Tree change - Try Before You Buy

The hobby farm/second home market has tanked just as, after 50 years ownership, the family decides to sell. So it makes sense to defer that idea pending the return of better times.

Meanwhile troubled economic times are motivating some to alight the career rate race and do the tree change thing. Wise tree changers should appreciate the opportunity to lease before buying to see if the reality of the “simpler life” matches the dream.

I would like to tap into that community to see if anyone is interested. Does anyone know how to access that market through the net? I am plodding through recent editions of “Earth Garden” and “Grass (not that sort) Roots” but forum readers might have other suggestions.

Pft, beats me. I just found my treechange house on the usual internet realestate listings. And it was way cheaper to buy than rent.

Going or coming

Rumpled Elf,

But you were coming, I'm going... hence the interest in leasing in a (somewhat) tighter rental market on the outskirts of Sydney.

Which is coming or going? I moved fairly recently from inner Adelaide to the bush, quit work and became a good little desert hermit. And there's not much to rent out this way either, there was heaps for sale until that stupid 30% downpayment FHOG grant came out. Someone needs to get off their butt and market this town as a retreat or it'll just disappear.

tree change.

there are books, there are articles in api, there have been shows on today tonight and a current affair.

some love it and some found it cost more than they imagined

so they say make sure you have enough money as it will cost more than you think

if its a farm or business there it can be more work than anticipated

some end up going back so yes it is advised to
have alot of money saved
investigate well and try it out first
dont remember what else was mentioned but there have been very throurough shows or articles about this in magazines and on tv

good luck

francine.

If you choose to get a farm, even a hobby one, I suggest you take some form of course. There are many things to be learnt and it can be a lot of hard work.

Which is coming or going? I moved fairly recently from inner Adelaide to the bush, quit work and became a good little desert hermit. And there's not much to rent out this way either, there was heaps for sale until that stupid 30% downpayment FHOG grant came out. Someone needs to get off their butt and market this town as a retreat or it'll just disappear.

looking at doing the same although I did come from blackall when I was a kid so prob why I want to go back no pesky nieghbours and cars driving past lol

Actually this new FHOG is seriously making us think of selling before July and move somewhere a little more civilised, but we're in a dilemna. I think the IP we have in a bigger, gorgeous country town is too small for us (we'd be downgrading to a 3x1 with 1 living area and no shed from a 4x1 with two living areas and a shed the size of the IP) but there's not a lot of options. We'd be so much better off with a paid-off IP and renting, but there's nothing to rent and houses outside of my town are phenomenally expensive. For me to downgrade to a smaller, renovated 2x1 I'd need to move to a house two or three times more expensive than mine, which is hard to do when you're stuck in lo-doc 60% land. For a 4 bedroom house I'd need $300-500k and that isn't going to happen.

That's the problem with treechanging - once you downgrade, once the savings are gone, unless you have a solid income, it is very hard to get *out*.

Actually this new FHOG is seriously making us think of selling before July and move somewhere a little more civilised, but we're in a dilemna. I think the IP we have in a bigger, gorgeous country town is too small for us (we'd be downgrading to a 3x1 with 1 living area and no shed from a 4x1 with two living areas and a shed the size of the IP) but there's not a lot of options. We'd be so much better off with a paid-off IP and renting, but there's nothing to rent and houses outside of my town are phenomenally expensive. For me to downgrade to a smaller, renovated 2x1 I'd need to move to a house two or three times more expensive than mine, which is hard to do when you're stuck in lo-doc 60% land. For a 4 bedroom house I'd need $300-500k and that isn't going to happen.

That's the problem with treechanging - once you downgrade, once the savings are gone, unless you have a solid income, it is very hard to get *out*.

hmm why only 60% lend I got my first home loan at 80% lend and on centrelink incomes through the CBA :confused:

Tanking: real or imagined

Has the hobby farm / lifestyle property market tanked?

I'm talking about the market near Sydney where the property is bigger than your traditional weekender while hobby farm in size. The weekender market (being discretionary) is certainly in trouble with many properties on the market for a long time.

hmm why only 60% lend I got my first home loan at 80% lend and on centrelink incomes through the CBA :confused:
We're self employed, had a long break from work (babies tend to do that) so the BAS statements are rather patchy and a lot of our money comes from overseas so that doesn't help our case. We'll be fine after a year of consistent decent statements, but not now.

I just need to convince the other half to *not* be a sardine and wait for somewhere bigger to come up.

I'm talking about the market near Sydney where the property is bigger than your traditional weekender while hobby farm in size. The weekender market (being discretionary) is certainly in trouble with many properties on the market for a long time.

The hobby farm / lifestyle block is probably different in my area.
It's not discressionary. Most owners are wealthy miners who buy as a PPOR, or retired wealthy city people who also buy as PPOR.
However a few of the retired city tree changers have had to go back to work as they had most income from shares.:eek:

See ya's.

Listohan:
I would like to tap into that community to see if anyone is interested. Does anyone know how to access that market through the net? I am plodding through recent editions of “Earth Garden” and “Grass (not that sort) Roots” but forum readers might have other suggestions.

But wouldn't it be bigger volume of population by offering up on "ordinary" mainstream, big volume traffic real estate sites, eg realestate.com take mohammed to the mountain?

It's selling point (or renting?) would need to be highlighted/emphasised, get the photography thing going, write up the tree change benefits and enjoyments.. it is possible you catch the eye and thoughts of someone just looking for a place, not necessarily treechange but kickstart the wonder and I am so ready for this! neurons.

What if they are from treechange places, kind of had to do the city thing, but now looking to wind down, got family, looking for space etc...

If you find and just target a very small site on internet that are already tree changers, perhaps you are preaching to the converted kind of thing? savvy?

There may well be tree change sites out there but my hunch is go with mainstream and highlight what you can offer, not just another 40 x 50 box in city...good photos, write it up well, you've already won me over!

Unless I have understood you wrong? :) Worth a thought?

Limitations of mega sites

Listohan:
If you find and just target a very small site on internet that are already tree changers, perhaps you are preaching to the converted kind of thing? savvy?

There may well be tree change sites out there but my hunch is go with mainstream and highlight what you can offer, not just another 40 x 50 box in city...good photos, write it up well, you've already won me over!

Unless I have understood you wrong? :) Worth a thought?
The problem is that in normal times, properties like this are sold not leased. But since times are not normal, a different approach is indicated.

Searching the mega sites (even when you know what you are looking for is there) does not tend to disclose a market for what I have in mind. What makes it trickier is that the expected volume of properties on the mega sites encourages people to search the regions they know rather than those that might suit.

Hence my question about looking for a community (e.g., people researching poultry) which might contain people looking for a different piece in the jigsaw. But is is Plan B.

Maybe familiarise with some rural/farming type publications/sites:

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/property/index.html

Takes you to the Weekly Times, has quite an extensive real estate market, we get the paper WT's don't usually bother with it's internet site. Each change of season it puts out a property booklet, color featured properties for sale or lease, goes in the middle pages of the actual paper, Weekly Times. Also it has another hobby farming booklet it puts out, same way, every so often, targetting hobby farmers specifically.

Then there is the more serious farming publications, like Stock and Land, and The Land, it is kind of the heavy duty farm type paper, not sure of extent of coverage it would give to hobby farm, tree change type property, perhaps worth a read:

http://www.farmonline.com.au/

I still haven't given up on the real estate site, you know there is a rural section?

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=s&cu=&s=nsw&ag=&t=rur&snf=rbs&tb=&u=&is=1&p=10&o=def

Also, of course the rural property type agencies, the Wesfarmers site, the Elders site, our local (rural) real estate business advertises their stuff through realestateview, plus Weekly Times and local papers, remember more rural areas/folks are still coming to terms with the electronic age, and also internet services maybe limited or not fully realised of their potential yet....there are a few others too, umm, just can't think of them at moment...

Then there are the hobby farm specialty sites, things like alpacas, ducks, chickens, turkeys, goats, deer, certain sheepbreeds, colored sheep, minature cattle, if you happen to be in a newsagency, just have a wander around and find the hobby farm thingo stand, any one of those will have internet sites listed in the magazines, should be all sorts.

You get lots of these sort of folk:

http://www.farmforfun.com/Site_Map.html

They have feature stories, help, resources, information and types of hobby farming, whether it be animals or gourmet foods/fruit/flowers?

I'm just not sure of the sites, but the magazines are there and will have them.

Oh yes...

Peter Andrews of:

http://www.naturalsequencefarming.com/

May be of interest and also may have some relevant links. Brilliant man.

Also, considered converting into Bed and Breakfast farmstay type accom?

Last edited:
Maybe familiarise with some rural/farming type publications/sites:

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/property/index.html
Also, considered converting into Bed and Breakfast farmstay type accom?
I'd found some of those sites but there were some new ones too. Thanks. Sadly http://tinyurl.com/6fzrcp does not make one much more optimistic about the market and that article was published on 12/11 and I doubt if things have improved since than even with the interest rate cut.

B + B has been considered. My sister-in-law has been in that caper for years, much longer than most as it is a pretty demanding occupation and the area is not exactly endowed with the other attractions many expect. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Has the hobby farm / lifestyle property market tanked?

In my area I've not seen it drop any more than normal residential property. Hobby farms in my area are from 20 to 100 hectares.

See ya's.

Ditto.

I live Macedon Ranges, Hobby Farm Central! Poke with stick and you find Antique Stores, Organic Farmers and Servious Viticulture under every rock.

Our prices are steadily rising in all areas with demand as many of the CEO having given up with the recent drops in market are making the break. Add those new families wanting lifestyle (me) and you have strong interst.

What I do know is there is a definate strata to the market.

Here under $300k use to exist in 2005 but very rare now.
Note we are talking house on big block not hobby farm.

Any decent house with our without a bit of land is $300 to $500k.

And serious heritage or charm or space becomes much better value, pro rata, from $500k onwards.

Try Country Lifestyle Mag and some local areas have local REA mags like Southern Highlands NSW. Full of ponies and BMW X5 adverts.

Peter ( read my footer)

BnBs.

I have done my research and sorry but they dont make money for the cash involved. And resale is very hard.

I know of one in fairly popular area of Vic Goldfields with good rep asking $1M. Big converted pub.

Interested I asked for the books and it showed profit of $5k per annum for wages! Yes $5k. Now even with $50k in cash that is poor when you can put $1M in the Bank and get $50k no work?

Do your due diligence.:)

Peter

Back