traditional garden to go

Hello, :)

There must be some gardeners out there?

Would like some advice on whether a formal style garden is suitable for a rental property.

Also, do I need to ask council if I want to move trees around e.g. camelias, lemon tree and mini-pines? (Franskton)

Do I need to ask council before I chop down large invasive species around fence?

Any suggestions or picutres of nice gardens in Melbourne / Mornington Peninsula would be appreciated (Dame Elisabeth Murdoch-esque).

Last edited:
I would ensure the garden is as easy to maintain as possible - especially if it's a demographic of non gardeners.

The higher end the property the fancier the garden can be but still not too complex - no topiaries, annuals, grass that needs Mr Miyagi to cut with nail scissors.

I like:
Perenniels - preferably drought tolerant ones. I like daisies for flowers that are easy to grow and provide colour
Roses - I find are actually very easy to look after and handle neglect quite well. We've been known to chainsaw prune :)
Shrubs for some height or screening a fence - pittosperum is a good natural hedge
Flowering Prunus trees - nice size, pretty foliage in autumn and blossom in spring

Intense gardens are great for a ppor but unless the property comes with a garden maintenance contract, forget about it.

Moving of fruit trees and removal of trees under 3-4 m tall is generally ok.

Need to check with council about noxious plants as they will have a liat of plants to be removed without consent

Thanks for those pointers and suggestions guys and gals,
yes, it's a very over-grown garden - and who has the time these days?

Westminster, love the suggestions. I've found roses to be extremely hardy, too. They flourish out here in Parkes! Will look up the tree you recommend.

.... oh yeah I love these trees and I bet they grow well around Melbourne.

Attachments

• cherry blossom.jpg
    cherry blossom.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 121
  • double pink flowering plum.jpg
    double pink flowering plum.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 108
  • flowering prunus.jpg
    flowering prunus.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
ive put a crepe myrtle "natchez" in my IP and even though its young it should be flowering this year for the first time. the white flowers will stand well as a feature tree.

wattle. what kind of other trees you looking at?
nick.

not a tree but a shrub - hibiscus, which I've found to be very hardy and beautiful - I wonder how it would do in Melbourne? But it may be getting a bit too far south and not quite the right look for the area.

There are plenty of crepe myrtles around here - much loved in the area. I have two in the front garden - kind of a pink-mauve. White would be a good look.

I never liked pines before but really like them when they're planted en-masse in a straight line - pencil pines at the front fence? Would they be too high? The front yard faces west so need something strong there. May be a good place for the plum/apple/cherry blossoms and some white roses up the driveway facing north.

have you considered deciduous shrubs/dwarf trees? what way is the house facing?

crepe mrytles are an amazing tree. im pretty sure they have dwarf varieties of them, maybe "tanto" variety.

front yard faces west and there is a lot of area where I can utilise the north. Being a tree I suppose it would grow well with lots of sun and exposure.
What is it that you like so much about crepe myrtle?

OK just had a look at some on-line and see the dwarfs too. They do look nice. Would they be happy facing west?

Hi Wattlido

Does your IP have a vegetation overlay? If not remove shrubs / trees / gardens as you please. If it does - it will usually tell you which species of plans you can can't remove or prune in some instances.

The gardener in me would love to see my Ips with lovely gardens. However, there is no guarantee your tenant will look after the gardens. Yes you can hire a gardener to weed and trim and prune but you can't guarantee your tenants will water the plants, especially if newly planted.

If you are down the Mornington way check out Heronswood Homestead at Dromana. The old house I believe is open 2 days a year but the gardens and caf? are open almost all year round. That may be worth a look for some inspiration.

The thing I love about them is the flower! The bark on them is so different! It sheds itself so many people love them the twining of the bark aswell I don't know many trees that do that

My crepe myrtle is facing nw and it's fine

I really like the ornamental pear variety 'capital' - has lovely big green glossy leaves, white blossoms in spring. The capital pear is tall, but quite narrow so can put close the boundary and underplant.

I like Photinia for a hedge - adds some red to the garden.

One of my IPs used to be owned by a great gardener and consequently I have some fantastic camelias espaliered along the side boundary fence - they are amazing. This place also has a beautiful magnolia as a feature.

Wow! These are great suggestions!

Attachments

• daisies.jpg
    daisies.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 78
  • white crape myrtle.jpg
    white crape myrtle.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 383
  • 780-Espalier-Camellia.jpg
    780-Espalier-Camellia.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 232
  • camelia espaliered.jpg