Triplex Finance

Which bank is offering the best service and rate for financing a triplex? I understand the banks see them as high risk ventures compared with duplexes.I think we would have to give the bank control of our house, which has no debt, to finance the project.

Hi belleran,

If you are building a triplex (3 units at once), your finance options become more limited. Have you run your numbers through a broker? Perhaps if there is enough equity in your house you can avoid a construction loan altogether and make the process more simple for yourself. What are the numbers involved?

As Aaron says and you already know quite limited once you get over 2

But, just doing "inner city " dewllings at 90 % LVR at near 1500 k lend for a build and hold, so not impossible if the balance of the deal is good

ta

rolf

Land and stamp duty approx $200k. Build say $420 incl council fees, landscaping fencing etc
Our broker suggested having a LOC against our PPOR and draw from there. 80% of valuation of PPOR might be about $520k - haven't had a recent valuation

Land and stamp duty approx $200k. Build say $420 incl council fees, landscaping fencing etc
Our broker suggested having a LOC against our PPOR and draw from there. 80% of valuation of PPOR might be about $520k - haven't had a recent valuation

that would be easier for sure( certainly for the broker) but is this what will work for you middle to long term ?

are they build and flick or long term holds ?

ta
rolf

LOC against PPOR can work. Just gotta tread lightly because it is effectively a cash out and they will want to know why. Telling them you are doing it to build 3 units isn't a good reason ;)

BTW has your broker told you which lenders will do a 3-unit construction loan? Or has he said there aren't any?

Looking at the options it seemed Westpac might be the most accommodating. He had had recent experience trying to find a loan for someone else wanting to do a triplex and it did prove to be difficult to find a source of funds which had reasonable terms.

If the LOC was about $520k and the project needs about $620, how can we fund the balance?

We would have sold at least one and possibly kept the others. It may now be better to flip.

I am a little nervous borrowing so much in these uncertain times. Our area is not dependent on mining for its economic future but it is being buoyed at the moment by the expectation of increased economic activity due to future mining activity in nearby regions. And as we all know this may not eventuate as mining companies are pulling back their projects in some areas.

The broker certainly gave us warning about the things that can go wrong if we had our house as security and negative things happened like our building co. going broke and not being able to find another builder for a long period of time etc etc

Westpac resi for 3 on one title construction...I don't think so. Not sure a broker should be 'trying' for a loan unless it will most likely be approved. I have got a 4 unit construction loan for a client before, and it was an easy process.

You could borrow on the land itself so you free up cash for construction.

Looking at the options it seemed Westpac might be the most accommodating. He had had recent experience trying to find a loan for someone else wanting to do a triplex and it did prove to be difficult to find a source of funds which had reasonable terms.

If the LOC was about $520k and the project needs about $620, how can we fund the balance?

wesuck struggle with a duplex :D

Id suggest NAB, CBA or choiclend, but only if you are going to hold 2 or 3

otherwise the LOC and land loan is a better option often

t
arolf

I have just closed a LOC in the last 3-4 months we had with CBA. Do you think a phone call could help reopen the LOC without too much tape?

I have just closed a LOC in the last 3-4 months we had with CBA. Do you think a phone call could help reopen the LOC without too much tape?

nah

if the mortgage has been discharged its water under the bridge

Id suggest you pick up the phone tommorow and speak with Aaron. Your current broker while solution oriented, seems a little out of their depth, sure Im making assumptions, but I see this pattern a lot

ta
rolf

I am leaning towards LOC at the moment. It is a matter of which bank to go with. We already have loans with ANZ so want to move away from them.

Another factor is that the loan would be in the name of our family trust. My husband and I are the trustees. This again limits the choices.

Another factor is that the loan would be in the name of our family trust. My husband and I are the trustees. This again limits the choices.

Interesting

Why use DT for development ?

Not judging coz I know zip about what you are looking to do, just for the SS community ?

ta

rolf

I am leaning towards LOC at the moment. It is a matter of which bank to go with. We already have loans with ANZ so want to move away from them.

Just be careful because you are asking for a significant cash-out. Most lenders (especially the majors) will ask the purpose of the funds and I am pretty sure they will be reluctant to give it to you if the purpose is a property development. I would say a construction loan might be better if you are able to afford/get one to avoid this issue. Plus with a construction loan the bank controls the entire construction process which can be beneficial as there is an incentive for the builder to do things properly or he won't get paid!

Back