Trust and MYOB question

I am entering some info into MYOB for my Hybrid disc. trust, and am left wondering....

When the trust sells 10K units to someone for a dollar each how do I enter the $10K into MYOB? (i.e. the Trust receives $10K)

Is it "Equity" or "Liability"?

(it surely can't be a "sale", I don't want to pay income tax on the sale of my own units !!! :eek: )

The person buying the units can clasify them as an "Asset", right?

Thanks,

Nom

Last edited:
The 10k received will be entered in "Receive Money" and the account it will go to will be a "Liability Account" in that persons name.

It will not be treated as a "Sale" and will not therefore appear in a profit and loss statement.

It is purely a balance sheet entry.

Hope this helps

Hi

I treat the $10k as an equity (usually titled something like "Units Issued") because the trust has issued shares or units which provide certain ownership rights as well as income rights.

Dale

I've just looked at my copy of MYOB, and I agree with Dale,

The account number sequence would begin with 3.xxxx, but that depends on what version of MYOB and which account set up you use.
I suggest a new header number 3.1000 called "Trust Capital " or similar,
And then individual postable accounts for each Trust member such as 3.1001 for member A, then 3.1002 for member B etc.

Being a user of Sage Accounting, I am not used to the term "equity" in the balance sheet. I always consider ANYTHING that the company or trust owes to anyone, as a Liability, and that includes capital introduced :). Albeit a VERY LONG TERM liability.

Back