into an share index fund will achieve very satisfactory returns when purchased at around current levels. There is a good chance that in 10 years time when you look back shares will have been the top performing asset class.

Hey Keith, just caught up with a few more articles from Marcus PADLEY

here's a couple of interest for the forum

Agony Aunt

I got an email this week. I ask for Stupid Questions in my newsletter and I get them. "I have $10,000 and want to turn it into a million dollars. How do I do it?"

You're thinking "How Stupid" but it's actually a really good question. So let's try and answer it.

Biggest and fastest rises in history:

Fortescue Metals. Turned $10,000 into $73,166,166 between September 1990 and June 2008. 17.8 years. This is the biggest single return of any stock over any period in the All Ords.
UXC Limited. The fastest of all. Turned $10,000 into $6,000,000 between June 1998 and March 2000 in the Tech boom (it was called Davnet at the time). 1.8 years.

Paladin. Turned $10,000 into $13,500,000 between April 2003 and April 2007. 4.0 years. Third biggest return and the third fastest.

Other stocks have done remarkable things with $10,000 include News Corp. which turned it into $26,692,393 in 25.4 years. BHP into $2,543,468 in 42.2 years. QBE $12,165,775 in 32.7 years. Others that have achieved it include ANZ, RIO, Woodside, Origin, Santos, Leighton Holdings. Coca-Cola Amatil, Lend Lease. The list goes on

Systematic Trading Systems

A good trading system will leave a trader with absolutely nothing to think about once they have entered a stock (a trade). Marcus Padley explains systematic trading systems.

There have been some nasty posts on the forum re: the worth of having Banks in your portfolio, but here's a nice example

350-marcus-padley-commbank.jpg

But then you have to ask, why didn't all of us pick it? Why didn't we all buy it at 2403c on its way to 4847c plus 228c in dividends along the way (112% total return).

The answer of course is that none of us believed the earnings or dividend forecasts at the time, and there's the rub for "investors".

Brain required

The time to "invest" is not all the time, it's when the market is going up. Marcus Padley explains that there is no free lunch by just investing without brains

Wow, let's all buy equities and hold on forever. How simple the investment game is. Invest for the long term. No brains required. Fantastic.

Except for one little problem.

Tempting as it is to plough all our money into equities forever and remove brains, there is a question someone has to answer. If $1 compounded at the average return of 9.5% for 72 years turns into $688, then why has $1 invested in the All Ords on June 30th 1937 actually only turned into $51.39.

What! It's supposed to be worth $688. $51.39 is only one thirteenth of $688. Are you telling me that the average return isn't 9.5% pa after all?

Well yes. Work it back and the actual compound return the All Ords index has delivered since 1937 is just 5.62% and at that rate you don't double your money ever 6 years and triple it every nine, you double it every 13 years and triple it every 20.

And there's more.

The All Ords index is a fudge. It is not reality. It performs better than reality because it constantly replaces all the bad stocks with good stocks. The All Ords index is like running a residential property price index using only the houses in Toorak and Brighton (Editor insert top Perth suburbs instead) and if any of them fall in value you chuck 'em out and put in a better one. On that basis, to keep up with the All Ords you would have to do what it does, constantly prune and replace. Bit boring. Might have to use brain after all.

Food for thought and worth the read

i'm sorry guys but this guy is a major d**ck in my opinion.
If you are a trader he has some good insights, but if you are an investor he is a serious wealth hazard.
He sounds good, he is slick, he makes sense with an article, but then so do many journalists.

I receive his information as one of several sources that i get through my grapevine on either a daily or weekly basis.

As an investor i can guarantee you i wouldnt have made the returns ive made if i had listened to him through the last 18 months (and yes ive received his information over the last 18 months).

and as to be above post re CBA yes i did buy i was a heavy buyer between $25-$30.

Why? because i took the time as an investor to look through the panic.

At this point in time Marcus was saying sell sell sell

Last edited:
just another incompetent book writer making idiotic statements to get people to discuss and buy his book.

"* Debt is king. You'll never make big money without it. Do not be afraid of debt. Liabilities drive you to the most herculean of efforts."
Please tel me who went bankrupt but owed nobody money?
and
How many went bankrupt because they owed too much money?

But of course he's an expert cause he wrote a book.
And soon will be doing seminars telling all & sundry how to get rich by not doing what he's doing for income. :rolleyes:
He likes to mention a company's track record, but where can we find his track record?

There's plenty of his useless babble all over the abc lateline site.

---
oh look i found some of his record:

Marcus Padley
June 16, 2007
"As of next Friday they are going to close the sharemarket for 10 years. You have a week to get set. What are you going to buy? Here's my guess.
Resources — BHP, Rio, Fortescue, Gindalbie Metals, Woodside "

"BHP and Rio? Gone (if they haven't already gone). At huge premiums that imply a $300 price for Fortescue. But Andrew Forrest will have delivered Fortescue to the Chinese already, for $150. It will be another MIM, sold too cheap."

"Leighton Holdings is one of the few companies with the scale to operate in Asia — will flourish. Downer EDI and United Group are others."

"Investment banks? Presumably Macquarie Bank and Babcock & Brown will also one day find the commercial confidence to boldly rather than tentatively step into Asia."

"Let's have a few Worley Parsons and some of those Boart Longyear."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/busin...r-10-years-time/2007/06/15/1181414546482.html

He's a fkn genius this guy!
Leverage up BIG, buy those stocks and close the ASX for 10 years!!!!!!!

_axjo

I must apologize for referring to him as an incompetent idiot as I obviously way overstated his capabilities.
shame!, shame! shame!

This is what the media tells us is an "expert", where anybody following his advice would've been bankrupt.
But like media knows the average sucker has a short memory and research.

Last edited:
Brokers churn stocks don't they ;)

Anyhow, some write a good yarn and I'm partial to those :D

How has Gindalbie gone since this post?

How about BHP, Rio, Fortescue, Woodside ?

Brokers churn stocks don't they ;)

Anyhow, some write a good yarn and I'm partial to those :D

How has Gindalbie gone since this post?

How about BHP, Rio, Fortescue, Woodside ?

how about his 'model portfolios'.

They disapeared in 2011 after loosing money.

The first one is back in 2012: The income portfolio.

The guy is like any good broker, he is looking for a 'mechanism' to make easy money, gravitates between trading methods, to intrinsic value.

The problem is, in this market one needs conviction.. You get that conviction by doing your own homework, not by piggiebacking on some major historical school of thought. Without conviction, market volatility sees one constantly running to the exit (usually after a loss).

Back