Trust setup costs - am I missing something?

Re: why the diff ?

Hi

No, one person set up one structure, and, another person set up two different structures.

Dale

Originally posted by chrislaw
I'm alittle confused btn the setups here, if capitalist and Tryhard setup the same trust structures both with Dale, why is one $3380 and the other $2400.

Capitalist listed a Hybrid trust and a Discretionary Trust whereas Tryhard listed it as a Hybrid Discretionary Trust.
Aren't these the same??

Can someone explain a bit more.

Thanks Chris

Originally posted by always_learning
Is this really correct?

If the trustee is a person, and the person does a bad-thing then all that is available to sue is the property that the trustee personally owns, not the assets of the trust. Why because trustee doesnt legally own the assets of the trust the are in effect just minding/babysitting them right?

My understanding is that in the case that the trustee does a bad thing, the only assets under fire are those they personally own. The trust paying for any debt that the trustee incurs only comes into effect while the trustee is incuring debts for the trust.

The only what to loose the assets is for the trust itself to do something bad like forget to pay the bank, or not insure the property against liablity and the tenant trips on a loose floor board and break his/her leg.

Yes, the only way for the trusts assets to come under fire is if the trust does the bad thing, not the trustee.

I will bow to superior knowledge on this one, but I believe this is the way it works. Dale? Nickm? Comment?

Jas

Costs also vary depending on if they include advice.

My guy charges $2500 for a trust with a corp trustee. I could have set it up much cheaper through someone else but this fee also includes ongoing advice. I've had a 4 hour working breakfast with him that cost me $15 where my old accountant would have charged me $720 ($180/hr) for the time. I beleive setting up the structrue is only part of it, knowwing how to run it to it's full potential is the key.

Jas
You are correct.
In any case it is important, particularly with a corporate trustee to state in what capacity it is entering into a transaction.

NickM

Originally posted by NickM
Jas
You are correct.
In any case it is important, particularly with a corporate trustee to state in what capacity it is entering into a transaction.

NickM

Just to further what NickM said, your have to state what capacity the trustee is acting in in the trustee's minutes. Suppliers ect won't care.

Jas

Back